+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2018 - Citizenship Applications

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Thanks for your comment.
The problem is that I've already planned my moving (flight tickets + shipping my stuff scheduled by a moving company).
I can wait if there is no serious problem about transferring my test/interview to Ottawa.
I am not sure what the normal procedure would be regarding my case.
If I write to the Saskatoon office informing them of my situation, will they transfer my interview to Ottawa? what else they could do?
And one more question. Do the test/interview and oath have to be in the same city?

Thanks for your help in advance.
From what I have seen in the forum, people who move from one city to another will first need to update their address on ecas or via phone call. BUT this doesnt mean ur file will also be moved to your new city/local office as this has to be formally requested via letter or call CIC and approved - all depends on them if they approve the transfer or not.

Obviously that whole process of transferring your file will cause delay. If your file gets moved to new local office, you will have to wait again for who-knows-until-when to be scheduled for an exam and interview. Basically, this will just take time and you will have to wait longer, but yes save money.

It really depends on you but if I were in your place, I wont transfer my file and proceed with my test/interview scheduled.

Test/Interview and Oath will take place wherever your application is being processed. If you decide to request for a transfer after test and it gets approved, then Oath will be in your new city. Again, this will still cause additional delay.

Reactions: ali64mon

dr tarekk

Champion Member
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all,

This is the status of my citizenship application.

Submitted: November 23rd, 2018.
AOR: February 7th, 2019.
In progress: March 14th, 2019.
Invited for test/interview: May 6th, 2019.
Date/location of interview/test: May 30th in Saskatoon.

I am moving from Saskatoon to Ottawa one week before my citizenship test/interview. So, basically I have two options:
1. Have a short trip to Saskatoon for the citizenship interview. It, however, costs me about $1000.
2. Reschedule my interview to make it happen in Ottawa.

What do you suggest?
Do know how much the interview could get postponed in case of option 2.

Regards.
This is answer to your question,i quoted it from CIC website .
for more details click on this link also ,by the way the offices are so slow regrading transferring the file,in my case the officer in Winnipeg was so strict with Mississauga ,he told them in last email to send my file as soon as possible since this applicant has schedule for test and ceremony soon,next day my file was on its way by purolator,so you can see this communication was between officer and another ,moreover i have been scheduled for test and ceremony,this is the link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/sending-applications-changes-address.html

Guidelines on transfer requests
The following guidelines have been developed to assist offices in responding to transfer requests.

Some regions may require specific procedures for their local offices with regard to file transfers among those offices. However, these policies should recognize that some files will need to be transferred from one region to another. Those counseling clients should be aware that different approaches may be taken within regions. Also, if a client has informed CIC of an address change, the file should not be abandoned or administratively closed before the local office has made sure that the person was sent the required number of notices to the right address.

• The local CIC office makes the final decision regarding whether or not the file will be transferred.
  • The local office will transfer the file to the new office within six weeks of notification of change of address. If the office is not able to make the transfer within this time for reasons other than waiting on fingerprint results or because the file is with a citizenship judge, the office will make a note in GCMS so that the Call Centre can answer any inquiries. If there is no indication in GCMS that the file was transferred or if there is no case note in GCMS within six weeks, the Call Centre will make a referral to the local office. If a client inquires about a file transfer before the six week period, the Call Centre will advise the client to call back after the six week period for an update, if necessary.
  • Transfers should not occur within the Greater Toronto Area, except in exceptional cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: A1969 and ali64mon

ali64mon

Sep 4, 2015
for more details click on this link also ,by the way the offices are so slow regrading transferring the file,in my case the officer in Winnipeg was so strict with Mississauga ,he told them in last email to send my file as soon as possible since this applicant has schedule for test and ceremony soon,next day my file was on its way by purolator,so you can see this communication was between officer and another ,moreover i have been scheduled for test and ceremony,this is the link

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/general-file-processing/sending-applications-changes-address.html

The following guidelines have been developed to assist offices in responding to transfer requests.

Some regions may require specific procedures for their local offices with regard to file transfers among those offices. However, these policies should recognize that some files will need to be transferred from one region to another. Those counseling clients should be aware that different approaches may be taken within regions. Also, if a client has informed CIC of an address change, the file should not be abandoned or administratively closed before the local office has made sure that the person was sent the required number of notices to the right address.

• The local CIC office makes the final decision regarding whether or not the file will be transferred.
  • The local office will transfer the file to the new office within six weeks of notification of change of address. If the office is not able to make the transfer within this time for reasons other than waiting on fingerprint results or because the file is with a citizenship judge, the office will make a note in GCMS so that the Call Centre can answer any inquiries. If there is no indication in GCMS that the file was transferred or if there is no case note in GCMS within six weeks, the Call Centre will make a referral to the local office. If a client inquires about a file transfer before the six week period, the Call Centre will advise the client to call back after the six week period for an update, if necessary.
  • Transfers should not occur within the Greater Toronto Area, except in exceptional cases.
My concern about the address change is that my new address in Ottawa will be valid from June 1st. Besides that, I am moving on May 26th.
Having this said, I was planning to change my address on CIC website as soon as I arrive in Ottawa.

Anyway, I think I should have a short trip to Saskatoon for the test/interview. After the interview, I'll inform them of my new address in Ottawa.

Thanks for your help.

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada

Thanks for the information, its really useful
I am also planing to move by july 1st to brampton, ontario
My test is next month in calgary on june 14th, i was planing to come back to calgary for oath but saw the flights they are expensive so i am thinking about changing address to brampton after test around june end

Reactions: ali64mon

ali64mon

Sep 4, 2015
My test is next month in calgary on june 14th, i was planing to come back to calgary for oath but saw the flights they are expensive so i am thinking about changing address to brampton after test around june end
That is my plan too.

Panka79

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you looked at flairair prices? They arent too bad. Im moving to Ottawa as well and seeing how their processing office working Im leaning towards to fly back for my oath to Edmonton

cheire

Champion Member
Jan 19, 2016
Canada
Have you looked at flairair prices? They arent too bad. Im moving to Ottawa as well and seeing how their processing office working Im leaning towards to fly back for my oath to Edmonton
Many of these airlines don’t come to calgary but they do come to edmonton
I checked swoop, air transit, flair all these new cheap ones, they are going to be expensive, i also want to come back for oath ceremony because calgary office is fast then brampton
I’ll see my test is on 14th and i am moving around june 30th, if i get the invite before 30th , i’ll come if not then i’ll try to change the address
I am really confused about what should i do

Reactions: Panka79

ramgarhia

May 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2014
Nomination.....
11-04-2014
AOR Received.
22-04-2014
Med's Request
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-04-2015 (3rd line 12-05-2015) (DM 26-05-2015)
Passport Req..
Soon 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Soon 2015
LANDED..........
Definitely 2015

Tropikal1979

Nov 3, 2018
Ottawa
Here is a small update from me. I requested for my GCMS note on Apr 9'19 and received it today. As per note, I pass criminality test, Prohibition not started, and they have not started assessments like knowledge, language and residence (I guess this is what they do during the interview/test). They have transferred my file to IRCC Ottawa.
I was expecting they will put application status about my wife (as we applied as a family member), but the note has only my status.
Prohibition is what exactly?

maverick85

Star Member
Sep 21, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
22-07-2015
We got oath invitation today for July 1. Request you to update the sheet please. Thank you.

Reactions: PHCA