+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

O Canada!

Avalanche87

Jul 13, 2007
Hello, I've come to all of you knowledgeable people with a couple of inquiries.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for four years, long distance -- he lives in Quebec, Canada, and I live in Michigan, USA. We visit eachother every month, or every other month, after the first year of being together. Either I go there, or he comes here. We have letters, emails, 'phone records, texting records, MSN message records.. pictures, ticket stubs, family member testimonies.. etc. I have no children, I've never been married, nor does/has he. He just graduated and is seeking a stable job within his desired field and will most likely have a decent job within the next couple of weeks.. we'd like to pursue a conjugal visa, with him sponsoring me, both of us living in Quebec (my major is French language and literature, so this works out rather well!).

First of all, what are the exact steps to the process? I am aware of what it entails, however, not the exact order. Would it be faster if we applied from within Canada? Or from within the United States?

Do we have to mail our "proof" with the package of forms? Do I mail my passport in, too? Or do they ask for it at a later time?

I know that Quebec (<3) has its own standards and regulations for immigration into the province, and that I must file a separate immigration form, but when do I do this? Do I file both the national forms and the provincial forms at the same time? I am aware that there are two separate fees.

Seeing as we have a very simple case, no children, no previous marriages or current marriages, no medical conditions, will obtaining a visa take 13 months as 80% of them do?

I guess this is a start.. I tried to break it up into paragraphs do you all don't fall asleep reading. :) I'm sure I'll come up with more questions.

Any help would be appreciated.. I am sure many of you know what it feels like to be in one place, when your heart is in another.

Merci beaucoup,

Tiffany (+Pascal!)

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Hi Tiffany,

I guess I should start by saying that I'm not sure you'll qualify for conjugal partner sponsorship. Take a look at the CIC website and see what you think:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp#conjugal

No matter which form of sponsorship you go with, your partner will sponsor you from within Canada. You don't have a choice to do it from the U.S. unless you are qualifying on your own under the skilled worker category, e.g.

I also suggest you take a look at this website and download all the relevant forms and guides. They will answer most of your questions. Then if you have more, you should come back and pick our brains. ;)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

Good luck!

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
Hi Tiffany. I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you that I am in a similar situation. I live in Pennsylvania and my now fiance lives in Ontario. We traveled back and forth the last two years. We do not fall under conjugal category because the only thing keeping us apart was the fact that I didn't want to give up my job. So, we are getting married in three weeks and then I will return home and he will stay in Ontario and sponsor me while I am in the US. I can't work in Canada until I receive PR so I'm continuing my job for another year in the US. We were faced with a similar dilemma and it is very frustrating, but we're happy to be getting married and are willing to be patient with the paperwork to make sure we are legal. I haven't sent anything in yet because I plan on doing so after we're married, but if you have any other questions that you think I might be able to answer, let me know. I found out most of my information from the CIC website and this lovely forum that I've been reading for the past year and a half.