+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath came, PR expired and renewal in process, outside of Canada..

pxu061

Aug 14, 2023
Dear all,

I have a situation here - 1) PR renewal still in process, 2) Citizenship Oath invitation comes (August 23), 3) outside of the Canada. I do have a COPR but that's issued in 2018... Would I be able to enter Canada with it from the US, and would I be able to take the oath?

I definitely met the PR renewal requirement, but it just took them over 5 months to review for some reason.. Would contact MP help in this case?

Appreciate the help everyone!

Best,
Paul

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

I have a situation here - 1) PR renewal still in process, 2) Citizenship Oath invitation comes (August 23), 3) outside of the Canada. I do have a COPR but that's issued in 2018... Would I be able to enter Canada with it from the US, and would I be able to take the oath?

I definitely met the PR renewal requirement, but it just took them over 5 months to review for some reason.. Would contact MP help in this case?

Appreciate the help everyone!

Best,
Paul
If you have your COPR or expired PR card, then you can certainly re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. No issues there.

Reactions: pxu061

pxu061

Aug 14, 2023
If you have your COPR or expired PR card, then you can certainly re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. No issues there.
Thank you!
But I've heard there are cases where the Canadian officials would deny you or strip your PR status... Feel like there's a risk? Would delaying the ceremony be a safer bet...? Thanks again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you!
But I've heard there are cases where the Canadian officials would deny you or strip your PR status... Feel like there's a risk? Would delaying the ceremony be a safer bet...? Thanks again!
This is bad information.

CBSA cannot deny entry and do not have the power to strip anyone of PR status.

You may be confusing Canadian and US rules. CBP has the power to strip people of their green cards and deny entry.

Delaying the citizenship ceremony does not make sense to me.

pxu061

Aug 14, 2023
This is bad information.

CBSA cannot deny entry and do not have the power to strip anyone of PR status.

You may be confusing Canadian and US rules. CBP has the power to strip people of their green cards and deny entry.

Delaying the citizenship ceremony does not make sense to me.
This is great news for me... Thanks so much! Excuse me for one last question just out of curiousity. Does it mean that as long as someone has a CoPR and US visa, he/she can always enter Canada through the land border, even without a valid PR...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This is great news for me... Thanks so much! Excuse me for one last question just out of curiousity. Does it mean that as long as someone has a CoPR and US visa, he/she can always enter Canada through the land border, even without a valid PR...
Not exactly.

Valid PR and valid PR card are two different things. If your PR itself is no longer valid (meaning you've lost your PR status), then the COPR cannot be used to circumvent this and enter Canada. You're simply no longer a PR.

If your PR card is no longer valid but you are still a PR, then you can enter Canada this way. However one risk (which doesn't apply to you) is if you do not meet the PR residency obligation, the CBSA officer can report you. You'll still be allowed to enter Canada however the CBSA officer report will trigger a process to revoke your PR status (for failing to meet RO) which you then have to appeal.

pxu061

Aug 14, 2023
Not exactly.

Valid PR and valid PR card are two different things. If your PR itself is no longer valid (meaning you've lost your PR status), then the COPR cannot be used to circumvent this and enter Canada. You're simply no longer a PR.

If your PR card is no longer valid but you are still a PR, then you can enter Canada this way. However one risk (which doesn't apply to you) is if you do not meet the PR residency obligation, the CBSA officer can report you. You'll still be allowed to enter Canada however the CBSA officer report will trigger a process to revoke your PR status (for failing to meet RO) which you then have to appeal.
Ahh.. this appears so much clearer to me now. Thank you so so much!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Wondering if withdrawing the PR card renewal app would be suggested in OP’s case since he already has an oath date and will enter on the expired COPR anyway. Pretty sure mailing times will take the same time until OP’s oath date.

alternatively, he can withdraw after the oath is completed

pxu061

Aug 14, 2023
Wondering if withdrawing the PR card renewal app would be suggested in OP’s case since he already has an oath date and will enter on the expired COPR anyway. Pretty sure mailing times will take the same time until OP’s oath date.

alternatively, he can withdraw after the oath is completed
Thanks! Wondering why do I need to withdraw, is it to avoid having a new PR card after becoming a citizen?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks! Wondering why do I need to withdraw, is it to avoid having a new PR card after becoming a citizen?
Yeah even if you get a renewed PR card before the oath somehow, it becomes moot once you become a citizen. (They will ask you to cut your PR card on the video call.)

I don’t exactly remember if ongoing PR card renewals are automatically cancelled when you do the oath, you might want to ask the officer or someone here can clear it up.