+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not much financial relationship proof

Moving.montreal

Jan 7, 2018
Hi again!

My common-law partner (and father of our child) and I have been living together for 5 years BUT we don't have a lot of documents or bills to show.

He owns the place we live in so al utilities are under his name, we use pay-as-you-go cell phones and don't have a landline...he's been the family economic support since our baby was born, but I do not know how o show this. His salary goes directly to his bank account and then it's basically all cash transactions.

This is what we do have:
- A common-law official document
- Joint bank account
- National ID with the same address
- The same health insurance (I am "under" his from work)

- I could put some utility bill under my name but there isn't a lot more that comes to mind. We can't even put 2 different names under utilities; over here it has to be under 1 person's name.

Will these be enough? Should I attach a letter explaining?

Thanks a lot!

wagggal

Star Member
Dec 29, 2017
Hi again!

My common-law partner (and father of our child) and I have been living together for 5 years BUT we don't have a lot of documents or bills to show.

He owns the place we live in so al utilities are under his name, we use pay-as-you-go cell phones and don't have a landline...he's been the family economic support since our baby was born, but I do not know how o show this. His salary goes directly to his bank account and then it's basically all cash transactions.

This is what we do have:
- A common-law official document
- Joint bank account
- National ID with the same address
- The same health insurance (I am "under" his from work)

- I could put some utility bill under my name but there isn't a lot more that comes to mind. We can't even put 2 different names under utilities; over here it has to be under 1 person's name.

Will these be enough? Should I attach a letter explaining?

Thanks a lot!
You should be fine with what you have. But write a letter if you want, can not hurt.
I was in same position also, with utility bills in my husbands name only because they only put it in one name here also.
Basically I sent in the same amount as you listed and it was fine.

CanuckDuck

Feb 6, 2018
does anyone know if they do need a minimum income for spousal sponsorship?
No minimum income is required.

However, the sponsor can NOT be the recipient of social assistance (welfare) and can not have declared bankruptcy (that has not been discharged yet).