+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Northwest Territories-PNP

Rutheeford

Jan 28, 2024
Hello everyone. Badly need your help!
We submitted our Northwest Territories PNP application (Entry-Skilled level, Employer Stream) last Nov. 21, 2023 and our permits will expire this Feb. 10, 2024.
My partner who is the PGWP holder (I'm the OWP) only finished a 1-yr program so his PGWP is only for a year. He started working on March 2, 2023 and only requires 6 months experience to start applying for the PNP. However, it was unfortunate that we have to evacuate mid Aug. last year due to the wildfire so it greatly affect and delayed our submission, so his employer was only able to submit it on Nov. 21, 2023, instead of around the end of Sept. or 1st week of October. We emailed the immigration office here in NT and they said they have a 10-week processing time which is till Jan. 30, 2024. They said, after that, they'll give us a Work Support Letter so we can then apply for a closed-permit specific to our current employer then.
My main concerns are:
1. If we receive the approval on Jan. 30, do we need to apply first for a new Close-Work Permit by doing it from our GCKey account, before we can apply for our PR, or can we do it at the same time?
2. If so, once we submitted the application for a new Close-Work Permit, are we considered under implied status and still can continue to work until the decision is made?
3. Will they issue the AOR along with the Work Support Letter?
4. Can we apply for BOWP or not? If yes, how can we do that?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone. Badly need your help!
We submitted our Northwest Territories PNP application (Entry-Skilled level, Employer Stream) last Nov. 21, 2023 and our permits will expire this Feb. 10, 2024.
My partner who is the PGWP holder (I'm the OWP) only finished a 1-yr program so his PGWP is only for a year. He started working on March 2, 2023 and only requires 6 months experience to start applying for the PNP. However, it was unfortunate that we have to evacuate mid Aug. last year due to the wildfire so it greatly affect and delayed our submission, so his employer was only able to submit it on Nov. 21, 2023, instead of around the end of Sept. or 1st week of October. We emailed the immigration office here in NT and they said they have a 10-week processing time which is till Jan. 30, 2024. They said, after that, they'll give us a Work Support Letter so we can then apply for a closed-permit specific to our current employer then.
My main concern are:
1. If we receive the approval on Jan. 30, do we need to apply first for a new Closed-Work Permit by doing it from our GCKey account, before we can apply for our PR, or can we do it at the same time?
2. If so, once we submitted the application for a new Closed-Work Permit, are we considered under implied status and still can continue to work until the decision is made?
3. Will they issue the AOR along the with Work Support Letter?
4. Can we apply for BOWP or not? If yes, how can we do that?

Thank you in advance!
1. You can do both at the same time
2. Yes, you will be considered as under Implied Status
3. Not sure what you mean with this, but once you submit your PR application you will receive AOR
4. Yes, ensure to include AOR for PR Application and Certificate of Nomination

Reactions: Rutheeford

Rutheeford

Jan 28, 2024
1. You can do both at the same time
2. Yes, you will be considered as under Implied Status
3. Not sure what you mean with this, but once you submit your PR application you will receive AOR
4. Yes, ensure to include AOR for PR Application and Certificate of Nomination
Hello, I really appreciate your help! :)
1. For applying for permanent residency, if we can do it at the same time as our close work permit, do we need to make two separate applications in our GCKey (close work permit + PR application)? Not sure what's the next steps after the PNP app is approved.
2. When do we get the AOR? Is it once the PNP approved our application?
3. Do we really need to convert our open work permit to close work permit under our current employer, or can we do BOWP? When we emailed the Northwest Territories Immigration Office, they only advised about the close work permit, since they can issue us a Work Support Letter if we need to apply for the said permit; but they did not tell us about applying BOWP.
4. If we will apply for a close work permit, is it considered as LMIA Exemption? There's a question in imm5710e form, "What type of work permit are you applying for?"
Shall we choose (below are the most applicable to us):
a) Open work permit
b) Exemption from LMIA
c) Other (then specify we are applying for a close work permit)

Last edited: