+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath Ceremony for Kid under 14 years (

preetav2882

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Dear Forum Members,

We are scheduled for our Oath Ceremony on 5th June 2023. We submitted a family application that includes a Kid under 14 years. At the time of filling paper application for Minor, we selected "yes" in Section 10 (Oath of A Citizenship) for our kid.

Is it mandatory for our child to attend Virtual Oath Ceremony, considering we opted for the same initially or he is still exempted? We will really appreciate any help or experience around this situation.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Dear Forum Members,

We are scheduled for our Oath Ceremony on 5th June 2023. We submitted a family application that includes a Kid under 14 years. At the time of filling paper application for Minor, we selected "yes" in Section 10 (Oath of A Citizenship) for our kid.

Is it mandatory for our child to attend Virtual Oath Ceremony, considering we opted for the same initially or he is still exempted? We will really appreciate any help or experience around this situation.
Funny enough, I have kids under 14 for whom I had selected "No" regarding oath of citiezenship. They still seem to have gotten oath invitation.

If you entered "yes" at the time of filing then the child should attend. However, if the child cannot attend, then just email the oath office and ask them if oath can proceed without attendance of the child?

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
hey I am having the same situation as you, my kid is not able to attend but we also put "yes" in the application form.
what did you end up doing?
I am thinking that we should be alright without kid attending the ceremony.

ayaron

Star Member
Aug 4, 2019
Just an update, I sent an email asking them about this situation, and just got a reply pretty quickly:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our office.

Your daughter does not need to attend her citizenship ceremony, as clients under the age of 14 do not need to be present for the oath taking. Please make sure to have your daughters IDs as well as your own (ie. PR card + health card/passport) as you will need to cut her PR card during the ceremony check in.

Warm Regards,

IRCC Official / Représentante d'IRCC – TP

so the answer is, no, kids are not mandatory to take the oath even if you mentioned in your app form under the question 10.
Excited to be Canadians soon!
Cheers!

Reactions: nsrk and smash1984

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Just an update, I sent an email asking them about this situation, and just got a reply pretty quickly:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our office.

Your daughter does not need to attend her citizenship ceremony, as clients under the age of 14 do not need to be present for the oath taking. Please make sure to have your daughters IDs as well as your own (ie. PR card + health card/passport) as you will need to cut her PR card during the ceremony check in.

Warm Regards,

IRCC Official / Représentante d'IRCC – TP

so the answer is, no, kids are not mandatory to take the oath even if you mentioned in your app form under the question 10.
Excited to be Canadians soon!
Cheers!
Thanks this is helpful

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Hey,

I've been in a somewhat similar situation. I'm currently in Canada, but my son, who's a minor at 4.5 years old, is overseas and will be there for a few months. He's the only one in my application. Since minors don't have to attend the ceremony, I'm thinking of representing both of us during the Oath. I was wondering if getting his PR card cut after the Oath would work. Since you've already been through the Oath ceremony, could you please share your experience and let me know if this would work? What kind of questions do the officers typically ask about the minor? Do they inquire about whether the minor is in Canada or not? Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

zohaib52

Apr 7, 2014
Thanks this is helpful
Hey,
I've been in a somewhat similar situation. I'm currently in Canada, but my son, who's a minor at 4.5 years old, is overseas and will be there for a few months. He's the only one in my application. Since minors don't have to attend the ceremony, I'm thinking of representing both of us during the Oath. I was wondering if getting his PR card cut after the Oath would work. Since you've already been through the Oath ceremony, could you please share your experience and let me know if this would work? What kind of questions do the officers typically ask about the minor? Do they inquire about whether the minor is in Canada or not? Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hey,
I've been in a somewhat similar situation. I'm currently in Canada, but my son, who's a minor at 4.5 years old, is overseas and will be there for a few months. He's the only one in my application. Since minors don't have to attend the ceremony, I'm thinking of representing both of us during the Oath. I was wondering if getting his PR card cut after the Oath would work. Since you've already been through the Oath ceremony, could you please share your experience and let me know if this would work? What kind of questions do the officers typically ask about the minor? Do they inquire about whether the minor is in Canada or not? Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Getting the PR card cut would be a problem because then traveling to Canada will be an issue. So he doesn't need to attend, but he should be in Canada. Airlines won't allow him to board without PR card or visa.

Another option is that if he has US visa on another passport, then he can fly to US, drive to Canada border, then cross over on his citizenship certificate.

rdkbsim

Sep 14, 2023
Wanted to know if some one has this situation. LPP completed for Parents and Minor application shows as just prohibition competed remaining all in process for Minor. is this normal for applications for family with Minor? Will Everything turn green for Minor after oath?

Reactions: desmat

SunshineJA

May 19, 2019
Jamaica
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston,JA
App. Filed.......
06-06-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
File Transfer...
04-09-2019
Med's Request
19-08-2019
Med's Done....
28-08-2019
Interview........
06-02-2020
Passport Req..
29-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2020
LANDED..........
21-02-2020
Wanted to know if some one has this situation. LPP completed for Parents and Minor application shows as just prohibition competed remaining all in process for Minor. is this normal for applications for family with Minor? Will Everything turn green for Minor after oath?
Yes very normal. Same as my minor daughter only prohibition. But we swore our oath last month. Also it’s when the parents profile is complete then theirs will be complete. However only prohibition and oath ceremony also e will show green

Reactions: desmat

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
I had chosen for the question on - "whether the kid is attending the ceremony" as NO. I just got oath invite email. I do not see the seat details for kids. In that case, Can they still attend? If they cannot, how would kids get their citizenship certificate?

AJ2023

Feb 8, 2023
Hi everyone, do minors/kids under 14 years receive an invite for the oath ceremony?
Me and my husband received the invite but our kid did not receive an invite. I am wondering if I should followup or let it be. He will be attending the ceremony with us

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
Hi everyone, do minors/kids under 14 years receive an invite for the oath ceremony?
Me and my husband received the invite but our kid did not receive an invite. I am wondering if I should followup or let it be. He will be attending the ceremony with us
Haven't reached this stage but it's better if you call and let them know about this since I read a case where the certificate of the child was delayed because they hadn't got the invite.

Reactions: AJ2023