+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notice of Assessment

Jun 12, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am a canadian citzen living outside canada for the past 12 years with my Dutch husband and child (my child is Canadian also)

Anyway, I want to sponsor him and would be applying from outside Canada and we would wait until he is approved before moving back

My question is: I can't provide a notice of assessment bc I've not been working in Canada for 12 years.

Any ideas of what I can do?

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Hello everyone,

I am a canadian citzen living outside canada for the past 12 years with my Dutch husband and child (my child is Canadian also)

Anyway, I want to sponsor him and would be applying from outside Canada and we would wait until he is approved before moving back

My question is: I can't provide a notice of assessment bc I've not been working in Canada for 12 years.

Any ideas of what I can do?
Even if you are not working in Canada, you are required to file an income tax return each year unless you have submitted the form indicating that you are not a resident for tax purposes. If you have done that, then I assume you can simply write a letter stating such and provide other proof of means to be able to support your spouse.

C.

Jun 12, 2017
Oh my goodness!!!

When I left Canada in 2005 I never filed a tax return for that year or since or told them I was leaving!!!! I did cancel my health card though and filled at a firm st the ministry of health saying I was leaving I think . I maintained my bank account and drivers license though.

I'm so worried,I honestly had no idea.oh dear, what should I do now. I going to be going back to canada in a couple weeks, do u think this will affect my spousal sponsorship application? If there is something I can do to fix this please let me know.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Jun 12, 2017
I just spoke with revenue Canada and what should have done is filed my 2005 taxes and indicted that I would become a non resident. It's too late to do that now though so I'm not sure what I can do about the notice of assessment.

Has anyone been in this situation? Can I apply without it?

NBbound

Apr 6, 2017
I just spoke with revenue Canada and what should have done is filed my 2005 taxes and indicted that I would become a non resident. It's too late to do that now though so I'm not sure what I can do about the notice of assessment.

Yes you can apply without it,
just explain that you have not lived and worked in Canada since 2005. You could include proof of income whilst living abroad and It would be helpfull to include a plan and some kind of proof on how you intend to move back to Canada and provide for your husband. For example any savings, or letters from family who may be willing to let you all live with them when first coming to Canada, plans for employment in Canada etc.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016

I'm curious to know what they suggested that you do? It sounds like they accepted the fact that you became a non-resident for tax purposes...for the purposes of the immigration application it is as others have said...you have to provide a letter explaining why you do not have an option C printout and proof of income or means to support.

C.

Jun 12, 2017
I phoned cic yesterday and they said to provide a letter explaining why I cannot provide the noa

I think I will send a copy plus translation of my Dutch noa and explain that I haven't resided in Canada since 2005.

Hope that will be ok
Thanks for all your advice

cccolin

Jun 4, 2017
San Diego
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
28-07-2017
I phoned cic yesterday and they said to provide a letter explaining why I cannot provide the noa

I think I will send a copy plus translation of my Dutch noa and explain that I haven't resided in Canada since 2005.

Hope that will be ok
Thanks for all your advice

Have you heard back or had any issues since this? I'm in the exact same situation but have only lived out of the country for about 5 years, want to make sure I don't have any issues

cheng9999

Dec 14, 2015
Have you heard back or had any issues since this? I'm in the exact same situation but have only lived out of the country for about 5 years, want to make sure I don't have any issues
I have heard of sponsors who reside outside of Canada, and they did not even provide equivalent documentation to the Notice of Assessment, and got approved. Perhaps it was specific to the country-specific requirements, and I did not check whether that was the case. In our case, we wrote on the checklist that we will provide alternative information as I being the sponsor have been non-resident and therefore do not have that particular document, and on the actual information, wrote "in lieu of".

The issues with CRA are entirely different. If you have been away for a while, you may need to go to Canada Services Center to "reactivate" your SIN number after you return. With no activity in your SIN for 5 years (basically no tax returns for 5 years), the account gets frozen. If you return to work and pay taxes, CRA will gladly take the deductions. But anything that pertain to benefits will hit a block. TFSA, RESP, RRSP contributions, those will require an active SIN. Also, if you need to get SIN for your children, you will need your SIN unfrozen. And you will want to get SIN for your children because you want to get RESP accounts for them, and start saving for their education...get the matching grants from the gov't as early as you can to take advantage of the power of compounding.