+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Job match 20%. No other NOC remotely matches job duties. Approval possibility ?

Nothing_but_the_truth

Aug 13, 2018
Hey everybody,

As obvious as the thread title sounds, I have been trying to find the best suited NOC for one of my jobs and have been up and down through this forum but cant find any information related to it.
I am not trying to get someone to tell me what's my NOC as I know only I can best tell.
So anyways my question is my job duties fit perfectly under 2 of the 10 points mentioned for NOC 2212 and I have been through the whole thing and I cant find anything else to remotely match the Job duties of a petroleum technician. Petroleum engineering is such a vast field and it is hard to perfectly match the duties.

I am trying to explain this out in my LOE, but is there a chance of approval here ? basically my job duties would be a subset of many points under the 2 points in this NOC 2212.

Would really appreciate a feedback from any member. Especially of the more informed ones- @scylla @DelPiero07 @BillHyatt

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Really!! I checked my sent emails from 2016 and copy pasted the email addresses

Nothing_but_the_truth

Aug 13, 2018
Oh yes I remember open this link and try the form below

http://www1.canada.ca/en/contact/noc.html
I'd say don't bother. I emailed this exact address last year and received a very generic reply. It was useless.
I have lost hope lol.I just cant find a match for my job duties as a petroleum technician. basically the one point under the NOC that suits me is "perform repair and maintenance on oil and gas equipment" - now this is vague but is a perfect header for my entire job duties. I dont know what to do.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
I have lost hope lol.I just cant find a match for my job duties as a petroleum technician. basically the one point under the NOC that suits me is "perform repair and maintenance on oil and gas equipment" - now this is vague but is a perfect header for my entire job duties. I dont know what to do.
I'm in a similar situation too. I worked as a LWD (logging while drilling) technician for one year and its job duties are so specific that I couldnt find a perfect NOC either. the max I could do was find the job title which is petroleum technician and only 3 of the points mentioned under the NOC even matched my entire Job description that I actually got confirmed from my company, but I guess it'd be okay to explain that in the LOE and we should be fine.
@hope2018 do you have any idea about this ? as in if only few points are matching with the job duties but thats the best I can find.

Last edited:

Nothing_but_the_truth

Aug 13, 2018
I'm in a similar situation too. I worked as a LWD (logging while drilling) technician for one year and its job duties are so specific that I couldnt find a perfect NOC either. the max I could do was find the job title which is petroleum technician and only 3 of the points mentioned under the NOC even matched my entire Job description that I actually got confirmed from my company, but I guess it'd be okay to explain that in the LOE and we should be fine.
@hope2018 do you have any idea about this ? as in if only few points are matching with the job duties but thats the best I can find.
did you use NOC 2212 too ? I really hope IRCC will accept it. I dont know how else to confirm. I tried contacting them but they sent a generic response which doesn't help and I also tried looking for similar jobs in the job bank but it doesn't list out the NOC.

viki1805

Jun 13, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
did you use NOC 2212 too ? I really hope IRCC will accept it. I dont know how else to confirm. I tried contacting them but they sent a generic response which doesn't help and I also tried looking for similar jobs in the job bank but it doesn't list out the NOC.
Yes I did use NOC 2212, its the only one that has Petroleum technician under its example titles.

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
Umm ideally there should be an atleast 50% match but since there is nothing you could find, then only the closest match can be chosen.

But if it is specific to petroleum engineering I would suggest to create a specific thread and let people who are from same stream pitch in with their experiences ( either in middle of process or got PR already).