+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Code for Post-doctoral Research Fellow

postdoc_fellow1008

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
Hello Narayan,

The National Occupational Classification 2016 has post-doctoral research fellow listed in 4011.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitlesQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011&ver=16&val65=postdoc

However please make sure that your duties match the description for the postdoc code (4011). If not please use a more appropriate code. I held a postdoc position too and have recently applied for my PR (yet to get it). I have used the code 2121 - Biologists and related scientists as it matches my duties better than 4011. I did not teach/lecture/advice students during my postdoc.

There are other threads on this forum regarding the 'Postdoc NOC code'. Several others have used different codes. Some have been rejected when they used 4011 and did not perform most of the listed duties (while some were granted their PR!). Generally, CIC recommends that the duties performed are more important while choosing one's NOC code.

I hope this helps.

Ajay
Hi,

To my understanding, if your job title is literally indicated as "Postdoctoral Fellow" on your contract, then you should use NOC 4011 (professors, postdocs, etc.). Note that "SOME OR ALL" of the main duties included in the description may apply. It's okay that not everything applies to your specific job description. So if you're a postdoc but did not do any teaching, did not advise graduate students, and only performed independent research, then use 4011 anyway, as one of the main duties indicate "Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books."

NOC 2121 sounds more to me for industry-related jobs (including industry jobs linked to educational institutions that are NOT postdocs). If you are doing a postdoc in industry, maybe this works better for you.

I believe that, in the end, what's more imperative is that your job title should match your NOC code of choice more than the description of duties. Again, not all the main duties have to be applicable. This just makes everything less complicated during your application.

I hope this helps clear up some misunderstanding.

Cheers

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,
I believe that, in the end, what's more imperative is that your job title should match your NOC code of choice more than the description of duties.

This is backwards and false. IRCC explicitly states that you choose the NOC based on job duties and responsibilities, not job title.

It is also not true to imply the other NOCs are for "industry" - you have to read the lead statement of the NOC. For example, NOC 2121 - Biologists -

http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=2&val1=2121&ver=16&val65=biologist

"Biologists and related scientists conduct basic and applied research to extend knowledge of living organisms, to manage natural resources, and to develop new practices and products related to medicine and agriculture. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, environmental consulting companies, resource and utilities companies, chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies and health and educational institutions."

So while this NOC is inclusive of industry, it also includes universities.

Again, not all the main duties have to be applicable.

This is true, however many post-docs in the past have been refused for chosing NOC 4011 because they didn't list teaching/faculty duties. While I would agree that this would be a miscarriage of justice, you still don't want it to happen to you. If you do research, you are encouraged to choose the NOC that best describes the focus of your research. In the 2016 version of the NOC, the description has improved a bit, but not much.

If still in doubt, you can write a letter of explanation about the problem you faced in choosing the NOC, describing the one(s) you considered and why you made your choice.

For example, say you're a post-doc researcher in biology. You considered NOC 2121 as well as 4011...

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Hi...

I was in similar kind of situation while choosing my NOC...My job title was Postdoctoral Fellow (NOC 4011) where my duties were purely research-based and it didn't involve any teaching element. The JDs I performed were similar to that of a chemist (2112)...I had only one matching JD for Postdoctoral Fellow, which was to conduct research and publish scholarly articles.. Whereas, eight of my twelve duties matched the NOC JDs of a chemist (2112)...Hence, I went ahead with NOC 2112 and I'm at NA2 stage with my application...I hope I've made the correct decision...

As a chemistry researcher, I've published a number of research articles and the same is mentioned in my reference letter...I hope it doesn't create a doubt in visa officers mind about my NOC as the same JD is there in Postdoctoral NOC -4011. Also, I haven't included any explanation for it in LOE. Should I raise a CSE and explain the same?. I have already ordered GCMS notes on 10th Jan 2018 to be prepared for any clarification is required from my side.

AOR: 30th Nov,
MEP: 12th Dec,
IP1: 13th Dec,
NA2: 14th Dec,
ADNR: 12th Jan 2018.

Please advise

Thanks
Dr. Amit

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi...

I was in similar kind of situation while choosing my NOC...My job title was Postdoctoral Fellow (NOC 4011) where my duties were purely research-based and it didn't involve any teaching element. The JDs I performed were similar to that of a chemist (2112)...I had only one matching JD for Postdoctoral Fellow, which was to conduct research and publish scholarly articles.. Whereas, eight of my twelve duties matched the NOC JDs of a chemist (2112)...Hence, I went ahead with NOC 2112 and I'm at NA2 stage with my application...I hope I've made the correct decision...

As a chemistry researcher, I've published a number of research articles and the same is mentioned in my reference letter...I hope it doesn't create a doubt in visa officers mind about my NOC as the same JD is there in Postdoctoral NOC -4011. Also, I haven't included any explanation for it in LOE. Should I raise a CSE and explain the same?. I have already ordered GCMS notes on 10th Jan 2018 to be prepared for any clarification is required from my side.

AOR: 30th Nov,
MEP: 12th Dec,
IP1: 13th Dec,
NA2: 14th Dec,
ADNR: 12th Jan 2018.

Please advise
I don't think you have anything to worry about - good luck !

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

aaquarius

May 23, 2018
Hello Guys,

The main applicant (my wife) has a PhD degree in Civil (Environmental) Engineering from the United States. She was doing RA during her PhD program. Currently, she is a post-doc fellow at US EPA.

We have got confused what NOC is appropriate for her work experience.

Her educational background NOC is 2131(Civil Engineer) and we know the NOC for RA during PhD program is 4012.

Her area of research in PhD program and current postdoc has been Environmental Engineering, but main topics include energy system model, emission reduction, carbon capture, life-cycle assessment.

My first question: we do not know which NOC would suit her duties as a postdoc fellow best?
(i) 4011 (Postdoc Fellow)? - but she does not have any teaching activities; only research and publishing papers, presenting the results for EPA administration or in conferences
(ii) 2131 (Civil Engineer)? but I could not find any relevant duties
(iii) 4161 (Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers) – I found these duties: Conduct research and advise on policies or develop or administer programs related to transportation, emergency preparedness, communications, natural resources, agriculture, the environment, traditional and alternative energy technologies, land use, recycling and other scientific fields

My second question: What the primary occupation NOC: 2131 (Civil Engineer) or something else based on for her current position as a postdoc?

I really appreciate your help in advance.

Last edited:

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
Hello Guys,

The main applicant (my wife) has a PhD degree in Civil (Environmental) Engineering from the United States. She was doing RA during her PhD program. Currently, she is a post-doc fellow at US EPA.

We have got confused what NOC is appropriate for her work experience.

Her educational background NOC is 2131(Civil Engineer) and we know the NOC for RA during PhD program is 4012.

Her area of research in PhD program and current postdoc has been Environmental Engineering, but main topics include energy system model, emission reduction, carbon capture, life-cycle assessment.

My first question: we do not know which NOC would suits her duties as a postdoc fellow best?
(i) 4011 (Postdoc Fellow)? - but she does not have any teaching activities; only research and publishing papers, presenting the results for EPA administration or in conferences
(ii) 2131 (Civil Engineer)? but I could not find any relevant duties
(iii) 4161 (Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers) – I found these duties: Conduct research and advise on policies or develop or administer programs related to transportation, emergency preparedness, communications, natural resources, agriculture, the environment, traditional and alternative energy technologies, land use, recycling and other scientific fields

My second question: What the primary occupation NOC: 2131 (Civil Engineer) or something else based on for her current position as a postdoc?

I really appreciate your help in advance.
Use 4011 for postdoc and 4012 for RA... This are the correct codes ..

Reactions: aaquarius

aaquarius

May 23, 2018
Use 4011 for postdoc and 4012 for RA... This are the correct codes ..
Thank you very much, karthik506!

Just one more question; What would be the primary occupation NOC? 4011 as the main work experience or 2131 (Civil Engineer) as the educational background? I assume the eligibility date is the graduation date from PhD program.

tripathiam87

May 29, 2018
Hi,

Did you get your PR? I am also planning to apply for it. I am doing my postdoc in Quebec.

Thanks,
Abhi

Dear All,

I am working in Athabasca University, Alberta as a post-doctoral research fellow since May 2016. I want to create an express entry profile. I have following confusions:

1. Should I create choose Canadian Experience Class while creating Express Entry Profile? I have not come across any of that till now. I am in the process of filling necessary information, as of now.

2. What is the NOC code for post-doctoral research fellow. Previously, it was under 4011. (see: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitlesQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011&ver=16&val65=postdoctoral+fellow). Now, when I opened the link from my express entry form filling link (see: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitles.aspx?val=2&val1=4011&ver=11&_ga=2.215734367.977179035.1495726455-836976182.1495665211), it is not there any more? Any idea? Did CIC recently delete it from 4011?

Hope to get your reply soon.

Regards,
Narayan Shrestha

vmgobinath

Feb 11, 2017
Hey....Thanks a lot for ur support

Have received my PPR...
Dear Dr Amit,

Congrats...

I have a few following questions. Please support.
I have got my invitation letter for Postdoc with NOC code 4011 in a university, Montreal, Quebec.
Planning to move as a family (Wife + 2kids- 11/8yrs) & apply for Work permit in the month of Jan'2019.

Any good consultancy who can handle and guide me for the work permit in India (Preference -Chennai/ Bangalore)
When can I apply for PR?
Is it mandatory IELTS Score? if yes, How much min required?

Omofar

Jul 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I've already got my PR and have landed in June. I've used NOC as per my JDs and not the job title. I used chemist as my NOC. So, make sure U choose one closely resmerese ur JDs
Congratulations!

I guess this makes more sense.

All the best

Omofar