+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC vs Prior experience and education

Alrofai

Jul 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am in my final semester of MASc of Software Engineering in Canada and plan to submit my PNP application next month. However, considering my education, prior experience, and current job versus the NOC requirements, I am unsure what NOC to choose.

I have a bachelor's degree in electrical and electronics engineering. We were taught computer/engineering science subjects (C++, Comp arch Networking ). Since then, I have been interested in programming and landed a job as a full-stack developer( Web development and DevOps). I had six years of experience before coming to Canada and currently working full-time while studying in Canada in the same field.

When Looking at NOC (21234 Web Developer,21231 Software Engineer) employment requirements below, I am not sure if my electrical and electronics bachelor's degree is considered relevant (I guess not), and if so, will my master in software engineering and prior experience make me eligible for those NOCs?
21231:
  • A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering, or mathematics, or completion of a college program in computer science is usually required.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in a related discipline may be required.
  • A bachelor's degree, usually in computer science, computer programming, Web development, or software engineering, or completion of a college program in computer science or related field is usually required.
  • Experience as a computer programmer is usually required.

Also, I am not even sure what NOC to go for considering the above and my current job responsibilities, which are kinda everything in the below areas:
Web development: Write, modify, and review code
Cloud: Provision new resources on Azure, maintain existing resources, and set up monitoring.
DevOps: Create and manage CI/CD pipelines

Regards,