+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not sure if I should apply twice for PGWP

engineer_to_be

Oct 11, 2019
Hi all, I have applied to extend my PGWP which expires on Feb 7th 2021. Initially I was eligible for a 3 year permit but due to my passport expiring sooner than that, I received a one year permit only. I obtained my new passport late December and applied for the remaining 2 years early January. Based on the guideines on IRCC website, the application cannot be online and I had to apply on paper. Anyhow, I just realized that government has announced this new type of PGWP extensions avaiable for up to 18 months. Click here to see IRCC website about it. These are the conditions of people who can apply:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. axpired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
I meet the consitions to apply for this one as well. My question is, should I apply for this PGWP? Number 3 part 2 on the list mentions that people who have already applied can apply again, but I don't know if it is a good idea to apply or not. Does anyone here knows what should be done in a situation like this?