+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath question: swear, affirm, or swear or affirm?

isilrion

May 25, 2012
The oath reads "I swear (or affirm) ... " What does that mean? Do we have to recite "I swear or affirm"? or do we have to pick one of the words? Who picks it, the judge, the oath-taker? Is there a difference? What happens if I pick the wrong one? Am I panicking for no reason?

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isilrion said:
The oath reads "I swear (or affirm) ... " What does that mean? Do we have to recite "I swear or affirm"? or do we have to pick one of the words? Who picks it, the judge, the oath-taker? Is there a difference? What happens if I pick the wrong one? Am I panicking for no reason?
Swear if your (religion/value system) allows you to do so. Affirm otherwise. Choose whatever you want.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
asaif said:
Swear if your (religion/value system) allows you to do so. Affirm otherwise. Choose whatever you want.
That's not how it was explained at my husband's citizenship ceremony by the judge. It was explained like this: Those who were becoming citizens had to "swear". Those of us who were already Canadian citizens and were just there to watch (like me) had the option to say the oath with the new citizens and "afirm".

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/ceremony/oath.asp

Allegiance to the Queen
In Canada, the Queen is our Head of State; therefore, all applicants for citizenship 14 years of age or older must swear or affirm to be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors in order to become citizens.

• Swearing accommodates those who wish to refer to their religious beliefs in the context of the citizenship ceremony.
  • Affirmation is intended to accommodate those who do not wish to use a holy book during a citizenship ceremony; instead, they make a solemn declaration without reference to any religious text.

The option to swear or affirm must be announced to the candidates, either during the preamble or immediately before the administration of the oath.

isilrion

May 25, 2012
Thank you. If the judge (or some other officer) is required to inform us of this, that's great, I can just follow her instructions. I was only vaguely aware that "swearing" had a religious meaning for some people.

Thank you for the link. I think that's clear now. Btw, the "speaking points" section explain scylla's confusion (or the judge's misstatement, whatever the case might be), because it mentions "swearing" for the oath-takers and "reaffirming" for their guests.