+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Notarial certification

Cordialglow

Nov 26, 2020
Hello everyone!
I would like to know if I need to make the notarial certification of my translation of local documents (birth certificate, local -ukrainian passport, marriage certificate, chatt correspondance and other) while making the spouse sponsorship?
I will be happy to listen to somebody's authorized opinion.
Many thanks in advance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone!
I would like to know if I need to make the notarial certification of my translation of local documents (birth certificate, local -ukrainian passport, marriage certificate, chatt correspondance and other) while making the spouse sponsorship?
I will be happy to listen to somebody's authorized opinion.
Many thanks in advance.
They will not accept your own translations. Go to a certified translator - in Ukraine the notaries/translators are often in a single company or office and work together, so they will know how to do (it will be certified translation with notarial stamp of the translator's certificate/attestation that it is a true translation, I believe). But basically all notaries will know how to do this with translations of official docs. (Key thing to note is you do not need - I think - legalisation or apostille. I say I think because unless Ukraine docs have different requirements than eg Russia)

Easier this way anyway as the notary will also note that the photocopy of the original is a true copy. It is possible you could get away without the notarial stamp for only non-official, e.g. chat correspondence, but I would not recommend it - for the modest additional expense of the notary for a single document, why risk IRCC not accepting it.

*Note: check country-specific requirements, IRCC may ask for slightly different details for certain documents, e.g. Russia they require original (or 'duplicate' i.e. official new copy by the civil registry, which is deemed to be the same as the original) only for divorce decrees.

Cordialglow

Nov 26, 2020
Thanks for answering to me.
Actually, I do not understand yet if I need to make the notarial certification of my documents because some translation authorized offices said yes, I should whereas other said no.
Who can help us with this essential issue

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for answering to me.
Actually, I do not understand yet if I need to make the notarial certification of my documents because some translation authorized offices said yes, I should whereas other said no.
Who can help us with this essential issue
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html#documents

The guide says for documents not in english or french, you need a certified copy, the translation, and affidavit from the translator.

This seems pretty clear. As far as I'm aware in most of the ex-soviet union, certifications of copies means notarisation (stamp and statement that this is a true copy). But I can't say for certain for Ukraine.

If you think the translators know better than this, i.e. that they are authorised to certify copies, go ahead.

But I think they're wrong.