+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOW that travel is restricted, Is landing still allowed. Are parent immediate family?

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
As some of you may know that Canada has restricted the entry into Canada to only Canadian Citizens and Residents because of the Coronavirus restrictions. So my parents are booked to do their landing in 5 days (as their landing visa expires in just 10 days), but Govt is only allowing travel to Immediate family of current Citizens. Do you think when my parents arrive they will be given this exception? are parents considered immediate family members?

Earlspencer

Oct 20, 2019
I wanna know as well, my parents land here this Thursday, 19th of March, and have their COPR/Visa for entry into Canada as new immigrants. Are they still allowed to enter with the new updates on Canada limiting only Permanent residents and Citizens allowed to enter Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As some of you may know that Canada has restricted the entry into Canada to only Canadian Citizens and Residents because of the Coronavirus restrictions. So my parents are booked to do their landing in 5 days (as their landing visa expires in just 10 days), but Govt is only allowing travel to Immediate family of current Citizens. Do you think when my parents arrive they will be given this exception? are parents considered immediate family members?
Assuming you mean that they have visa and COPR, wait and read detailed instructions/regs. Also contact your MPs office. There will be instructions and published regulations and I suspect these will be more clear.

Note there is a separate release that suggests that those who have landing delayed because of travel restrictions will be able to get them extended.

My guess - only a guess - is that they will be allowed to but there is possibility the regulations won't be clear. Sometimes it happens when new changes are introdcued quickly. At any rate, I think it likely they won't lose their possibility to land, but may see some delays.

Reactions: Belarusian

Earlspencer

Oct 20, 2019
I am under the same impression, so will be letting them travel and see how it goes, although unsafe to do so currently with the virus catching on especially if flights are via Europe. I also plan to call CBSA and find out. Any other insight here would be helpful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am under the same impression, so will be letting them travel and see how it goes, although unsafe to do so currently with the virus catching on especially if flights are via Europe. I also plan to call CBSA and find out. Any other insight here would be helpful.
You may have trouble reaching CBSA. Use social media. Are you sure their flight is not cancelled. Will they have healthcare if they get sick. There can be up to a 3 month wait period for coverage. Have you been able to purchase health insurance that covers covid 19 if they won’t have coverage? That should factor into your decisions as well.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Good points raised above, and I want to underline - I'm fairly confident it will work out eventually but really hard to say whether trying to keep your original travel plans is possible or the best solution.

mmahedihasan

Star Member
Apr 23, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
my parents are scheduled to fly on 26th March for PR landing. Not sure whether they will be able to fly anymore :(

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
my parents are scheduled to fly on 26th March for PR landing. Not sure whether they will be fly anymore :(
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

"Permanent residence applicants who are in possession of a confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) and permanent resident visa (PRV) and inform us, by submitting a web form to IRCC, that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:"

The details are not yet clear, but if they should get delayed, the government seems to want to help work things out.

Reactions: mmahedihasan

mmahedihasan

Star Member
Apr 23, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
Thank you for the link, waiting for more updates as the situation evolves.

freek4iphone

Star Member
Mar 20, 2012
I get an impression from the link that people with valid COPR and PRV are encouraged to land. And should not have issues. But it's not 100% clear.