+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2021 - Citizenship applications

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
Any Nov 2021 applicant left with no update on LPP & Oath ? My AOR was Feb 02, 2022. No update since Mar 2, 2023.
The current processing time is 19 months, so when your time comes in July, you may contact your MP. However, in your case, you may contact earlier too as nothing is completed except AOR. It is quite awkward and mental pressure. I can feel it. Hope your file will move soon.

Sandy5859

Jun 17, 2023
The current processing time is 19 months, so when your time comes in July, you may contact your MP. However, in your case, you may contact earlier too as nothing is completed except AOR. It is quite awkward and mental pressure. I can feel it. Hope your file will move soon.
Me too application sent on Nov 2021 no LLP update till yet

Pri1090

Star Member
Sep 24, 2018
Try calling IRCC as your application has now exceeded the standard processing timeline of 19 months. I did just that on June 8th and asked to have a review of my file. My LPP was updated a few days later. Not sure if that was the reason but it's worth trying. If an agent refuses to help call again the next day and speak to another one. I am still waiting for an oath to be scheduled so hopefully soon
Thanks I'll give it a try. I have been trying to call them, but the call disconnects due to a higher volume of calls. :(

WelCanada

Star Member
Feb 7, 2022
My oath will be with the Edmonton office and I heard a lot of horrible experiences of Edmonton IRCC as they really don't care to send citizenship certificates on time. Is it true? Is anyone from the Edmonton office? Plz share your experience.

4Raj

Star Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi everyone,
The oath went well. My file was approved and closed on June 5, 2023. (updated on tracker today)

The full time line is in the signature. If you have questions, let me know. Thanks.
Certificate received today. Sent out on June 14.

Reactions: Rutherfords

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
Hi, if a kid is born outside of Canada during the citizenship application process do we have to update IRCC about this in anyway? I am thinking we don’t have to as they haven’t inquired about dependent children in the citizenship application form. Still thought I’d ask around here to make sure as I am at the last stage of the process and I don’t want anything jeopardizing my application after more than 1.5year of waiting :) Thanks!

sj1234567

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
For your questions:
- At anytime during the citizenship processing, inform IRCC of any changes to your application, including change of address, if you left the country, and your child birth when it occurs. Pregnancy is not something that IRCC requires you report while they process your application.
- To inform of any changes to your application including the birth of your child, you contact IRCC via webform and send them your child's birth certificate. This process goes for whether you applied online or offline, whether your child is born in Canada or outside of Canada.
- Process to contact IRCC is via webform can be found on IRCC's website.
- If child is born before husband applies to citizenship, yes child will be included in husbands application regardless of he applies paper or online
- if child is born after husband applies to citizenship, yes husband should inform IRCC using webform. Same applies to you if your application is still processed at any time (even if you give birth after oath and prior to receiving your certificate, or even after obtaining citizenship certificate and not yet applied for passport, or even after applying for passport and not yet received it).

I hope this answers your question. To the 2nd part on husband applying for citizenship while outside of Canada, I hope he fulfilled the 1095 days physical presence as there is no working around that. Also assuming he lived in Canada prior to becoming PR, he can only claim 365 days of his time as Temporary resident (on student visa or work permit) in his 1095 days. I am assuming you calculated the 1095 days of physical presence in the 5 years eligibility.

For citizenship of child born outside of Canada, NEITHER you NOR your husband can pass citizenship to the child born outside of Canada as NONE of you is born in Canada.

Details:

Passing the citizenship to a child born outside of Canada is a bit of a complicated process (especially when on PR and OUTSIDE of Canada). Basically as naturalized citizen, you'll have to apply for PR for your child and for him/her to obtain Canadian citizenship, they'd have to go through the process (1095 days physical presence in Canada except if Canadian naturalized parent works for Canadian government outside of Canada).
As far as my understanding of the citizenship acquisition law, If child is born outside of Canada while parents on PR, same rule applies. However if you lose your PR while your child is on PR, this is problematic (for instance to bring back the child to live in Canada to fulfill the 1095 days, you or father need valid immigration status to travel with the child who has the PR). Same complexity goes to the case if child gets PR but does no fulfill the 1095 days (assuming you and husband get citizenship but child remains on PR). At one point you need to go back to Canada to live there so child fulfills the 1095 as far as my understanding of the below. I don't think the child will keep PR status if he/she lives outside of Canada indefinitely while parents are naturalized citizens. Child risks loosing PR if the time spent outside of Canada as PR exceeds 2 years within the given PR period. Child can choose to apply for PR when they become adult if they establish some links to Canada (we don't know how the law will change in the future, but as you see, the child will not get automatic citizenship. PR is also not to be taken for granted as it requires the child to live in Canada for at least 1095 days - 3 years within 5 years of eligibility to apply for CAN citizenship, regardless of your own status CAN Citizen or PR -- the case gets worse if you as an applicant lose your PR status!)

Luckily, you are NOT pregnant yet. Just thinking about those scenarios is anxiety-inducing and mind-bogling to be honest lol!! So all this is just hypothetical. I recommend you check with an immigration lawyer when you ACTUALLY fall pregnant and ask the lawyer about your options if you deem that living in Canada is not possible for the moment or for years to come. If that's the case, I was wondering if it might not be easier to give birth to your child in Canada and spare yourself and your child the hassle? As you will see from the below, you won't be able to pass your citizenship automatically to your child due to the changes of citizenship acquisition law of 2009 as neither you nor your husband are Canadian first generations born in Canada.

Here is the citizenship acquisition laws to give you an idea:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/acquisition-loss/acquisition.html

Here is basically:

Citizen by descent [paragraph 3(1)(b)]
Citizen’s date of birth: on or after February 15, 1977
Paragraph 3(1)(b) sets out that a person is a Canadian citizen if that person is born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after February 15, 1977.
Persons born outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009
Aside from a few exceptions described under subsection 3(5), the amendments to the Citizenship Act introduced on April 17, 2009, now generally limit citizenship by descent to persons who are born to a Canadian parent abroad in the first generation. Since April 17, 2009, a person who is born outside Canada to a Canadian parent is automatically a Canadian citizen by birth only if that person is of the first generation born outside Canada.
Note: It is possible that a person born outside Canada to a Canadian parent on or after April 17, 2009, will be stateless because the person is not recognized as a Canadian citizen due in part to the first-generation limit to citizenship by descent and in part to the person concerned not having acquired any other citizenship either by descent or by birth on soil because of other countries’ own domestic citizenship laws. In such cases, refer to subsection 5(5) of the Citizenship Act, which sets out the requirements for a grant of Canadian citizenship to stateless persons born outside Canada to a Canadian parent.

-----

While searching, I happened to stumble on this. Some of this information appears to be incorrect. During an ongoing citizenship application if there is childbirth there is no obligation to inform as dependent information was not requested as part of the citizenship application (so no changes to the given information) or such life events are not explicitly mentioned anywhere as changes that require updating IRCC. Confused :(

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018
I emailed SCR oath office on Saturday night as my LPP was completed since June 2nd and in the response they said oath is scheduled for July 13th 1:30 PM. Tracker is not updated with anything and no oath email. Keeping fingers crossed that oath email comes through, Also the email response came at 05:14 AM EST time so I wonder if it an auto generated email or is IRCC asking employees to work overtime.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I emailed SCR oath office on Saturday night as my LPP was completed since June 2nd and in the response they said oath is scheduled for July 13th 1:30 PM. Tracker is not updated with anything and no oath email. Keeping fingers crossed that oath email comes through, Also the email response came at 05:14 AM EST time so I wonder if it an auto generated email or is IRCC asking employees to work overtime.
Auto generated mail won't have date and time of oath. They have static response.

bd2017

Mar 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
Just received my certificate! Posting my full timeline once more.

Type: Online
IRCC Office: Vancouver
Physical Presence Days: 11xx
Application: Single
Application sent: November 14,2021
AOR: February 08, 2022
Background: March 6, 2023
Test Invite: March 20, 2023
Test Interview Date: March 27- April 17, 2023
Test Completed on Tracker: April 5, 2023
LPP: May 12, 2023
OATH: June 6,2023

Officially signing out! I hope everyone gets their applications finalized soon. Thank you for all the help and support.