+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not sure if I am eligible ? Help please :)

Feb 26, 2015
I would like to know how to tell if you are a Canadian Citizen or not, because all the laws and different acts changing really confuse me haha, I mainly want to know because if I am eligible or already have a Canadian Citizenship, then I am thinking of applying to university there. Thanks :) :)

So my Grandfather was born in 1935 in Canada and lived there for about 10 years, he has a Canadian passport, my Mother was born in Canada in 1971 however they weren't living there.
We live in the UK, my Grandmother is not Canadian and my Father is not either, however we do have a lot of family in Canada,
Does this make my mother a Canadian Citizen?
Does this make me eligible for a Canadian citizenship or am I one already?

Thank you, any help would be great guys :)

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
annienewton1234 said:
I would like to know how to tell if you are a Canadian Citizen or not, because all the laws and different acts changing really confuse me haha, I mainly want to know because if I am eligible or already have a Canadian Citizenship, then I am thinking of applying to university there. Thanks :) :)

So my Grandfather was born in 1935 in Canada and lived there for about 10 years, he has a Canadian passport, my Mother was born in Canada in 1971 however they weren't living there.
We live in the UK, my Grandmother is not Canadian and my Father is not either, however we do have a lot of family in Canada,

If your mother was born in Canada she is a Canadian citizen and as the child of a born Canadian, so are you.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Swede said:
If your mother was born in Canada she is a Canadian citizen and as the child of a born Canadian, so are you.
I agree. Just go here to apply for a certificate of Canadian citizenship, which you will need to get a Canadian passport: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
annienewton1234 said:

Here's a CIC link supporting Swede's comment:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=365&t=5