+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath ceremony for MINOR outside of Canada

P_A_R_I

Oct 24, 2014
Hi everyone
I have applied for citizenship for myself and my daughter and currently waiting for OATH ceremony. I am in Canada & my daughter(8 years old) is in India with my husband and schooling there only. Would it be possible if she can have her oath ceremony and later on all the processing of passport & OCI from India only? It wouldn't be possible for her to take such a long leave from school and stay in Canada for the whole processing of passport till OCI and keeping in mind the suspension of visas for Canadian citizens by India, what would be the best way out?
She is also having surgery scheduled in india for december? Can i site that while requesting for oath ceremony processing in india? My concern is like though i read minors are not required to be present at the time of oath ceremony, after having canadian pp, she can stay in india on indian pp for 3 months and can she apply for stay visa during that time?
Also to note that I would be in Canada only during time for oath ceremony and all.

Any expert advice would be really appreciated and anyone can guide me on the process for this.
Urgent.

Regards

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone
I have applied for citizenship for myself and my daughter and currently waiting for OATH ceremony. I am in Canada & my daughter(8 years old) is in India with my husband and schooling there only. Would it be possible if she can have her oath ceremony and later on all the processing of passport & OCI from India only? It wouldn't be possible for her to take such a long leave from school and stay in Canada for the whole processing of passport till OCI and keeping in mind the suspension of visas for Canadian citizens by India, what would be the best way out?
She is also having surgery scheduled in india for december? Can i site that while requesting for oath ceremony processing in india? My concern is like though i read minors are not required to be present at the time of oath ceremony, after having canadian pp, she can stay in india on indian pp for 3 months and can she apply for stay visa during that time?
Also to note that I would be in Canada only during time for oath ceremony and all.

Any expert advice would be really appreciated and anyone can guide me on the process for this.
Urgent.

Regards
Have you looked at the criteria of a child able to hold both Indian and Canadian citizenship till the age of 18?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
India doesn't allow dual citizenship so I assumed it won't be possible. Are there any exceptions?
Central Government Act
Section 4(1A) in the Citizenship Act, 1955
(1A) A minor who is a citizen of India by virtue of his section and is also a citizen of any other country shall cease to be a citizen of India if he does not renounce the citizenship or nationality of another country within six months of attaining full age.]

https://m.economictimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/devyani-khobragades-kids-eligible-for-dual-citizenship-ministry-of-home-affairs/articleshow/34996471.cms

Not an expert on this but you can dig deeper also you can consult a lawyer in India too.

Last edited:

P_A_R_I

Oct 24, 2014
Central Government Act
Section 4(1A) in the Citizenship Act, 1955
(1A) A minor who is a citizen of India by virtue of his section and is also a citizen of any other country shall cease to be a citizen of India if he does not renounce the citizenship or nationality of another country within six months of attaining full age.]

https://m.economictimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/devyani-khobragades-kids-eligible-for-dual-citizenship-ministry-of-home-affairs/articleshow/34996471.cms

Not an expert on this but you can dig deeper also you can consult a lawyer in India too.
Thats interesting to know. Thank you very much. But even than does she need to apply for india entry x visa or she can stay in india as it is?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thats interesting to know. Thank you very much. But even than does she need to apply for india entry x visa or she can stay in india as it is?
If she does not have to give up her Indian passport, she won't need a visa. But as I said earlier these are uncharted territories which may need expert opinion.

somak2001

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Hi everyone

Urgent.

Regards
Hi Pari, I have been in your situation. You can DM me and I will be able to guide you.