+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non SDS Study permit for Canada delayed without any response

Vishnu__05

Oct 16, 2023
Hi, I am a U.S citizen by birth but have lived in Bangalore, India for 16 years. I applied for my study permit on July 6th 2023 in India through the NON SDS way and expected results within 3 months as the processing times for U.S citizens under non SDS is 3 months. It is 17th October 2023 and I have not gotten any reply or update from IRCC. Even in the IRCC portal to check the status of my visa, it shows that I don't need to get my Biometrics or Medicals done and the only decision awaited is whether they say Yes/No to my study permit.
My start date was Oct 1st 2023 and my Letter of acceptance expires on Dec 31st 2023.

Please Help with this situation.
Thank you

mrtravelok

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021
I applied on 18th July and eligibility was completed only recently on 13th October. I think you should wait a bit.

mrtravelok

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021
They requested a medical exam and I haven't taken it yet. But I am reconsidering my decision to move to Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As a US citizen, why did you apply for a study permit online. You can apply at Port of Entry.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/making-application.html#s3

Who can apply at a POE
The foreign nationals who may apply for a study permit when entering Canada (section R214) are any

• national or permanent residents of the United States (US)
  • people who have lawfully been admitted to the US for permanent residence
  • residents of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon
https://www.sfu.ca/students/isap/explore/before/us-students.html

https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/immigration-documents/renewing-documents/study-permit-renewal-guide/us-citizens-and-permanent-residents

Vishnu__05

Oct 16, 2023
Oh, my DLI told me to apply for my visa and not book any flight tickets until my study permit has been approved.
Since its delayed this much, I might reapply again but from US this time

terki

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2012
FLORIDA - MIAMI
LANDED..........
DUAL-CITIZEN - USA/CANADA
Hi, I am a U.S citizen by birth but have lived in Bangalore, India for 16 years. I applied for my study permit on July 6th 2023 in India through the NON SDS way and expected results within 3 months as the processing times for U.S citizens under non SDS is 3 months. It is 17th October 2023 and I have not gotten any reply or update from IRCC. Even in the IRCC portal to check the status of my visa, it shows that I don't need to get my Biometrics or Medicals done and the only decision awaited is whether they say Yes/No to my study permit.
My start date was Oct 1st 2023 and my Letter of acceptance expires on Dec 31st 2023.

Please Help with this situation.
Thank you
[u.s. citizen?] - why would u apply for a visa ? u could have entered usa and flagpole to canada to get sp at POE

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
[u.s. citizen?] - why would u apply for a visa ? u could have entered usa and flagpole to canada to get sp at POE
I know. He is a US citizen and can just show up at a POE. Gave him the instructions in my links. Now going to the US to apply for a study permit.