+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Nomination received after ITA

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Hi all,

I extend my search to this section of the forum.

I received a nomination after receiving an ITA on my EE profile.

oinp is now telling me that I must decline the ITA if I wish to receive the nomination.

My question is: is there any benefit to accepting an invitation when I already have an ITA? Could it possibly make my application more successful? The OINP would like an answer before new years.

Thank you all for your help!

Blessing1

Star Member
Jul 26, 2015
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland.....CIO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2014
Doc's Request.
Upfront
Nomination.....
28-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-12-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
20-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
5 Jan, 2016
LANDED..........
15 Jan, 2016.
If you already have an ITA, I do not see how beneficial a nomination will be to you at this time. If I am you, I will go ahead and use my ITA to apply for PR without any hesitation. Nomination is good if you already don't have an ITA as it boosts your score and increases your chance of selection. In your case, you made it on your own. Good luck with the federal application process.

Pascal.H

May 26, 2015
Laval
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2016
Nomination.....
16-12-2016
AOR Received.
29-12-2016
Med's Request
19-01-2017
Passport Req..
05-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
29-06-2017
LANDED..........
21-08-2017
Blessing1 said:
If you already have an ITA, I do not see how beneficial a nomination will be to you at this time. If I am you, I will go ahead and use my ITA to apply for PR without any Jedi station. Nomination is good if you already don't have an ITA as it boosts your score and increases your chance of selection. In your case, you made it on your own. Good luck with the federal application process.
well said. decline the nomination and give a chance to those who need it.

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
This seems to be the consensus on this forum and it makes sense, though I would have liked a little more documentation on what advantages can be gained from an nomination even though you have an ITA.

However, Pasacal H, when you say "give a chance to those who need it", this is not an argument I think anyone who is applying for immigration should even consider. The immigration process is a massive monetary (especially through the PNP) and time investment and pretty much my entire future rests upon its success. I can only imagine that this is the case for the vast majority of applicants. Taking a gamble on my application based on "giving a chance to someone else" when I have absolutely no control over who gets selected, nor do I have any confirmation whatsoever that giving up on my nomination would actually benefit anyone else, would be ludicrous; really misguided I believe.

Thank you for the replies. I will have to make up my mind quick and I'm leaning toward rejecting the nomination. If anybody as any further valuable insight, I would be happy to hear it.

darkenny

Star Member
Apr 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2017
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
11-01-2017
AOR Received.
25-01-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
19-04-2017
Telitos said:
This seems to be the consensus on this forum and it makes sense, though I would have liked a little more documentation on what advantages can be gained from an nomination even though you have an ITA.

However, Pasacal H, when you say "give a chance to those who need it", this is not an argument I think anyone who is applying for immigration should even consider. The immigration process is a massive monetary (especially through the PNP) and time investment and pretty much my entire future rests upon its success. I can only imagine that this is the case for the vast majority of applicants. Taking a gamble on my application based on "giving a chance to someone else" when I have absolutely no control over who gets selected, nor do I have any confirmation whatsoever that giving up on my nomination would actually benefit anyone else, would be ludicrous; really misguided I believe.

Thank you for the replies. I will have to make up my mind quick and I'm leaning toward rejecting the nomination. If anybody as any further valuable insight, I would be happy to hear it.
I believe what Pasacal is just trying to say is you don't need the nomination since you have something better: ITA. Blessing pointed this out as well. I'm sure if your nomination was tied to a paper-based programme like SINP OID (which takes an avg of 16 months to process), it wouldn't be much of an argument

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Telitos said:
Hi all,

I extend my search to this section of the forum.

I received a nomination after receiving an ITA on my EE profile.

oinp is now telling me that I must decline the ITA if I wish to receive the nomination.

My question is: is there any benefit to accepting an invitation when I already have an ITA? Could it possibly make my application more successful? The OINP would like an answer before new years.

Thank you all for your help!

Getting ITA directly from the Express Entry pool is the best. That is tantamount to the Federal Skilled Worker scheme in which you can live in any province of your choice besides Quebec. Provincial nomination limits you to just that province. So, it is a massive plus for you.

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Telitos said:

Getting ITA directly from the Express Entry pool is the best. That is tantamount to the Federal Skilled Worker scheme in which you can live in any province of your choice besides Quebec. Provincial nomination limits you to just that province in some ways even if the law still mentions that you can live anywhere. So, it is a massive plus for you.

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Thank you for the further replies.

It seems to be the majority opinion indeed, but whether the sole purpose of the nomination is to get an ITA is not actually certain. Someone pointed out to me that Provincial Nominees have a 96% success rate obtaining PR. Not a negligible figure. Perhaps having a nomination would increase the likelyhood that my PR application will be a successful one. And that is really what it is all about.

Also, Gentleandrew, when you say that the nomination "limits you to a single province", this is not accurate. Under the Canadian constitution, PR's have the freedom to live in the province they choose, wherever, whenever.

However, when accepting a nomination, you must basically swear that you intend to reside in that province. But, should you try and not be able to make a decent living in that province once you reside in it, you could be forced to look elsewhere. And that, from what I understand, is not something that provinces have a legal recourse against.

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
I should clarify that I indeed intend to reside in Ontario. So this is not exactly a deciding factor for me as I certainly will try to reside in Ontario.

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Telitos said:
Thank you for the further replies.

It seems to be the majority opinion indeed, but whether the sole purpose of the nomination is to get an ITA is not actually certain. Someone pointed out to me that Provincial Nominees have a 96% success rate obtaining PR. Not a negligible figure. Perhaps having a nomination would increase the likelyhood that my PR application will be a successful one. And that is really what it is all about.

Also, Gentleandrew, when you say that the nomination "limits you to a single province", this is not accurate. Under the Canadian constitution, PR's have the freedom to live in the province they choose, wherever, whenever.

However, when accepting a nomination, you must basically swear that you intend to reside in that province. But, should you try and not be able to make a decent living in that province once you reside in it, you could be forced to look elsewhere. And that, from what I understand, is not something that provinces have a legal recourse against.

Back up what you mean by, " PR's have the freedom to live in the province they choose, wherever, whenever," with your proof. Lead us to where the constitution can be found for provincial nominees to live anywhere. Why will they class one as FEDERAL and the other PROVINCIAL? There are different classes of PRs ; provincial nominee, Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades , Canada Experience Class etc. When accepting the nomination, you are agreeing to help build the economy of that province and that is why you have signed up to join them. Why is it called provincial nomination then if you are not suppose to be just in that province? Why are you swearing or pledging your allegiance to that province if the rule is that you can live anywhere? Like Quebec immigration, you want to storm out of their province and then go and live elsewhere after your nomination? It is better you gather your facts well before trouble beckons. They will soon start cracking down on the insincere people who after pledging run away. There is likely going to be troubles again when such applies to be citizens.

K4n4d4WS

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Edmonton AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
21-03-2016
Nomination.....
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
10-11-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
04-05-2016
Passport Req..
08-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Telitos said:
I think that the reason for success rate of 96% for PNP is that they got approved for their eligibility from the provinces
befor they applied for PR to CIC.
The other thing is that there are many refusals from applicants to the different PNP program.
and yes.... the purpose of the PNP nomination is to get over the cutoff score of the draw to get an ITA
by the way if you have any mistakes/errors in your application then its doesn't matter if you have a PNP nomination or not

Telitos said:
it limits you to the province if you need a work permit during the processing of the PR-application

Telitos said:
after you got your PR you have to land in that province which nominated you, its doesn't matter after you did your landing

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Telitos said:
I should clarify that I indeed intend to reside in Ontario. So this is not exactly a deciding factor for me as I certainly will try to reside in Ontario.

Important Operational Bulletin posted for PNP on cic.gc.ca website on November 24, 2010
See the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob251.asp

Operational Bulletin 251 -
November 24, 2010
Examination of Members of the Provincial Nominee Class at Ports of Entry and CIC Inland Offices
Issue
This operational bulletin (OB) provides instructions regarding the examination of individuals in the Provincial Nominee (PN) class seeking permanent resident status who indicate that they never intended or no longer intend to reside in the nominating province or territory.This OB is being published in conjunction with a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) memorandum to Border Services Officers (BSOs).

Background
Paragraph 87(2)(b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) states that a foreign national is a member of the PN class if they intend to reside in the province that has nominated them.

A permanent resident visa holder in the PN class seeking permanent resident status at a Port of Entry (POE) must therefore establish that they still intend to reside in the province/territory that has nominated them.
Overview of instructions to BSOs
Individuals who indicate that they intend to proceed to and reside in the province/territory of nomination, and who meet the other requirements of the legislation, should be processed for permanent resident status.

Individuals who indicate that they never intended, or no longer intend, to reside in the nominating province/territory may be denied permanent resident status at the POE and may have an A44(1) report written against them./

In the case of individuals who indicate at the POE that they no longer intend to reside in the nominating province/territory, the A44(1) report may be written for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR pursuant to section 41 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA).

An additional allegation of misrepresentation, pursuant to paragraph 40(1)(a) of the IRPA for R87(2)(b), may be included in the A44(1) report for those individuals who indicate that they never intended to reside in the nominating province/territory, if supported by the information obtained through examination at the POE.

BSOs may also choose to exercise the following options if they are not satisfied with respect to an individual's intention to reside in the nominating province/territory:

•Offer the individual the option of voluntarily withdrawing their application for permanent residence. If this option is accepted by the applicant, the BSO should seize the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CPR) document and inform the issuing visa office and the appropriate CIC inland office in the province/territory of nomination.
•If the applicant does not exercise the option to voluntarily withdraw their application for permanent residence, the BSO may adjourn the examination and, pursuant to section 23 of the IRPA, authorize the person to enter Canada for the purpose of further examination. As authorized under Item 102 of the CBSA Delegations and Designations [PDF format], the examination should be referred for finalization to the appropriate CIC inland office in the nominating province/territory. The BSO should seize the applicant's CPR document and forward it to the appropriate CIC inland office along with relevant case information (e.g., Statutory Declaration from the individual stating that they do not intend to reside in the province/territory of nomination, officer's interview notes). The CPR documents of accompanying family members should also be seized and forwarded to the appropriate CIC inland office.
Note: If the applicant states that a representative advised them that residence in the province/territory of nomination is not a requirement of the PN class, the BSO should inform the appropriate CIC inland office in the province/territory of nomination and record a non-computer based entry in FOSS with information concerning the representative.

Overview of instructions to CIC inland offices
In cases where a BSO adjourns the examination of individuals in the PN class to a CIC inland office for finalization, the CIC inland office should contact the responsible provincial/territorial authorities and provide relevant case information, including the name, date of birth and nomination certificate number of the principal applicant and their accompanying family members, if available. Timely notificiation of provincial/territorial authorities will afford them the opportunity to make contact with the applicant between the time of the POE referral and the CIC inland office examination, should they wish to do so.

Should the nominating province/territory elect to withdraw their nomination certificate before the CIC examination, the CIC inland office should inform the applicant that their application for permanent residence is refused, and an A44(1) report should be prepared alleging non-compliance pursuant to section 41 of the IRPA in that the applicant is not named in a nomination certificate issued by the government of a province/territory as required by paragraph 87(2)(a) of the IRPR.

If the nominating province/territory has maintained their nomination certificate and, upon examination, the CIC officer is satisfied with respect to the applicant's intent to reside in the nominating province/territory as required by paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR, the applicant should be processed for permanent resident status.

Should the nominating province/territory maintain their nomination certificate and, upon examination, the CIC officer is not satisfied with respect to the applicant's intent to reside in the nominating province/territory as required by paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR, the officer may choose to write an A44(1) report.

In the case of individuals who indicate upon examination at the CIC inland office that they no longer intend to reside in the nominating province/territory, the A44(1) report may be written for non-compliance with paragraph 87(2)(b) of the IRPR pursuant to section 41 of the IRPA.

An additional allegation of misrepresentation, pursuant to paragraph 40(1)(a) of the IRPA for R87(2)(b), may be included in the A44(1) report for those individuals who indicate that they never intended to reside in the nominating province/territory, if supported by the information obtained through examination at the CIC inland office.

Officers should communicate CIC's final decision in accordance with the terms of the applicable Federal-Provincial/Territorial Agreement with respect to Provincial Nominees.

For further information or questions regarding the guidance outlined in this OB, please contact your supervisor or your Regional Program Advisor (RPA). RPAs may in turn contact Operational Management and Coordination Branch.

K4n4d4WS

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Edmonton AB
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2015
Doc's Request.
21-03-2016
Nomination.....
29-05-2015
AOR Received.
10-11-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
04-05-2016
Passport Req..
08-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
GENTLEANDREW said:
Back up what you mean by, " PR's have the freedom to live in the province they choose, wherever, whenever," with your proof. Lead us to where the constitution can be found for provincial nominees to live anywhere. Why will they class one as FEDERAL and the other PROVINCIAL? There are different classes of PRs ; provincial nominee, Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades , Canada Experience Class etc. When accepting the nomination, you are agreeing to help build the economy of that province and that is why you have signed up to join them. Why is it called provincial nomination then if you are not suppose to be just in that province? Why are you swearing or pledging your allegiance to that province if the rule is that you can live anywhere? Like Quebec immigration, you want to storm out of their province and then go and live elsewhere after your nomination? It is better you gather your facts well before trouble beckons. They will soon start cracking down on the insincere people who after pledging run away. There is likely going to be troubles again when such applies to be citizens.
Telitos is right
PR's have the freedom to live in the province they choose
the only difference for the PR's of PNP nominations is that they have to land in the nominating province
after they landed they are free to move to any other province they like

but i wouldn't do it right after the landing

GENTLEANDREW

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
K4n4d4WS said:
Telitos is right
PR's have the freedom to live in the province they choose
the only difference for the PR's of PNP nominations is that they have to land in the nominating province
after they landed they are free to move to any other province they like

but i wouldn't do it right after the landing

Why can't they land immediately in any province?

Why are they made to sign the provincial forms which has a provision there that they must remain in that province?

Why will you not want to move away the way others have being doing if not for the fear of nemesis someday?

Telitos

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
GENTLEANDREW said:

Under the heading "Mobility Rights", the section reads,
“ 6. (1) Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada.
(2) Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right
a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
(3) The rights specified in subsection (2) are subject to
a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis of province of present or previous residence; and
b) any laws providing for reasonable residency requirements as a qualification for the receipt of publicly provided social services.
(4) Subsections (2) and (3) do not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration in a province of conditions of individuals in that province who are socially or economically disadvantaged if the rate of employment in that province is below the rate of employment in Canada."

That ought to do it.

Also, you say: "There are different classes of PRs ; provincial nominee, Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades , Canada Experience Class etc."

I don't have any documentation to support this, but the way I understand it, there are no such "classes" of PR. Once a Permanent Resident, you are a Permanent Resident and that is it (refugees might have a different kind of status, I don't know, although if they also become Permanent Resident, I would guess they are no longer refugees per se, but just Permanent Residents). What you are referring to are Express Entry Streams, different options to obtain Permanent Residency. Again, this is only my understanding of it.

Lastly, the wording you use such as "pledging alliance" is very strong and is making the whole thing sound a bit too dramatic. If the Canadian constitution protects its citizens' right to mobility, there probably is a good reason for it. As for judging a character based on whether he/she abides by his/her original promise to establish himself/herself in a given province, this isn't for us to judge. Personally, I can think of many legitimate reasons for a newly established PR to want to live in a different province than the one she/he had intended to live into originally. Economic reasons especially come to my mind (is it really beneficial to anyone to force an immigrant to live in a given province when the specific type of job that person is most suited for is in high demand in a different province and in very low demand in the province that person currently resides in? That's one possible scenario.)

It is a complicated issue no doubt, and this just isn't the place to generalize on it.

Besides, like I said, ideally, I want to reside in Ontario. I'm not misleading anyone as to my intentions. I don't believe I am.