+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"not satisfied that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada"

Compton

May 9, 2015
For some background information: I'm a Canadian citizen that has been living abroad in South Korea since 2011. I met and married my Korean wife here. We submitted her family class immigration package in August. On September 22, 2015 I received an email stating that the application was received at CIC Mississauga on August 13, 2015. I have not yet received any indication that I have been approved as a sponsor from CIC Mississauga.

Today we received an email from the Manila embassy stating:

"Based on the documents you submitted, I am not satisfied that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada once you obtain your status as a permanent resident.

If your sponsor can demonstrate that he will reside in Canada before or when you become a permanent resident, it may be possible to proceed with your application.

Any evidence or submission which you or your sponsor may wish to provide must be received by this office within thirty (30) days from the date of this letter. If we have not received a response within that time, your application will be assessed based on the information available on file, which may result in a refusal."

I'm not sure what else I can do to prove that we will be living together in Canada. I also found it really strange that we received an email from the Manila office addressed to my wife (applicant) and not to me (sponsor) considering that I do not know if I have been approved as a sponsor. ???

I've already sent information that my current work contract in Korea expires soon, and that I have a job offer in Canada (from my father). Also, my father has stated that he will allow us to live at his home in Canada.

I'm trying to think of other useful documents to show that we will be living together in Canada but I'm having a difficult time.

Here are some ideas I had. Can anyone help me sort them out and see if any would be applicable?

- Would a bank statement help? I don't make a lot of money, but over the past year or so I've sent more than $23,000 to my Canadian savings account to help prepare for our move.

I've also been flirting with the idea of going to graduate school and have taken two admissions tests. Would sending those scores, along with the names of the Canadian universities, help?

My parents have planned a 'welcome home' party for us in August 2016. Would sending a copy of the hall rental agreement be helpful?

Could I send letters from family and friends stating that they know of our intention to return to Canada?

How about I send a letter from my current employer in Korea stating that they will not be renewing my work visa and that I will be returning to Canada in 2016?

My wife and I have already started packing our stuff for our move to Canada. I could send some of them in the mail this week and have receipts stating the contents (out of season clothes and whatnot) along with both my wife's and my name.

Do any of these documents need to be notarized?

I'm confident that I can get all of this done within the 30 day time-frame, but I need to act quickly. So does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Lalala90

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have a work visa? If so, does it expire soon? That could be a potential proof.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Have you contacted any rental/lease/realtors about finding a place to live once you've returned to Canada?

Have you contacted any shipping places to get quotes on how much it will cost to ship your belongings back to Canada?

Do you have any children, if yes, have you been in contact with local schools regarding what is needed to get them enrolled?

Do you have any emails/contacts/letters from friends/family that you discuss coming back to Canada with them?

Send anything and everything you have that fully state your intentions. If you have a working visa that is soon to expire and will not be renewed send a photocopy of that as well as the letter from your current employer stating when your contract/visa ends and whether they intend to renew it or not.

They sent the letter to your wife because her file is now in Manilla, which means that you have been approved as a sponsor. Somewhere you missed the letter/email stating such. Don't delay in getting as much information to the office as possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Compton said:
- Would a bank statement help? I don't make a lot of money, but over the past year or so I've sent more than $23,000 to my Canadian savings account to help prepare for our move.

I've also been flirting with the idea of going to graduate school and have taken two admissions tests. Would sending those scores, along with the names of the Canadian universities, help?

My parents have planned a 'welcome home' party for us in August 2016. Would sending a copy of the hall rental agreement be helpful?

Could I send letters from family and friends stating that they know of our intention to return to Canada?

How about I send a letter from my current employer in Korea stating that they will not be renewing my work visa and that I will be returning to Canada in 2016?

My wife and I have already started packing our stuff for our move to Canada. I could send some of them in the mail this week and have receipts stating the contents (out of season clothes and whatnot) along with both my wife's and my name.
All of that is good proof. Nothing needs to be notarized

daijoeboo

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul. 4, 2014
Doc's Request.
Jan. 14, 2015
Med's Done....
Apr. 14, 2014
Interview........
not req'd
Passport Req..
Oct. 09, 2015
LANDED..........
TBA
I would send all of this and clearly write out your intentions in the form of a short-term plan of sorts.
I can only speak from experience but I was in a similar situation as you with less resources and got approved.
My wife is from Japan and we applied last summer around the same time as you.

I did not have as much as you in the way of savings or a job offer(!)

But what I did was lay out precisely what I intended to do when I got back into Canada in the form of a 3 year plan. The industry I intended to work in, the qualifications required (which matches those that I had), a letter from my mother stating I could live with her worst case scenario, all the activities I planned to do (courses, training) to become more competitive, the relative cost and time these would take, etc.

I would send all the proof you mention here along with a very well-written document explaining how the pieces fit together. They aren't really concerned about whether you're actually coming back here, they know you want to, they are concerned about whether you'll be able to establish yourself here. So things like a welcome home party are less useful. The job offer described in more detail along with your qualifications, how long you plan to work there, etc., this would be more helpful.

Compton

May 9, 2015
This is all good information, and very reassuring! :) Thanks everyone! I'll post an update in about a month's time when I get more info!