+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nova Scotia Health card

Kate CP

Dec 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

my husband, who has been sponsored by me, will be doing his 'soft landing' in NS on 16th Nov, all being well.

he is going to give a cousin's address and hope that his PR card will be sent there no questions asked, otherwise he will have to apply for a 'replacement' card when we return for our proper move next summer.

He is going to apply for his SIN number in Nov, regardless of the PR card situation, and will only be in Halifax for a few days during this trip.

My question is about the NS health card. Since husband will definitely not be moving to NS permanently until next summer, can he apply in Nov for his health card, or is it better to wait until we all move? Do you even have to apply in person?

I, as a returning citizen, and our children (returning citizens) will also need to apply for new health cards - can we do this in advance of our arrival?

From looking at the Nova Scotia MSI website, it looks like we all will be eligible for health care from the day we move...

'If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning "Permanent Resident" moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage.'

Any thoughts/experiences? We just want to take care of as much of the admin stuff as we can whilst he's over for a few days in Nov, and if getting a health card for him in Nov is possible I guess it's probably worth sorting out.

Thanks!

Kate

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As he is not moving in Nov. applying for a health card and then leaving again for several months could be seen as health care fraud. Of course he wouldn't be using it but why take any chances when you don't have to? Just apply as a family when you return in the summer.