+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Oath 2 weeks before my travel date

jaggibrijesh

May 11, 2010
Hi Guys,
i just received a letter saying i have a oath ceremony to attend on Feb-10. Great news but unfortunately i have a vacation planned on feb-25th.

I am going to India , which means i have to do the following in 2 weeks ???
1> Get a Canadian passport
2> Surrender Indian Passport
3> Apply Indian Visa ??

I read somewhere i can keep 2 passports for 3 moths and use them for travel???
Prompt response will be appreciated.

-J

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
jaggibrijesh said:
Hi Guys,
i just received a letter saying i have a oath ceremony to attend on Feb-10. Great news but unfortunately i have a vacation planned on feb-25th.

3> Apply Indian Visa ??

-J
Congratulations!

Once you receive your oath, it will take 2-3 days for you to apply for passport and it will take anywhere around 10 business days if you submit the application in person which means you will get your passport anywhere around 27th Feb and then you have to apply for indian visa which will also take some time. Please reschedule your plans to visit india because you are one of the luckiest person who will have privilege of getting Canadian passport and you should not miss the oath.

You have another choice to reschedule your oath but I won't recommend it. Please get your oath and reschedule your plans to India.

Good luck!

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaggibrijesh said:
Hi Guys,

3> Apply Indian Visa ??

-J
Yes, I also heard we can keep two PPs for 3 months

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiarachel85 said:
Yes, I also heard we can keep two PPs for 3 months
Good news......... Its confirmed: http://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

You can travel within 3 months

huluewo

Jan 26, 2015
Also about the Canadian passport, i recently talked to an CIC info desk clerk.
He told me that we can apply for CAN passport three days after the ceremony (no you cannot apply the same day, which sucks, cause my CIC location had a passport office in the same building), and if you need it badly, you can pay I believe $50 to speed up the process from 10 day to 24 hours.

Good luck.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not travel on old passport when you have acquired the new passport as you loose your legal validity of Indian passport the moment you get oath certificate.
BLS site does not say that you can travel on Indian passport.

BLS site says "Penalty for Retention of Passport for than 3 years of acquiring Foreign Citizenship should not be charged to the applicant if the applicant travels within 3 months of acquisition of foreign citizenship as they are given a grace period of 3 months. " Does this line make sense?

It is trying to say that if you have not surrendered Indian passport and travelled (with valid visa) you will not be panelized for not surrendering. It is not saying that you can travel on Indian passport (it becomes legally invalid even if not surrendered the moment you take oath )

"It is a punishable offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967 to apply for an Indian passport, continue to hold an Indian passport, get an Indian passport re-issued or travel on an Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship"

One of my friend had the same situation.
1. He applied Canadian passport with his travel ticket after 2 business days ( it's 2 business days wait not 3) of Oath. Got passport same day.
2. Went to Indian consulate applied for visitor visa and same time applied for " Renunciation/Surrender Certificate".
3. Got his visitor visa same day and they sent him the "Surrender Certificate" later.

In general Canadian passport take 5-6 business day though they say max 10 business days.

You should make your best decision.

jaggibrijesh

May 11, 2010
Thanks a lot Guys,
yes looks like, i am okay to use two passports and travel for next 3 months. Will take a print of bls-canada page too.

Got this from BLS-CANADA : http://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
Penalties

Penalty for Retention of Passport for than 3 years of acquiring Foreign Citizenship should not be charged to the applicant if the applicant travels within 3 months of acquisition of foreign citizenship as they are given a grace period of 3 months.

jaggibrijesh

May 11, 2010
Just a thought,
can i enter canada with a Citizenship Certificate ?

If i dont apply for a Canadian passport, i still have only one indian passport and that serves the purpose ??

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaggibrijesh said:
Just a thought,

If i dont apply for a Canadian passport, i still have only one indian passport and that serves the purpose ??
Once you get your citizenship certificate you are a Canadian Citizen. Passport is only a travel document. I think your best bet is to attend the ceremony and inform the CIC officer helping you to register for Oath that you need them to expedite the entry into system so that you can apply for the Canadian passport next day. Here you will have to pray that they can find you in the passport system the next day. I have seen many applying the very next day. In Canadian passport apply for the emergency one to get it within 24 hours ($110 processing fee extra). Once you have your Canadian passport apply for visit visa to India BLS or 365 Bloor St E. You can technically all of this done within 2 weeks. Only thing is additional expense ($110 for passport + Indian visit visa) also when you come back you still have to apply for OCI.
So the choice is if you want to go through this above process or ask CIC to postpone your Oath. Go to India enjoy your vacation. Come back take the oath whenever they reschedule it. surrender passport and apply OCI.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
jaggibrijesh said:
Just a thought,

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

You need to use the passport only.

jaggibrijesh

May 11, 2010
Thanks , that makes sense.

So i can travel without surrendering Indian Passport?
Most importantly can get a Indian visa without surrendering Indian passport ?

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaggibrijesh said:

If you don't passport as a travel document. you can comeback and surrender it.

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaggibrijesh said:

Why not get a visitor visa by applying in person? You have a lot of time.
If the consulate guys tell you that you can travel on Indian passport you are good else get a visitor visa.
And yes you can get visitor visa and apply for surrender certificate same day.