File Transfer...
27-08-2017
Med's Request
12-09-2017
Med's Done....
19-09-2017
Passport Req..
09-12-2017
Could anyone share their experience in exchanging a foreign driver's license for a NS license? I know the basics, that I can drive freely on my foreign license for 90 days, and that I'll have to retake the knowledge and then the road test to obtain a NS license. But is it true that once I write the NS knowledge test, they'll give me a regular learner's permit to use until I pass the road test? If so, this means I won't be able to drive without a supervisor until completing the road test. That seems crazy to me since it takes up to 6 weeks to schedule a road test, and most people with a job and kids can't really go so long without driving...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's why people suggest to get the DL within the first 90 days, while you have your foreign license and NS Learner's.

excitedme

Apr 15, 2015
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
Could anyone share their experience in exchanging a foreign driver's license for a NS license? I know the basics, that I can drive freely on my foreign license for 90 days, and that I'll have to retake the knowledge and then the road test to obtain a NS license. But is it true that once I write the NS knowledge test, they'll give me a regular learner's permit to use until I pass the road test? If so, this means I won't be able to drive without a supervisor until completing the road test. That seems crazy to me since it takes up to 6 weeks to schedule a road test, and most people with a job and kids can't really go so long without driving...
you wont be given a learners license if you tell them you are exchanging it. you will be given a class 5(R) license with a restriction. this means having someone sit by you while you drive.
the wait time for a road test is not six weeks in some cases its just a couple of days as people cancel. whiles in the 90 days period of using your foreign license i suggest you take the written test and pay for the road test when you pass.
then call to figure out which month they are booking for.

elliejay

Nov 12, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
28-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
27-08-2017
Med's Request
12-09-2017
Med's Done....
19-09-2017
Passport Req..
09-12-2017
you wont be given a learners license if you tell them you are exchanging it. you will be given a class 5(R) license with a restriction. this means having someone sit by you while you drive.
the wait time for a road test is not six weeks in some cases its just a couple of days as people cancel. whiles in the 90 days period of using your foreign license i suggest you take the written test and pay for the road test when you pass.
then call to figure out which month they are booking for.
Thanks for your reply. It's really the "having someone sit by you while you drive" part that's crazy to me. I guess rules are rules, but I wonder how people deal with it if they have to drive to work and have nobody to take them. We're lucky since we'll be in part of the province with shorter wait times (2-3 weeks, they said), but I called Access NS today and they said that in HRM the wait times are indeed 6 weeks.

Jun 3, 2019
hey group!

I want to ask what are the prerequisite of attaining a driver's licence. Do you need a back dated licence of atleast 12 months in order to get the learner's licence? and what about the international licence?

kindly help me out.

Thanks in anticipation.