+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Non resident - opening a business in BC

lidia

Nov 24, 2013
Hello, I need help and simple answers as have been searching the web but got so confused after having been sent from one link to the other.

My boss would like to open a business in BC:
1. Being a non resident must she have apply for residency and then open the company?
2. If she comes as a visitor while there can she do the necessary steps to do this?
3. How much money should she have in the Canadian bank to open this company?
4. She must of course register the name and once approved she can register the company?
5. Being an offshore ship maintenance service providing welders, pipeline fitters, naval carpenters etc. for which I beleive no LMO is required can she bring over one of her actual workers?
4. I read that she must advertise the work before bringing over a foreign worker is that correct?
5. If none is found can she submit a written job employment letter?
6. I beleive salary must be equal to those of Canadian workers, where do I find these on the web?

Please give me just the answers if possible as for the past 3 days I have been going from one site to the other, from one link to the other and my head is like a baloon.

Thank you every so much.
Lidia

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
lidia said:
Hello, I need help and simple answers as have been searching the web but got so confused after having been sent from one link to the other.

My boss would like to open a business in BC:
1. Being a non resident must she have apply for residency and then open the company?
2. If she comes as a visitor while there can she do the necessary steps to do this?
4. She must of course register the name and once approved she can register the company?
5. Being an offshore ship maintenance service providing welders, pipeline fitters, naval carpenters etc. for which I beleive no LMO is required can she bring over one of her actual workers?
4. I read that she must advertise the work before bringing over a foreign worker is that correct?
6. I beleive salary must be equal to those of Canadian workers, where do I find these on the web?

Please give me just the answers if possible as for the past 3 days I have been going from one site to the other, from one link to the other and my head is like a baloon.

Thank you every so much.
Lidia

Hi Lidia

I have posted some answers for you to your queries. (see below) I hope they are helpful. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts for this type of operation...

She would not be permitted to register a company in Canada without having PR or citizenship status in Canada. She would have to invest in a Canadian business, (maximum percentage ownership permitted) or have a Canadian Partner.

See above. The only benefit of being here would be to set up partnerships as needed.

She would not need a Canadian Bank account or any amount of money in Canada.

Name registration takes place as part of the registration process of the company. Though see above for rules on registration.

5. Being an offshore ship maintenance service providing welders, pipeline fitters, naval carpenters etc. for which I believe no LMO is required can she bring over one of her actual workers?

No matter whether she has a share in a Canadian Company or not, hiring foreign workers in Canada would in fact require an LMO irrespective. If she is looking to offer staffing solutions for Canadian companies (with foreign workers) she would have to go through all the required processes for work permits & LMOs for those employees.

The local work advertisement is typically 6 weeks in approved advertising media, and is part of the LMO process.

Same as advertisement above. Part of the LMO process for work permit.

For information about jobs, rates NOC classifications, and even some job adds the Government site at workingincanada.gc.ca has proven most useful to me.

-----------------

Good luck with your ventures

Cheers!!

carpe7diem

Oct 5, 2014
Hi there Lidia,

I've stumbled upon your answer when searching for some info over the web.
I am interested in the same topics that you discussed.
I am a non-resident that interested in opening a online business in canada , from my understanding as a non resident i will have to either invest over 400K$ (not an option) or have a canadian partner.

(1. Being a non resident must she have apply for residency and then open the company?

She would not be permitted to register a company in Canada without having PR or citizenship status in Canada. She would have to invest in a Canadian business, (maximum percentage ownership permitted) or have a Canadian Partner.)
There are a few questions that I still have:

1)I what are the limitations of the non-canadian partner for residing in canada, i mean can i stay in canada as a partner (more then 6 month entry)?
2)Is there a minimum investment required?
3)Can i act as a general partner (as a non-canadian) or I can only be a limited partner?
4)Are there any income regulations or limitations?

Will truly appreciate your assistance on the matter.

Thanks a lot,
Pavel

Mayman

Oct 10, 2014
Hi

I have same confusion when I read online instructions. Also what is benefit of having a canadian partner? what is I put money in the partnership and later do not have sufficient visa to come back to Canada.

Thanks