+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Northern Ireland licence in Alberta

theirishhoser

Jan 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

My wife and I are considering moving from NI to Alberta and have noticed the reciprocal arrangement with UK driving licences doesn't extend to Northern Ireland. Anyone know why this is and how it could, um, be worked around?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I assume it is because N-Ireland has no agreement about drivers license exchange with Alberta. Actually I don't think they have one with any province. Same with Ireland and many other European countries. This is not a big deal. Just means you have to actually take the written exam and road test in order to get a license.

If you are really serious about the work-around, you could very temporarily move to the UK and exchange your NI license there and exchange again when you arrive in Canada.

theirishhoser

Jan 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If anyone is still interested, I got this reply today

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the exchange of Northern Ireland driving licences in Alberta, Canada.

On 12 October 2009, the Department introduced new legislation which allowed for the exchange of Canadian and other specified countries' driving licences in Northern Ireland. Accordingly, a driver who is resident in NI and who has an appropriate Canadian driver licence can now exchange that licence (subject to certain restrictions) for a NI licence. The new designation order also means that the countries designated for exchange purposes in Britain are also designated in NI.

However, each of the provinces and territories of Canada has its own separate driver licensing authority and each authority requires a signed agreement with NI before it will allow the holder of a NI licence living in Canada to exchange a NI licence for a Canadian licence. While these agreements are not a legal requirement in the United Kingdom, DVLA was obliged to implement separate agreements with those provinces which permit the exchange of British driving licences. As NI was not included in the DVLA agreements, DVA has been obliged to contact each of the Canadian authorities to request early action on setting up the required agreements.

Negotiations have resulted in separate agreements being established with British Columbia, Manitoba, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec and Saskatchewan. Agreements with the remaining two provinces of Alberta and New Brunswick are nearing completion.

The agreement with Alberta has been finalised and DVA is currently waiting for it to arrive for signing. Unfortunately, I am unable to give you any indication as to when the agreement with Alberta will come into force.

I hope this is helpful.

jokulhaup

Oct 22, 2012
Or you could do like the rest of us who don't have the privilege of being from countries/states with such reciprocal arrangements and just take the road test.

NicJohn

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
Vancouover
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2012
Doc's Request.
12-12-2012
AOR Received.
12-12-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
LANDED..........
05-11-2013
BC has reciprocal licences for UK including Northern Ireland.

Im not sure on how provinces change licnenses, but it may be easier to come to BC first, show ID and proof on a BC address and then when you have BC licence change it over in Alberta...