+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting RO and sponsoring spouse

sg1234

Star Member
May 14, 2020
I read on this forum that if you are in breach of RO, you cannot submit a spousal sponsorship application until you meet RO, otherwise, it will be refused and you can even lose your own PR status. Just need clarification regarding this based on below scenarios:

Person A lands in Canada, becomes a PR, stays for 2 months, goes back to their home country, gets married, comes back in 3 months and submits outland spousal sponsorship application. This scenario is common and IRCC will not refuse the application because the sponsor did not meet RO yet.

Person B lands in Canada, becomes a PR, leaves Canada within a month after receiving their PR card, gets married back home, decides to come back after 3.5 years and is let into the country as their PR card is still valid. This person needs to stay in Canada for 2 years to meet RO and according to older posts on this forum, they cannnot submit a spousal sponsorship application as they are in breach of RO and need to wait till they are RO compliant, so they can submit the spousal sponsorship application after 2 years only.

I want to understand why IRCC will not refuse the spousal sponsorship application for Person A but refuse for Person B? The only logical reason that I can think of is that you should submit the spousal sponsorship application before your 5 years anniversary from the date you landed and became a PR, is this the case?