+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

non-routine status after missing first test appointment

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
I missed my first test appointment (scheduled for Aug 5) because gmail put the email in spam. I wrote to local office (Montreal) as soon as I found out (mid of August) explaining the reason and I'm now waiting for the reschedule which hasn't happened after one month. I just called HOTLINE and the agent told me that my file status is now "non-routine" which means the processing time will be 36 months #$%^ and he told me to wait PATIENTLY.
I thought everyone at least have two chance for test appointment and if I have a good reason for missing first one I should still have another two chances. But what this "non-routine" really mean. Seriously I need to wait up to 36 months?
Very frustrated and what I should do now?

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
laomiao said:
I missed my first test appointment (scheduled for Aug 5) because gmail put the email in spam. I wrote to local office (Montreal) as soon as I found out (mid of August) explaining the reason and I'm now waiting for the reschedule which hasn't happened after one month. I just called HOTLINE and the agent told me that my file status is now "non-routine" which means the processing time will be 36 months #$%^ and he told me to wait PATIENTLY.
I thought everyone at least have two chance for test appointment and if I have a good reason for missing first one I should still have another two chances. But what this "non-routine" really mean. Seriously I need to wait up to 36 months?
"What is a non-routine application?
An application is considered non-routine, if any one of the following has occurred:
. . .
you fail or are unable to write the knowledge-of-Canada test (citizenship test)"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

laomiao said:
Wait patiently, as the CIC agent told you.

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
laomiao said:
Well first of all, I have never seen anyone receive a test letter or an OATH letter via email, they always send a letter by mail.

Anyway, you have contacted them, so you have done your part. All you can do now is wait for them to contact you. May be your reasoning for not showing up for the test was not accepted and therefore they threw your file in the non routine basket. Sorry to hear you are in this situation. GOOD LUCK!

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
wes786 said:
Well first of all, I have never seen anyone receive a test letter or an OATH letter via email, they always send a letter by mail.

Anyway, you have contacted them, so you have done your part. All you can do now is wait for them to contact you. May be your reasoning for not showing up for the test was not accepted and therefore they threw your file in the non routine basket. Sorry to hear you are in this situation. GOOD LUCK!
I think if you provided email address in your application and opted to receive further notice via email they will sent them in email. At least I have received everything (application-received acknowledgement and this test notification) via email.

Are you sure "non-routine" means they have rejected my explanation? or any application waiting for test reschedule is considered "non-routine"?

hgn

Feb 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laomiao said:
I think if you provided email address in your application and opted to receive further notice via email they will sent them in email. At least I have received everything (application-received acknowledgement and this test notification) via email.

Are you sure "non-routine" means they have rejected my explanation? or any application waiting for test reschedule is considered "non-routine"?
did you not even check you ecas regularly?

did you ecas say email as opposed to physical mail?

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
laomiao said:

AOR I know they send via email but test invitation letter I haven't heard of yet. May be its something they started recently.

"non routine" does not mean they have rejected the explanation. Again, check out the link above for reasons why your application could be a non routine. Yes you did not show up for the test, and that made your application non routine, but may be after reading your explanation (they may not have processed your explanation yet), the status of your application may change to routine and you are rescheduled for the test. So be patient and lets wait and see what they ask you to do next.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
laomiao said:
No cause for panic.

Not all "non-routine" cases are created equal.

A fingerprint request, for example, means the application is no longer routine, but is non-routine. But scores of applicants have seen only a minimal delay result from having to submit fingerprints.

Similarly, among reports from applicants who had to have the test rescheduled, the impact varies considerably, from minimal delay to long delays. The difference is most likely due to other factors; some cases simply take a lot longer than others.

In the meantime, CIC's reported timelines say little more than how long it might be. Even for an entirely routine application, the actual timeline varies considerably, ranging from just five or six months (mine was eight for app made in 2013, oath early 2014) to well over a year. For so-called non-routine applications, they too range from well less than a year to . . . well four or even five years.

How long depends on why it is non-routine far more than the fact it is non-routine.

Otherwise, from almost all accounts, missing the first scheduled test date is no big deal. While CIC's approach to missed test dates has changed, vacillating back and forth some over the last several years, my understanding is that currenly CIC will automatically re-schedule applicants for a second test. Missing a scheduled second test is a much bigger deal.

IllaBee

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
laomiao said:
Be patient and they will contact you once they have your test date rescheduled. Look at my signature and you'll have an idea of the rescheduling time. Yes indeed...I know they send AOR via email but NOT test invitation letter. Remember, you will have to take the physical (usually yellow) test/interview invitation letter with you to the test site. Yours is the first am hearing about. Fix your spam filter so this doesn't happen again.

But whatever the case is, you are now solely at the mercy of CIC with regards to rescheduling the test/interview. It can take a month or a year...no one knows but CIC. I can advise you to check ecas at least twice during the week and once on weekends - like most of us did/do. That way, if the update is on the website, you can surely bet the letter is coming to you soon after.

You asked...what should you do? Well, nothing but wait. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
wes786 said:
wes786 said:
AOR I know they send via email but test invitation letter I haven't heard of yet. May be its something they started recently.
They have been sending out test invitations by e-mail to many of those who have provided their e-mail address for a number of months now, and in some cases even oath. In my interview the officer told me to keep an eye on my physical mailbox as well as my e-mail inbox because they could send me an oath invitation in either one of those two ways, even if my AOR and test invitation have both been received by e-mail my oath invitation could come in the form of a physical letter. Or an e-mail. The Citizenship Officer making the decision in my case will decide; they're still trying things out.

I got my test invitation via e-mail.

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
hgn said:
did you not even check you ecas regularly?

did you ecas say email as opposed to physical mail?
I did check ecas almost everyday and i'm pretty sure this notice appeared in ecas even later than the scheduled test date.

the ecas says its "mail" but when I called CIC they told me it's email and that's how I found it in the spam folder.

---
We sent you a notice on July 17, 2015 to appear and write the citizenship test on August 5, 2015 at 9:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
MiriamT said:
They have been sending out test invitations by e-mail to many of those who have provided their e-mail address for a number of months now, and in some cases even oath. In my interview the officer told me to keep an eye on my physical mailbox as well as my e-mail inbox because they could send me an oath invitation in either one of those two ways, even if my AOR and test invitation have both been received by e-mail my oath invitation could come in the form of a physical letter. Or an e-mail. The Citizenship Officer making the decision in my case will decide; they're still trying things out.

I got my test invitation via e-mail.

That is new to me. Thanks for letting me know!

They do have my email but I only received my AOR via email. My test invitation was sent to me by mail. So I guess it just depends on the officer working on the file.

laomiao

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
thanks to all that commented. So I guess "no-routine" doesn't really mean I have to wait more than 1 year but a few months waiting is possible. I have ordered ATIP and hope I can get some useful info from there.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
laomiao said:
thanks to all that commented. So I guess "no-routine" doesn't really mean I have to wait more than 1 year but a few months waiting is possible. I have ordered ATIP and hope I can get some useful info from there.
unfortunately CIC is a black box in terms of visibility and predictability and no one knows what the heck they will do!

Good luck!