+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not mentioning EDUCATION in STUDENT VISA : Isn't it Misrepresentation/False Information?

aljotha

Mar 24, 2018
Toronto
LANDED..........
08-04-2015
Hello,

Recently, I had a conversation with a couple of friends whom I personally know. They are interested to come to Canada and they had already reached out to educational consultancies in India. They are in the process of applying for colleges. One of them got the admission in a college and the other one is about to appear for IELTS.

I noticed one common thing. Both my friends were suggested by the Educational consultancies not to mention their Master's degree (PG degree) in their student visa application to avoid rejection.As far as I know, if they mention it later on in their work permit application/PR application it could lead to complications.

I wanted to give them some sincere awareness that doing something like this could jeopardize their future applications once they are here. These business-minded consultants have brain-washed them and this is currently a common trend.

Looking forward to all your opinions on this. Isn't this leading to MISREPRESENTATION? Hoping if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks !

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello,

Recently, I had a conversation with a couple of friends whom I personally know. They are interested to come to Canada and they had already reached out to educational consultancies in India. They are in the process of applying for colleges. One of them got the admission in a college and the other one is about to appear for IELTS.

I noticed one common thing. Both my friends were suggested by the Educational consultancies not to mention their Master's degree (PG degree) in their student visa application to avoid rejection.As far as I know, if they mention it later on in their work permit application/PR application it could lead to complications.

I wanted to give them some sincere awareness that doing something like this could jeopardize their future applications once they are here. These business-minded consultants have brain-washed them and this is currently a common trend.

Looking forward to all your opinions on this. Isn't this leading to MISREPRESENTATION? Hoping if someone could shed some light on this.

Thanks !
Yes it would be considered as misrepresentation. If they are going for a lower education degree while in fact they have masters degree, then yes their study visa application could be refused. But hiding the fact that they have masters degree is misrepresentation because not declaring will affect the result of the application.

If they do somehow get a study permit while not declaring, any future PR and citizenship status can be revoked if CIC finds out. This results in a 5 year ban from entering Canada.

Rockyrock

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Yes it would be considered as misrepresentation. If they are going for a lower education degree while in fact they have masters degree, then yes their study visa application could be refused. But hiding the fact that they have masters degree is misrepresentation because not declaring will affect the result of the application.

If they do somehow get a study permit while not declaring, any future PR and citizenship status can be revoked if CIC finds out. This results in a 5 year ban from entering Canada.
What is your opinion on going for the second master's in Canada in a related field ( not the same master's)?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
What is your opinion on going for the second master's in Canada in a related field ( not the same master's)?
If your friends can write a strong statement of purpose of why studying this particular masters program in Canada will help in their future or why choosing to come to Canada for school then I don't see why they should be refused.

Also they should prove that they will not overstay once their study permit expires so show alot of home ties and family ties.

Rockyrock

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
If your friends can write a strong statement of purpose of why studying this particular masters program in Canada will help in their future or why choosing to come to Canada for school then I don't see why they should be refused.

Also they should prove that they will not overstay once their study permit expires so show alot of home ties and family ties.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I would need your assistance regarding reviewing my SOP once I receive admission . Thank you :)

nb009

Feb 6, 2022
What is your suggestion if someone is currently doing MBA while his study permit application is under process? He got the results of last semester after his refusal. He reapplied for the same program but didn't mention the MBA yet

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I'm in a similar boat.

When I applied for a study permit, I didn't mention that I had a master's degree because the one I took had nothing to do with the career path I was looking for in Canada. Now I'm on a PGWP, I already submitted my express entry profile hoping I can get an ITA before completing the 1-year experience in Canada. I did ECA for my master's, not my bachelor's.

Some months ago I paid an immigration lawyer to help me create a clear path for my PR. I mentioned this case and asked if I was going to get in trouble for not mentioning the master's during my study permit process but using it for my express entry profile. The lawyer said it shouldn't be a problem and advised to get the ECA for the master. But now I get to this thread and generates some concern in me.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I'm in a similar boat.

When I applied for a study permit, I didn't mention that I had a master's degree because the one I took had nothing to do with the career path I was looking for in Canada. Now I'm on a PGWP, I already submitted my express entry profile hoping I can get an ITA before completing the 1-year experience in Canada. I did ECA for my master's, not my bachelor's.

Some months ago I paid an immigration lawyer to help me create a clear path for my PR. I mentioned this case and asked if I was going to get in trouble for not mentioning the master's during my study permit process but using it for my express entry profile. The lawyer said it should be a problem and advised to get the ECA for the master. But now I get to this thread and generates some concern in me.

Any suggestions?
Yes the lawyer is right it would be a problem not mentioning about your education. Even though it is not related you can't just delete it from your life history after all it took a valuable time of your life to achieve it. Moreover the forms in the PR application needs to have your full education details irrespective of any factor.
ECA is usually for the highest degree achieved so if you had done it for Masters it fine otherwise get it done in case you are aiming to get points for it.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Yes the lawyer is right it would be a problem not mentioning about your education. Even though it is not related you can't just delete it from your life history after all it took a valuable time of your life to achieve it. Moreover the forms in the PR application needs to have your full education details irrespective of any factor.
ECA is usually for the highest degree achieved so if you had done it for Masters it fine otherwise get it done in case you are aiming to get points for it.
Sorry, the lawyer said it SHOULDN'T be a problem. Mistyped there. That's why I decided to get the ECA for the master's and apply to express entry FSW.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Sorry, the lawyer said it SHOULDN'T be a problem. Mistyped there. That's why I decided to get the ECA for the master's and apply to express entry FSW.
But you are saying that Masters you didn't mention, still got ECA for Masters, did you studied 2 Masters?
Sorry in that case I don't agree with your lawyer and won't recommend him for further continuing with your application. See the main motive for them is money, in the end they will escape saying I mentioned as you had told me and you had consented for. And then will take up next case and you will be left to deal with the consequences. That my point of view rest depends upon you.

Reactions: andrews17

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
But you are saying that Masters you didn't mention, still got ECA for Masters, did you studied 2 Masters?
Sorry in that case I don't agree with your lawyer and won't recommend him for further continuing with your application. See the main motive for them is money, in the end they will escape saying I mentioned as you had told me and you had consented for. And then will take up next case and you will be left to deal with the consequences. That my point of view rest depends upon you.
I have one master's in project management from my home country. I got ECA for that master's and submitted that for the FSW application. I took a graduate certificate in Canada.

I get your point about the lawyer. I've been thinking about just getting ECA for my bachelor's and using that in my FSW. I'll take some points down, but I think it'll be safer.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I have one master's in project management from my home country. I got ECA for that master's and submitted that for the FSW application. I took a graduate certificate in Canada.

I get your point about the lawyer. I've been thinking about just getting ECA for my bachelor's and using that in my FSW. I'll take some points down, but I think it'll be safer.
On background form/Schedule A, did you also exclude period you were doing Masters degree provided it is within 10yrs?

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020

All the best.

Reactions: andrews17

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
On background form/Schedule A, did you also exclude period you were doing Masters degree provided it is within 10yrs?
That's a good question, I applied for my study permit through an agency. They managed all the application process. I do have access to my IRCC account but I can't download the files they uploaded, I can just see the list of documents.

Kinzul

Jul 10, 2020
I'm in a similar boat.

Some months ago I paid an immigration lawyer to help me create a clear path for my PR. I mentioned this case and asked if I was going to get in trouble for not mentioning the master's during my study permit process but using it for my express entry profile. The lawyer said it shouldn't be a problem and advised to get the ECA for the master. But now I get to this thread and generates some concern in me.

Any suggestions?
Did you get your PR then?