+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

not headed for a PR.. want an education!!

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
Hi I'm sumera and I belong to new Delhi. Iv done bbs.llb ( law) from a private uni in india and have 2 years work ex working for contracts and transaction advisory in a reputed EPC mnc. I'm now applying to humber and Seneca for international / global business management and to Centennial for their strategic management pg diploma. I have an ielts band of 7.5 and belong to one of the best icse schools in Delhi. Keeping in mind that I belong to a well established setup in India and wish to study in Canada strictly for educational purposes and to gain international exposure..I'm not keen on getting stuck with the villagers lot and am not one of the crowd looking for a pr or settlement scope there..so which of the colleges is better than the others and why? PS: I'm side by side applying for Masters but may not make it as my grades were 60.8% at undergrad level. Thank u for all ur help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Post your question to the International Students section of this forum. You'll get more answers there.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'll be refused due to study mismatch. Since you did law try something associated with law maybe MA LLB. You've got a better chance this way

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
Can I apply for a normal (non pg ) diploma in something lIke energy asset management or will my visa be rejected due to academic regression?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sumera.k said:
Can I apply for a normal (non pg ) diploma in something lIke energy asset management or will my visa be rejected due to academic regression?
I think you'll have problems being approved due to academic regression and the fact that the academic path you are selecting in Canada has nothing to do with your past education. It doesn't make sense why you would do this.

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
It does have slot to do with the work experience iv gained and my current skill sets in contract law...that's why i want to do this particular course

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
sumera.k said:
I'm not keen on getting stuck with the villagers lot and am not one of the crowd looking for a pr or settlement scope there..
If I am not misunderstanding you...very extreme view you have...

As others have pointed out there is mismatch in education you want to take. My personal view is that both the courses will add little value to you. Look at courses in the line of international law, international employment and contracts, intellectual property laws etc, that may be helpful when you return to India, if you do return ;).

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
Just to clarify.. I realise my initial post comes across as haughty however it wasn't intended to be so.... but the deal is that I wasted a good amount of time studying in a v small community kinda college in my home country and had a terrible lot of people there which is why I'm super weary now! Once bitten twice shy it is. I also do see a lot of people here looking for PR which is all well but My query pertained to the credibility of the education I seek in isolation from future residential prospects. Notwithstanding, thank u all for your responses.

neoseal

Star Member
Aug 20, 2013
If you are just looking to study, UK may be better option, more course choices, especially law and many similarities with India.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Sumera, what was your initial reason for choosing one of the three institutions you mentioned? Have you done searches for reviews on Canadian universities and colleges? I have no experience with study visas, but from what I have read here, being offered university placement increases the chance of being granted a visa compared to colleges.

sumera.k

Sep 29, 2013
Pippin said:
Sumera, what was your initial reason for choosing one of the three institutions you mentioned? Have you done searches for reviews on Canadian universities and colleges? I have no experience with study visas, but from what I have read here, being offered university placement increases the chance of being granted a visa compared to colleges.
Hi pippin.. Thank u for the objective response. My main reasons for choosing these 3 are that a. I'm not keen on pursuing legal field anymore n want to diversify to management related fields b. I don't have good enough grades for a Uni. Although I will give the GRE or gmat later next year and then maybe apply for a masters that isnt a sure shot cus of my past grades . C. There is a very personal sense of urgency....my sister Is already settled as a PR for past decade in BC but I don't seek to move there. I also thought of applying to SAIT in Alberta for their energy asset management course (as iv been working as a commercial/contracts associate in an oil gas & energy mnc in india) but that's an urdrgrad level diploma so visa be not get accepted cus of that.