+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not sure what to do

tlg2014

Jun 5, 2014
Hi,

I'm kinda in panic mode right now. I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian citizen and we both live in the US. My husband has permanent residency in the US. His mother who lives in Canada is very ill and battling cancer.

We may have to leave our jobs and go to Canada to care for her. I know he will be eligible for OHIP once he returns after three months. How would family sponsorship work if he is unemployed due to having to leave his job in the US. We don't want to separate and I stay in the US and he moves to Canada, but I have to have insurance. I can't afford the premiums for supplemental insurance if I can't work, so any suggestions? Would my mother in law be able to sponsor me?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
tlg2014 said:
Hi,

I'm kinda in panic mode right now. I'm a US citizen married to a Canadian citizen and we both live in the US. My husband has permanent residency in the US. His mother who lives in Canada is very ill and battling cancer.

We may have to leave our jobs and go to Canada to care for her. I know he will be eligible for OHIP once he returns after three months. How would family sponsorship work if he is unemployed due to having to leave his job in the US. We don't want to separate and I stay in the US and he moves to Canada, but I have to have insurance. I can't afford the premiums for supplemental insurance if I can't work, so any suggestions? Would my mother in law be able to sponsor me?
Your husband can sponsor your for PR to Canada even if he had to leave his job in the US. There are no income requirements, however you will need to outline a good solid plan for how you will support yourselves once you are given your PR to show them you won't go on welfare. Your mother in law can not sponsor you. You will not be eligible for OHIP until you either land (if you file outland application, highly recommended here) or get AIP (inland application, not a good choice for a US citizen). If you get your information together sooner than later your husband can apply early enough that you won't have to be separated for any time or a very short time as it is likely going to take about 8 months (give or take a small bit) for you to get full PR status. If you accompany him to Canada before your PR is finished, as a visitor, you are not eligible for OHIP so you would need a travelers insurance.

tlg2014

Jun 5, 2014
Thanks, I'm very scared in what to do. They may have to put her back into the hospital as we speak. I'm the only one that is in a position to go right now and take care of her. My husband on the other hand has a staff of 70 and his leaving his job is a huge process.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
your husband can apply for your PR while he is at the current job in the United States. he has to show intent of residing in canada on receiving PR, which can be taking of family and settling back in canada.

jay7777

Nov 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
File Transfer...
06-06-2014
Med's Done....
04-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 8/1/14
Here is a company I bought some supplemental health insurance from that I found worked good in my situation. You may find it suits your needs as well. Pricing is reasonable.
http://www.safevisit.ca/

tlg2014

Jun 5, 2014
I don't know the difference between inland and outland application. Seriously, this is new to me and totally unexpected. I'm on this forum because I don't know the drill. If this was not happening, I would not be asking these questions, because we would carry on as usual in the US.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.

Start by reading the very first thread in this forum, to get a basic idea of how the process (is supposed) to work.

Inland- Would require you to physically be in Canada (as a visitor, in your case) and then apply. You would need to remain in Canada for the duration of the process, which would likely be at least 12 months, but likely a bit longer

Outland- You can apply whether you are in the US, or if you are visiting Canada. You would not have the same travel restriction, but...there would be no guarantee how much time you would be granted if you return to Canada, since you would still be a visitor.

The Outland process is much quicker for an American.

The total cost would be $1040, and can paid up front, or $550 up front and the balance at a later date, but some have theorized that delaying the balance could add a slight delay to the process.

Best of luck with everything!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tlg2014 said:
I don't know the difference between inland and outland application. Seriously, this is new to me and totally unexpected. I'm on this forum because I don't know the drill. If this was not happening, I would not be asking these questions, because we would carry on as usual in the US.
I just want to clarify something and don't mean for it to sound at all insensitive to your mother-in-law's situation.

Do you and your husband actually intend to move permanently to Canada? To not return to the US, no matter the outcome of his mother's illness?

Or are you wanting a way to come to Canada temporarily to care for her but will then return permanently to the US afterwards?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good catch! After reading the original post I think you might be on to something.
Perhaps this really is a temporary need to come to Canada, which might make it simpler for them than a PR application.

You're good!

tlg2014

Jun 5, 2014
I have a comprehensive health through my husbands job, which he will be leaving to care for her. What are my options? Will I be eligible for OHIP if I go over. I'm not looking for a free ride, but if I am living there and married to a Canadian citizen and I am caring for my mother in law, what can I expect to be eligible for?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
tlg2014 said:
I have a comprehensive health through my husbands job, which he will be leaving to care for her. What are my options? Will I be eligible for OHIP if I go over. I'm not looking for a free ride, but if I am living there and married to a Canadian citizen and I am caring for my mother in law, what can I expect to be eligible for?
Absolutely nothing. That is what you will be eligible for. Being married to a Canadian garners no special treatment. If you want to be eligible for OHIP you would need to have valid residency in Ontario. The only way you will get that is either via Spousal sponsorship, or by gaining a LMO based work permit. I don't know if you would qualify for the NAFTA agreement with Canada or not, and maybe a valid study permit might also get you OHIP. I'm not 100% positive on the study permit part either. But even then, you would likely get off cheaper purchasing travel insurance for your medical needs than paying foreign student tuition rates.

tlg2014

Jun 5, 2014
or should I just let my husband go alone and tackle this on his own being a Canadian citizen who happens to be married to an American?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tlg2014 said:
I think that canuck_in_uk has asked a very important question.

Are you looking to make a permanent move with your husband to Canada?

If you are NOT, perhaps you can purchase travel insurance while you are in the US, or see if there's a way to get coverage through the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) that has a provision for travel out of the country.

Unfortunately, being a spouse of a Canadian citizen, in and of itself, does not qualify you for coverage.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tlg2014 said:
or should I just let my husband go alone and tackle this on his own being a Canadian citizen who happens to be married to an American?
Well, if he leaves his job and comes to Canada, you're still `suddenly' uninsured. Being uninsured could actually be problematic in entering Canada anyway. If the border officers finds out that you are visiting Canada without medical insurance, that could certainly be reason for denying entry, since if you needed treatment it would be at the expense of the people of Canada. I'm not judging, or trying to be negative...just alerting you to a real possibility.