+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notifying IRCC about divorce - after receiving PR - how ?

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

I became a PR in Oct. 2018 as a married man, however my wife and I divorced in the spring of 2019. She never expressed any interest in immigrating to Canada with me, however was supportive of my decision at the time, and as was required she went through with the education assessments, medical checks etc.

As I'm getting ready to apply for citizenship, at which point I will state that I am now divorced - I'm wondering if I was supposed to report my changed status to CIC/IRCC (even though it all happened after the PR application was completed), and how can I do that now? I had a representative managing my PR process and don't have the login credentials to manage the (now completed) application. Do I need to do anything - given that I will be starting a new process soon using the same UCI? I'd like to proactively report the changed circumstances and avoid any RQs etc.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I became a PR in Oct. 2018 as a married man, however my wife and I divorced in the spring of 2019. She never expressed any interest in immigrating to Canada with me, however was supportive of my decision at the time, and as was required she went through with the education assessments, medical checks etc.

As I'm getting ready to apply for citizenship, at which point I will state that I am now divorced - I'm wondering if I was supposed to report my changed status to CIC/IRCC (even though it all happened after the PR application was completed), and how can I do that now? I had a representative managing my PR process and don't have the login credentials to manage the (now completed) application. Do I need to do anything - given that I will be starting a new process soon using the same UCI? I'd like to proactively report the changed circumstances and avoid any RQs etc.

Thanks!
No - you were not supposed to report this.

Simply file your citizenship application as divorced. There's nothing more you need to do other than that.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my stamped visa and COPR. I applied together with my common law partner and children,both of them received there visas and COPR as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility of many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

thank you in advance for your help

tecktadka

Jan 20, 2018
Its my 1st time to send a query, hopefully someone can give me advise on how to proceed.

I already received my stamped visa and COPR. I applied together with my common law partner and children,both of them received there visas and COPR as well, my concern is my partner and i started to be cold to each other due to incompatibility of many things.

my question is do i have to report that he will not join me in canada? or is it ok not to report it po?

thank you in advance for your help
Not an expert on these matters but still my 2 cents

If you are not the primary applicant, you can only complete landing formalities after the Primary Applicant. Hence Primary applicant would be required to go to Canada first (convince them)

If you are the primary applicant, consider completing your formalities alone first. Thereafter, you can either inform IRCC or allow your relationship some time to heal. If you are living separately, it might constitute as misrepresentation later (citizenship stage)