+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Not meeting residency obligation.. Travelling to Canada

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Hi...

I got my PR (first entry done) in April 2014 , my current PR card expires on April 2019.... I have lived there for around 2 months. I am short of meeting 730 days residency obligation... But we want to move for good to Canada now and have even sold our house and everything here, resigned from jobs, selling business... Our plan is to travel in Feb 2018 when this entire wrapping up completes....

Option 1- Travel to Toronto airport with a valid PR card but short of residency obligation. In this forum read about earlier cases where IOs at POE were lenient in reporting but all those cases I read were usually of pre-2015.
Q 1A) Any insight if situation is similar (wrt leniency at POE) now or not
Q 1B) If they send me for secondary review and I do get reported, what are the chances of succeeding in appeal. My reason has HnC element as my real sister had medical issues (serious ones) and my parents being old now- I was responsible for the treatment.
Q 1C) If appeal is filed within 30 days of being reported; how long does it take for the appeal to decide. During this period will they allow me to stay in Canada?
Q 1D) As I have wrapped up my business here, so will be bringing in a good decent investment in Canada when I am coming to settle. Will be paying a lot of taxes (on capital gains) in the year I travel itself. Will this give some advantage?
Q 1E) Our daughter is a Canadian citizen (born in Canada) during our earlier visit,, does it help?

Option 2- Travel via US land border to Canada in a private car. Some forum members have expressed that land border agents are more lenient and relaxed. But again all those responses were largely pre-2015. I am from a visa non-exempt country. Have a US B2

Q 2A) Is travelling through US land border really adds some value or going through automated gates at Toronto airport is better?

Option 3- Should not travel on this PR card but apply for a Canadian Travel Document at Canadian consulate in my current country (PS- Residency obligation is not being met but have HnC reasons). This will eliminate all uncertainties wrt entry at Canadian POE

Q 3A) What are the realistic chances of getting travel document in my situation. Will be applying at Canadian consulate at New Delhi- India or Chandigarh- India

Option 4- Renounce my PR from home country and apply for fresh PR. Will have to check yet if still qualify for that and the entire process usually takes 1 year further delaying things.

Q 4A) What is the process of renouncing PR from your home country. Is there any form for renouncing PR
Q 4B) Can I immediately apply for fresh PR (if I qualify as per criteria) after renouncing or have to wait for some period?

Last Question- Which option should I adopt first as per your opinion, I know there is no absolute right or wrong but weighing everything- what in your particular opinion, how I should go about.
Hello did u enter canada, what happened at border, did they report u or deport.plz let me know, sane situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello did u enter canada, what happened at border, did they report u or deport.plz let me know, sane situation.
What happened to your PR card that you were supposed to pick up in 2018? That could have lead to a residency review if you didn’t pick it up.

Bilkish

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
What happened to your PR card that you were supposed to pick up in 2018? That could have lead to a residency review if you didn’t pick it up.
I had come to Canada via usa, I was questioned by officers, finally they allowed me to enter and I got my Pr card. I had a letter from cic to pick up my PR card...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had come to Canada via usa, I was questioned by officers, finally they allowed me to enter and I got my Pr card. I had a letter from cic to pick up my PR card...
If you already were warned once you may have a flag on your file but at least you did get your new card. How long did you spend in Canada?