+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Norwegian citizens-how to get permanent residence while in Canada

Deanlumavi

Dec 10, 2018
My brother-in law and his two boys, 9 and 10, are norwegian citizens. they wish to visit canada for the maximum duration on a visitor visa which is i believe 6 months. two questions:

1. while here, we would like for the boys to attend school. however, we learned that the ontario public school board require a fee of $1200 per child per month, which is insanely expensive. are there any other alternatives to study either for free or at a much cheaper fee?

2. their ultimate goal is to stay in canada and apply for permanent residence. What are the best options to do so: Can he apply for a job and convert his visitor visa to work permit? or is it applying directly for permanent residence easier and faster? if the latter, is it allowed to do so while in canada?

we are desperate to find ways, so any advise will be grateful.
thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My brother-in law and his two boys, 9 and 10, are norwegian citizens. they wish to visit canada for the maximum duration on a visitor visa which is i believe 6 months. two questions:

1. while here, we would like for the boys to attend school. however, we learned that the ontario public school board require a fee of $1200 per child per month, which is insanely expensive. are there any other alternatives to study either for free or at a much cheaper fee?

2. their ultimate goal is to stay in canada and apply for permanent residence. What are the best options to do so: Can he apply for a job and convert his visitor visa to work permit? or is it applying directly for permanent residence easier and faster? if the latter, is it allowed to do so while in canada?

we are desperate to find ways, so any advise will be grateful.
thanks
1. No - there are no cheaper alternatives. They are only here as visitors and must therefore pay international student fees to attend school.
2. His chances of security a job offer supported by an LMIA so that he can convert this to a work permit are extremely low. The vast majority of employers are not willing to go through the LMIA process which is required before you can apply for a work permit. Best option is to apply to immigrate if he qualifies. He will need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs to understand the requirements. I would recommend that he start by researching the Express Entry program which is a points-based program with those with the highest number of points being selected first. Right now you need 440+ points to be selected. More information is in the links below. You should note that being in Canada as a visitor gives him no advantages when it comes to applying for PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Deanlumavi

Dec 10, 2018
1. No - there are no cheaper alternatives. They are only here as visitors and must therefore pay international student fees to attend school.
2. His chances of security a job offer supported by an LMIA so that he can convert this to a work permit are extremely low. The vast majority of employers are not willing to go through the LMIA process which is required before you can apply for a work permit. Best option is to apply to immigrate if he qualifies. He will need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs to understand the requirements. I would recommend that he start by researching the Express Entry program which is a points-based program with those with the highest number of points being selected first. Right now you need 440+ points to be selected. More information is in the links below. You should note that being in Canada as a visitor gives him no advantages when it comes to applying for PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html
thanks Scylla. Is he ok to apply for permanent residence while he is in Canada though, despite the chances. From what i remember time ago, one is to leave Canada to be able to apply to immigrate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks Scylla. Is he ok to apply for permanent residence while he is in Canada though, despite the chances. From what i remember time ago, one is to leave Canada to be able to apply to immigrate.
Yes - he can apply from within Canada. He will need to make sure he keeps his status in Canada legal through applying to extend his visitor status. There are quite a few prep activities he needs to complete before he can even be considered including having his education assessed and completing an English language test and achieving high marks. Recommend he start the research asap.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to understand, he cannot apply for PR just because he wants to. he need to fall into at least one of possible streams.

For economic immigrants the most significant are Express entry - where he has to be invited to apply; and PNP (whatever is still paper based), where he has to obtain provincial nomination first (meaning he has to meet conditions to apply for one of those and then to be approved).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also there are no guarantees he will get a 6 month stay in Canada. He could be asked to prove how he will support his family while in Canada including the funds to support their schooling. He also will need permission from the mother to leave Norway unless he has custody documents that prove that he has primary custody. It could take 6 months to get an LMIA and wrk permit if he is able to find an employer and everything went perfectly. It would make much more sense to stay in Norway while they apply for PR if they qualify.

visatest

May 24, 2016
London Ontario Canada
Definitely, stay in Norway. Here is a question for you. When the CBSA officer asks why didn't you do this in Norway; what are you going to say? Also the CBSA will ask what do we have that is so special he must come here to take High School? I am afraid this is a dead end without an advanced diploma or degree (60% of our population has one). Immigration can also take up to five years and you need ALL the money up front.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/immigration-matters/system.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/immigration-matters/track-record.html

Last edited: