+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting the residency requirement in the first 5 years after landing but I do in the last 5 years

gsmo12

Sep 24, 2011
I will apply for Citizenship this month but I have something to worry. I didn’t meet the residency requirement in the first 5 years after landing but I do in the last 5 years. Actually I landed in 22/09/2012 for one week then I returned to my country for 4 years. It is just 9 months before PR card expiry I returned to Canada on 22/12/2016 and until now I am continuously present in Canada for more that 3 years. On my application For Citizenship I have to mention when I left Canada, which one week after landing !!! . This will make it obvious for the CIC officer that I didn’t meet the residency requirement in the first 5 years although I meet it in the last 5 years. Do you think can CIC make it an issue because my absence in first 5 years after landing? Can they revoke my PR status because of that ?

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Nope; your residency calculation will be based on the last 5 years. The absence in the first 5 years will fall outside your eligibility period so will not matter.