+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nursing Jobs in BC

Big_Canuck

Jul 11, 2010
Hello, I am in the process of sponsoring my wife to move to Vancouver with me (I am a Canadian citizen, she is Austrian).

She has been a nurse in Austria for 9 years working in the emergency and palliative care units.

What are the job opportunities for foreign nurses (her English is very good) like in BC?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Contact Healthmatch BC, see http://www.healthmatchbc.org/ or check the job bank, see http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res-eng.aspx?CommGrouping=GBC006&Keyword=nurse&OfferpPage=50&Student=No

There has been a shortage of nurses in BC for the last few years.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Im also a nurse in Ontario. Currently doing my PhD in workforce integration of internationally educated nurses at U of T.

The nursing job market is good. I should say, the main thing you should consider is if her credentials will be recognized. I hope she has a bachelors degree in nursing. If she doesnt then it may prove difficult. However, she may be able to get registered as a licenced practical nurse. Once she is able to get her credentials recognized, she will be able to get a job. Now the job market in Canada is not as strong as it was before, however, there is still a nursing shortage. In the first few years she MAY not be able to get a full time job. However, there is great likelihood that she will be able to work full time hours. She may work part time for multiple agencies.

Hope this helps.

karanips2000

Nov 6, 2010
hello..
iam a GNM nurse from india. i have worked in saudi arabia in geriatrics department( ministry of health) for about 8 years and 3 years in maternity and child health care department
so can anyone tell me what would i have to do to work in canada ..any exam i need to take to get myself registered

thank you..!

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need to apply to a nurses association (usually college of nurses) in a specific province. Once you do this, they will verify if your credentials are enough or if you need extra upgrading. You can begin this process before you arrive in canada. To work as a nurse in most province in canada you need a bachelors degree in nursing. Once this is done, they will give you approval to write the canadian registered nurses exam, which everyone must write to become a nurse in canada.

alainapalmer

Dec 23, 2010
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,I am an American and I have completed my degree as a nurse in one of the American University..I am looking forward to move Canada very soon and want to know is it easy for me to get a job in my field over there? What paper work I have to complete before going..I have to apply for work permit before moving there? Can I continue my practice in Canada or it will be illegal over there? I really don't have any kind of idea..What is the scope over there? Lots of questions..Please help!
Thanks in advance..

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only comment I'd make is that I personally know a number of new nurses that have had difficulty finding nursing jobs in Canada and have gone to the US for positions and have got better pay.

My limited understanding is that it's strictly a volume/lack of positions issue - this may be more prominent in larger cities and there may be more positions in smaler communities or outside of hospitals but in nursing homes, or any service connected with the aging public.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I agree with Career coach that it may be easier to get jobs in rural areas or nursing homes.

Thank you

Apr 23, 2011
Hello,
I am 23 years old, I am a recent graduate in "BSc nursing" from Rajindra collage of nursing, Patiala, Punjab, India. I have a good knowledge of English, i have scored 7 bands in IELTS. I have also passed CRNE exam of canada. I have a one year and nine months experience in staff nursing. i can use the computer and have some experience in laboratory at hospital.

I hope to find a job soon in Canada to get a work permit my field
I have a great will to learn, to progress in my professional field.

I hope somebody can help me

Thanks!!

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should try to not post in multiple places.

Wait to have two years experience. Hence, wait till June or July and apply to migrate as a skilled worker

nurzkit

May 22, 2011
Hi. I am a nurse in the philippines but works as a clinical instructor. i plan to land in BC but i am not quite sure whether there's a lot of job opportunities for nurses.. i just received the PPR and i would like to start registering in BC so by the time i arrive in canada, if permited, i will write the registering body for the exam.... i hope i am making the best decision.

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your plan sounds good. You should start the registration process before you leave your country. Once you are registered, you may not get a permanent full time job. But you should be able to get several part time or casual jobs that amount to full time working hours