+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

not filing Taxes

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
So, i've been in Canada for around 11 years. I filed taxes for the 2010 year as this was the first year that I held a full-time job. I got the Notice of Assessment, etc.
However, for the other years, I was a full-time student and rarely made any money. Even when i did, it wasn't enough for me to have owed the government. So, I never filed taxes, except for the very first year I was in Canada.

Will CIC penalize me any way???

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
commentbyiz said:
So, i've been in Canada for around 11 years. I filed taxes for the 2010 year as this was the first year that I held a full-time job. I got the Notice of Assessment, etc.
However, for the other years, I was a full-time student and rarely made any money. Even when i did, it wasn't enough for me to have owed the government. So, I never filed taxes, except for the very first year I was in Canada.

Will CIC penalize me any way???
There are a lot of reasons why you should file taxes even if you don't have income or do not have enough income to owe the government. You need to file a tax return in order for you to get GST credit, receive Child Tax Benefit (if you have kids), claim a refund, etc. You migh have missed some government assistance by not filing a return. CRA (not CIC) might penalize you if they find out that you did not report your income in previous years.

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
BZ Mom said:
There are a lot of reasons why you should file taxes even if you don't have income or do not have enough income to owe the government. You need to file a tax return in order for you to get GST credit, receive Child Tax Benefit (if you have kids), claim a refund, etc. You migh have missed some government assistance by not filing a return. CRA (not CIC) might penalize you if they find out that you did not report your income in previous years.
Will this impact my application under CEC though?? They only ask for you to send in your most recent T4 and notice of assessment, which i have.
And as far as CRA, what can they penalize me with if I didn't actually owe them any money?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
commentbyiz said:
Will this impact my application under CEC though?? They only ask for you to send in your most recent T4 and notice of assessment, which i have.
And as far as CRA, what can they penalize me with if I didn't actually owe them any money?
You would probably be OK with CIC with the most recent tax year. If they really wanted to investigate, tho, they would clearly know how long you've been in Canada and see that you did not file for those years.

And, are you REALLY sure you didn't owe? For example, you have to file if: "You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). This can apply if, for 2010, the total of your net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500." I realize students often do not make much, but most make more than that... Also, keep in mind that Canada taxes on GLOBAL income if you are residing in Canada. Still, as already noted, more likely you missed out on benefits.

In any case, you can file back taxes - if you didn't owe, there wouldn't be penalties.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/llyrs-eng.html

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
jes_ON said:
You would probably be OK with CIC with the most recent tax year. If they really wanted to investigate, tho, they would clearly know how long you've been in Canada and see that you did not file for those years.

And, are you REALLY sure you didn't owe? For example, you have to file if: "You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). This can apply if, for 2010, the total of your net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500." I realize students often do not make much, but most make more than that... Also, keep in mind that Canada taxes on GLOBAL income if you are residing in Canada. Still, as already noted, more likely you missed out on benefits.

In any case, you can file back taxes - if you didn't owe, there wouldn't be penalties.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/llyrs-eng.html
Well, when I was making money, it was through the university. So I did technically pay my taxes as they were deducted.
Why would me not filing taxes influence my PR application? Is there a legislation/requirement that I may be missing? Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ah, YES, it is the law - if you are required to pay taxes (and it sounds like you did, so this does apply to you), then you are required to file a tax return.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/flng-blgtns/menu-eng.html

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
jes_ON said:
ah, YES, it is the law - if you are required to pay taxes (and it sounds like you did, so this does apply to you), then you are required to file a tax return.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/flng-blgtns/menu-eng.html
I know it from the CRA angle. But strictly from the PR application perspective, can my application be denied based on my not filing taxes for previous years, given that I did file for 2010 which was my only year of full-time work (following graduation)?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
commentbyiz said:
I know it from the CRA angle. But strictly from the PR application perspective, can my application be denied based on my not filing taxes for previous years, given that I did file for 2010 which was my only year of full-time work (following graduation)?
LOL, that is not one of the CEC eligibility requirements on which you pass or fail. Still, you might want to tidy things up with the CRA.