+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

not clear on backround question "refused admission to Canada?"

vic.aj

Star Member
Sep 16, 2011
I can categorically confirm that 'refused entry' means occasions when you were refused entry at the border. It has nothing to do with refused visas.... There are other questions on the forms that deal with that...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vic.aj said:
I can categorically confirm that 'refused entry' means occasions when you were refused entry at the border. It has nothing to do with refused visas.... There are other questions on the forms that deal with that...
This thread started in 2010 using the old Schedule 1, not the current Schedule A.

ALM123

Nov 27, 2011
My parents were refused USA Visa and the officer said that you do not qualify for it because you might not come back,. Now they want to apply for the multiple visa for Canada. What should I write on the question
"Have you been refused any kind of visa, admission or been ordered to leave Canada or any other country."

They were just refused US Visa that is it. But what has it to do with Canada.
What do you guys think my parents should write on their application.
My mother, sister and brother applied last year for single entry they got the visa
Now my dad along with my mom and siblings are gonna apply together.
Please help me any one

darwinwap

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
15-11-2012, AIP - February 3, 2013
Med's Done....
May 2012
I would answer "No" unless you were refused entry at the border.

ldumitriu

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-02-2013
AOR Received.
5-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-02-2013
When my partner was in Canada with a work permit he had filled out an application to extend his stay.
Because he was doing this way too late he was sure he wouldn't get it in time before the work permit expired. So he left Canada just to be sure.
A month later I recieved his application saying that we had not paid the fee for processing (which we hadn't as we were immigration newbies and didn't know) and the whole thing was sent back.

Does this constitute visa refusal or they just didn't look at the file at all hence the lack of payment???

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
ALM123 said:
My parents were refused USA Visa and the officer said that you do not qualify for it because you might not come back,. Now they want to apply for the multiple visa for Canada. What should I write on the question
"Have you been refused any kind of visa, admission or been ordered to leave Canada or any other country."

They were just refused US Visa that is it. But what has it to do with Canada.
What do you guys think my parents should write on their application.
My mother, sister and brother applied last year for single entry they got the visa
They have to answer 'yes': they were refused a visa to the US. There is a space to write an explanation.
This is what it has to do with Canada: a person who has applied to many Western countries for a variety of visas, and has been refused all of them, is considered a risk. It looks like the person is just desperate to leave their own country and get into any richer country. One refused visa is not as bad as several, of course. In any case, don't lie about it, because if they lie about it they will be banned from Canada (if the visa officer finds out, which they usually do).

Pink123

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5,2015
AOR Received.
July 11,2015
File Transfer...
August 6,2015
Raniafekry said:
Can some one advice , how to answer this question in Schedule A ,Question 6,
I was denied a visitor visa to Canada on 2013 ,and now I am applying for permanent resident under PNP ,
d) been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

Should I answer yes or no , does answering yes , will deny my permanent resident application.

Thank you
Rania
Hi,

You should answer YES to that question, and it will not automatically deny your application. I have a friend that got a refusal for a visitor visa before and now he's currently a PR here in Canada. And my fiance (now my husband) tried to apply for a visitor visa last 2013 but he got also denied. I'm now sponsoring him, and we answered yes to that question. Just make sure to have a short explanation in the application.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Agree. Answer 'yes' and explain the circumstances. Trying to hide it will not work, and could lead to a charge of misrepresentation, a refusal, and being banned from Canada.

One refused visa will most likely not hurt your chances now.

ipoo

Jun 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London Visa Office (15-June-2015) File Received at CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015 & Decision Made on 09/02/2016
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2015
IELTS Request
None-Not Required
File Transfer...
24-08-2015
Med's Request
No-Remedical
Med's Done....
02-06-2015 Upfromt
Interview........
Waive
Passport Req..
16-Feb-2016 submitted 22-Feb-2016 PP received on 23-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
22-Mar-2016, PP dispatch 31 March, Call for Collection 01-Apr-2016
LANDED..........
Inn-Sha-Allah soon
Hi there,

Schedule A
Background / Declaration

IMM 5669 (12-2012) E

On question 6

section d ) been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificate de selection du Quebec(CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

- I have answered Yes, because my wife was denied TRV in 2014, wrote an explanation and attach the original letter of refusal by Canadian High Commission

but on section e) been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other Country

- I have answered No

my question is will this "No" to the e section will hurt my sponsorship application?

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
ipoo said:
Hi there,

Schedule A
Background / Declaration

IMM 5669 (12-2012) E

On question 6

section d ) been refused refugee status, an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificate de selection du Quebec(CSQ) or application to the Provincial Nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

- I have answered Yes, because my wife was denied TRV in 2014, wrote an explanation and attach the original letter of refusal by Canadian High Commission

but on section e) been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other Country

- I have answered No

my question is will this "No" to the e section will hurt my sponsorship application?
No as you answered yes on the other question. They way I understand this question is a refusal at the border rather than applying and being refused a TRV.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It shouldn't hurt. Since you answered 'yes' to 6d and attached an explanation, the visa officer will not think you are trying to hide the rejected visa. In any case, I also think 'no' is the correct answer to 6e, since to me it also means 'refused entrance at the border'.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Hi all. While the immigrant instructor's technically are correct....but those who are applying are not immigration lawyers.....the intention of the forms is not to test your legal abilities but to obtain the correct information. There are likely various scenarios that encompass refusal of admission to Canada...including perhaps technically the visa refusal issue....but I sincerely doubt if you indicate that you had been refused a visa, and include the circumstances....that they would consider that misrepresentation on the other broader question and deny your application. You have not with-held any information in this case...

C.

eminem_n_rihannah99

Star Member
Dec 10, 2014
Mississauga, Ontario, canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2015
Nomination.....
SA 25-05-2015
AOR Received.
25-03-2015
File Transfer...
02-06-2015
Med's Done....
31-10-2014
Interview........
WAIVED!!!!!!!!!!!! YIPPII!!!!
Passport Req..
13-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
SOOOOONN!!!
LANDED..........
SOON!
rjessome said:
Ok, I am actually studying immigration law and asked my instructors this question during class today. My instructors are Immigration Lawyers and Certified Immigration Consultants, a few of whom are former Visa Officers.

Here is their answer:

A refusal of an application for any type of visa to Canada DOES constitute a denial of entry to Canada. A refusal of entry at a Port of Entry to Canada ALSO constitutes a denial of entry to Canada. So if you have been denied a visa application (any type) or been denied entry at the border, you answer YES to this question on the Background Declaration form.

WARNING: If you answer NO to this question because you have been denied a visa application but have never been denied at the Port of Entry (because you COULDN'T get there in the first place), the Visa Officer reviewing your new application for PR (or any type), will see through the CAIPS or FOSS notes that you had in fact applied before, been refused, gave a FALSE answer on the Background Declaration, and are therefore guilty of misrepresentation and you will be automatically barred from Canada for two years.
Well said RJ! :)

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Suin said:
so why they put three separate questions then? why not to mention everything in a one?

on the question 9 Schedule 1 Background Declaration they say:

Have you, or, if you are the principal applicant, any of your family members listed in your application for permanent residence in Canada, ever:

- previously sought refugee status in Canada or applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa?

- been refused refugee status in, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa or visitor or temporary resident visa to, Canada....?

- been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country?

how can your consultants explain that?
- previously sought refugee status in Canada or applied for a Canadian immigrant or permanent residence visa or visitor or temporary resident visa?

This basically means, have you ever applied for any type of immigrant visa.

- been refused refugee status in, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa or visitor or temporary resident visa to, Canada....?

This basically means, have you ever been denied for the visa you have applied for in question 1.

- been refused admission to, or ordered to leave, Canada or any other country?

The Canada part of the question basically means, you have ever been physically denied into Canada. The denial of Canadian visa is already covered in question 2. One can be visa exempt and does not have to apply for visitor visas and still be physically denied into Canada. The second part of the question, the "any other country" covers all other scenarios, including visa application denials and physical denials for any other countries. Take US for example. Non-visa exempted nationals still have to report being denied US visa, despite never being physically denied entry into US. Visa exempted nationals will have to report any physical denials into US.

This is how I have interpret the questions asked.

Gisam5

May 26, 2015
thedude said:
Hi. On the backround/delcaration form it asks have you 'been refused admission to, or ordered t leave Canada, or any country?' Is failing to get a tourist visa considered as being refused admission?
Thedude!!! The answer is yes to your question and dont make a mistake of stating NO!!!