+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non-routine citizenship application

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
I've sent my citizenship application back in 2018 and passed my exam already, apparently the officer who i had the interview with decided that my application to be non-routine and requested more documented, which i sent in April 2019, but till today no news
I contacted the MP office in January, 2020, who informed me that my application is still under process and the IRCC don't have a time frame to when i will have my final decision

Could someone please either had the same experience or have some information tell me when should i expect to hear back, it is almost 2 years and half now since i applied and i'm really frustrated because i have no knowledge why my application was considered non-routine

I would really appreciate someone can shed some light, please

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I've sent my citizenship application back in 2018 and passed my exam already, apparently the officer who i had the interview with decided that my application to be non-routine and requested more documented, which i sent in April 2019, but till today no news
I contacted the MP office in January, 2020, who informed me that my application is still under process and the IRCC don't have a time frame to when i will have my final decision

Could someone please either had the same experience or have some information tell me when should i expect to hear back, it is almost 2 years and half now since i applied and i'm really frustrated because i have no knowledge why my application was considered non-routine

I would really appreciate someone can shed some light, please
Unfortunately, measures taken in response to Covid-19 have totally messed up timelines, and there is no historical data which will illuminate much if anything for current applicants. Even those with entirely routine applications. As IRCC begins to get back on track there is bound to be a very large backlog. Processing routine applications and new applications will likely have a significantly higher priority than non-routine applications. If the way CIC and IRCC have handled previous citizenship application backlogs is a clue. This means non-routinely processed applications are likely in for rather long waits . . . and non-routinely processed applications are often subject to long waits in the best of times, and right now is about as close to the worst of times things tend to go (with fingers-crossed and hopes this is about as bad as it can get, no worse please).

So there is not much anyone can offer right now about how much longer it will be.

You do not mention in what way your application is "non-routine." Interviewers do not decide an application is "non-routine," and that is not a status as such. "Non-routine" means that the application is subject to some additional procedure that the "routine" application is not. This ranges from a finger-print request, which ordinarily does not cause much of a delay, to the full-blown RQ with a referral to a Citizenship Judge, the latter adding a very long wait. There are numerous variations in-between with comparable variations in how they impact the timeline.

I'm guessing you got some version of a RQ-related processing. This is the most commonly reported non-routine processing that happens following the interview for which the application seems to go into limbo for a very long time (requests for finger-prints or translations are common but they do not ordinarily result in waiting another year for the next step).

If you got RQ-related requests (I do not know that is what you got, but IF you did) . . . the impact this has can also vary widely. CIT 0520 requests do not usually result in either a serious problem or especially lengthy processing time so long as the applicant's submission is responsive and resolves the concerns. In contrast, CIT 0171 is the full-blown RQ and can signal that IRCC has serious concerns about the presence requirement. But how this goes also depends a lot on how well the applicant responded and what the concerns are. There are other topics here which discuss the full blown RQ process for those who get the CIT 0171 version.

At this stage many applicants will make an ATIP request for a copy of their GCMS file. That typically does not illuminate much if anything but unless you are prepared to make a customized request (which requires doing some real homework and investing real time and effort) it is, so to say, doing-something. HOWEVER, this leads back to the observation about the status of processing under the shadow of Covid-19 . . . the latter alone is explanation enough for it going past a year. Probably not much point in doing the ATIP request or otherwise pushing IRCC until it appears that some semblance of normal processing has resumed, and even then waiting two to six months more before getting more proactive.

Sorry. Things are as they are. If you peruse other topics you will see no shortage of frustration being expressed.

In the meantime, though, if your "non-routine" procedure is a version of RQ, again there are other topics here in which that is discussed in some depth and you may be able to learn more, reading them, to help you put your situation into better context.