+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC requirements and how CIC check on work experience outside canada

friso237

Oct 12, 2016
Hi everyone and thank you for providing this platform, it is really helping me putting things togheter for my application.
I'm in Toronto with a IEC permit of 6 months, I'm from italy and I work here as Visual Effect Artist, I do digital compositing for film.

I've 2 questions regarding EXPRESS ENTRY:

I need to know how CIC check on previous work experience outside Canada because I need to collect all the evidence before apply as the company I'm working for here in Toronto asked me to stay for the next year through the express entry system, federal skilled worker, and I need to apply asap and I want everything ready by that moment. I've 5 years of experience in my field outside Canada (all of this in italy), category of my NOC should be the 5241 "Graphic Designers and Illustrators".

Second question is :
I don't have any other degree or study title after High School diploma . I studied this work online by myself with online courses and tutorials; studying in a university/college or similar can help, but it is not definitely necessary to get into this job.
I can read from the NOC 5241 page:
Employment requirements:
-A university degree in visual arts with specialization in graphic design, commercial art, graphic communications or cartooning
or

Completion of a college diploma program in graphic arts is required.
-Experience or training in multimedia design at a post-secondary, college or technical institution may be required.
-In addition to the arts, training in biology, engineering, architecture or a scientific field is usually required for medical, technical and scientific illustrators.
-Creative ability and artistic talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required for graphic designers and illustrators.

Can someone of you help me understand if this requirement is absolutely mandatory or there is a way for me to get through this? The express entry system eligibility test accept the High school diploma (because it is based on points...), but I fear the fact that I will be asked to give proof of this kind of study title that I don't have because of the NOC requirements.... please help me!
Thank you in advance for your help and availability

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Q1.
For work experience outside Canada, you will require a reference that meets all the same criteria as the reference letter for your Canadian work Experience.

Q2.
The education listed under the NOC is not mandatory for immigration.

friso237

Oct 12, 2016
Thank you for the fast reply and availability, I really appreciate it.
Following your answer, a couple of more question came up to me...

1)I worked as a freelancer for 2 years for a company based in the US, I was working from Italy.
Should I prepare a list of REFERENCE LETTER or should I prepare just one letter containing all the projects we have worked on with dates and details? As the projects were coming one after the other, I don't know the starting and ending date of all of them, how can I manage the insertion of the dates? should they be all sequential? (for example starting date 11/06/16 ending date I can put the day I received the payment like 25/06/16, than the starting date of the next project will be 26/06/16 and ending date the day of the payment).

2)I don't have paystub so I will be able to provide just those letters, is that ok?

3)should I include the NOC number in the reference letter coming from an employer from outside Canada? for example an Italian employer who hired me in Italy.

thanks!!!!!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
friso237 said:
1)I worked as a freelancer for 2 years for a company based in the US, I was working from Italy.
Should I prepare a list of REFERENCE LETTER or should I prepare just one letter containing all the projects we have worked on with dates and details? As the projects were coming one after the other, I don't know the starting and ending date of all of them, how can I manage the insertion of the dates? should they be all sequential? (for example starting date 11/06/16 ending date I can put the day I received the payment like 25/06/16, than the starting date of the next project will be 26/06/16 and ending date the day of the payment).

If you worked as a freelancer, you need to document the work as self-employed. See the section "Proof of work experience."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

You will need a letter from your client, and any contracts or other work agreements / work orders... If you worked for a US based company, they would be required to give you a 1099-MISC tax document every year, you can include that.

3)should I include the NOC number in the reference letter coming from an employer from outside Canada? for example an Italian employer who hired me in Italy.

It would be OK but not absolutely mandatory, the job duties and responsibilities described in the letter should be pretty clear for your NOC...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
friso237 said:
Hi everyone and thank you for providing this platform, it is really helping me putting things togheter for my application.
I'm in Toronto with a IEC permit of 6 months, I'm from italy and I work here as Visual Effect Artist, I do digital compositing for film.
... because I need to collect all the evidence before apply as the company I'm working for here in Toronto asked me to stay for the next year through the express entry system, federal skilled worker, and I need to apply asap and I want everything ready by that moment. ....
Um... your urgency suggests you do not really understand how express entry works...

After you submit your profile, if you are eligible, you go into a pool of applicants with a CRS score. IRCC then invites a select number of applicants each month based on the highest scores. Even if you are eligible, if your score is not high enough, you will not get an invitation to apply, or you could have to wait several months, etc...

If your employer wants you to stay, the best option is for them to apply for an LMIA for you to get a new work permit; you could also use this to get a 600-point bonus on your score, guaranteeing an invitation to apply.

Alternatlively, if the Ontario PNP program re-opens, you might be eligible to apply for that (another 600pt bonus), but that takes more time to process as well...

PrinceKumar

Feb 16, 2018

I've 2 questions regarding EXPRESS ENTRY:

I need to know how CIC check on previous work experience outside Canada because I need to collect all the evidence before apply as the company I'm working for here in Toronto asked me to stay for the next year through the express entry system, federal skilled worker, and I need to apply asap and I want everything ready by that moment. I've 5 years of experience in my field outside Canada (all of this in italy), category of my NOC should be the 5241 "Graphic Designers and Illustrators".

Second question is :
I don't have any other degree or study title after High School diploma . I studied this work online by myself with online courses and tutorials; studying in a university/college or similar can help, but it is not definitely necessary to get into this job.
I can read from the NOC 5241 page:
Employment requirements:
-A university degree in visual arts with specialization in graphic design, commercial art, graphic communications or cartooning
or
Completion of a college diploma program in graphic arts is required.

-Experience or training in multimedia design at a post-secondary, college or technical institution may be required.
-In addition to the arts, training in biology, engineering, architecture or a scientific field is usually required for medical, technical and scientific illustrators.
-Creative ability and artistic talent, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required for graphic designers and illustrators.

Can someone of you help me understand if this requirement is absolutely mandatory or there is a way for me to get through this? The express entry system eligibility test accept the High school diploma (because it is based on points...), but I fear the fact that I will be asked to give proof of this kind of study title that I don't have because of the NOC requirements.... please help me!
Thank you in advance for your help and availability
Hey Frisbo,

I'm similar situation. Have good experience in Graphic Designing with supported Reference Letters but no Degree or Diploma. Could you please update about you application status?