+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath ceremony without old passaport

Michael101

Jan 14, 2016
Hello all,
Finally i got the letter indicating the date of my citizenship oath ceremony today ;D, but there is one thing, i don't have my old passport. I have everything else except that passport which immigration never gave it to me. In my application for Canadian citizenship i told them they never gave it to me and there was no problem. At citizenship test i told them again i never got it back and again there was no issue on this.

Now, at citizenship oath ceremony do you think it will be a big issue? I hope not. I have a permanent resident card, Record of Landing and all the original documents i sent with my application.

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
All the oath invitation letters ask you to bring a lot of documents. However at the time of registration, the officer only asks for the PR card which he will then keep and not return. In our case, he only asked for PR card and after checking it , he registered us. I think this is true for most others in this forum. So I think you will be ok. Don't worry about it.
If he does ask, just explain as you have here. At most, he will ask you to make a signed declaration confirming that you don't have it.

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michael101 said:
Hello all,
Finally i got the letter indicating the date of my citizenship oath ceremony today ;D, but there is one thing, i don't have my old passport. I have everything else except that passport which immigration never gave it to me. In my application for Canadian citizenship i told them they never gave it to me and there was no problem. At citizenship test i told them again i never got it back and again there was no issue on this.

Now, at citizenship oath ceremony do you think it will be a big issue? I hope not. I have a permanent resident card, Record of Landing and all the original documents i sent with my application.
Don't worry,in my case I have an expired PR card and NO oath letter on my oath date,yet I became Canadian that day with no hassle. They'll only take your PR card,that's it.
Congratulations BTW! :D :D :D

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
If it wasn't an issue before, I doubt it will be an issue at the oath.