+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC Code for Post-doctoral Research Fellow

May 25, 2017
Dear All,

I am working in Athabasca University, Alberta as a post-doctoral research fellow since May 2016. I want to create an express entry profile. I have following confusions:

1. Should I create choose Canadian Experience Class while creating Express Entry Profile? I have not come across any of that till now. I am in the process of filling necessary information, as of now.

2. What is the NOC code for post-doctoral research fellow. Previously, it was under 4011. (see: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitlesQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011&ver=16&val65=postdoctoral+fellow). Now, when I opened the link from my express entry form filling link (see: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitles.aspx?val=2&val1=4011&ver=11&_ga=2.215734367.977179035.1495726455-836976182.1495665211), it is not there any more? Any idea? Did CIC recently delete it from 4011?

Hope to get your reply soon.

Regards,
Narayan Shrestha

drajay

Oct 8, 2015
Hello Narayan,

The National Occupational Classification 2016 has post-doctoral research fellow listed in 4011.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitlesQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011&ver=16&val65=postdoc

However please make sure that your duties match the description for the postdoc code (4011). If not please use a more appropriate code. I held a postdoc position too and have recently applied for my PR (yet to get it). I have used the code 2121 - Biologists and related scientists as it matches my duties better than 4011. I did not teach/lecture/advice students during my postdoc.

There are other threads on this forum regarding the 'Postdoc NOC code'. Several others have used different codes. Some have been rejected when they used 4011 and did not perform most of the listed duties (while some were granted their PR!). Generally, CIC recommends that the duties performed are more important while choosing one's NOC code.

I hope this helps.

Ajay

May 25, 2017
Dear Ajay,

Very good answer. Solve some of my concerns.

I still could not find the "PDF" position under 4011. Are we using the same website? I am on this:
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitles.aspx?val=2&val1=4011&ver=11&_ga=2.19804920.1932916177.1495765900-1184962113.1491449447

It says NOC 2011, and near the end of the page it also states " Date modified: 2017-05-25", means this should be the latest one! Further, in this page (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/noc.asp), in one of the note, it states "CIC assesses jobs against the 2011 version of the NOC". So, it is confusing!

Ajay, did you apply yourself or through some agency? Are you doing your post-doc in Canada? If you allow, can I get connected with you to ask for some practical questions that I might come across?

One more thing: I also don't teach and I also need to find another NOC code. I am in Canada, just completed first year of post-doc. My primary profession is Civil Engineering. I specialized in Water Resources Engineering. In my post-doc, my focus is hydrological and water quality modelling of river basins. I found "Engineering Scientist" at: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/Profile.aspx?val=2&val1=2148&ver=11&_ga=2.153325112.1269198727.1495766254-1184962113.1491449447 What do you think about it? Or, should I go for water resources engineer, whose job description includes Design, Drawing etc, which I am not doing. as post-doc, the main job is research and publication.

Thanking you,
Narayan

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Hey guys,

I tried to search for Research Fellow position in the search bar and it pops up 4011. I do have responsibilities to supervise and guide students apart from my research duties although my specialization matches computational biology (2121)).

I have currently chosen 4011 as most of the responsibilities matches to mine. They are:
  • Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
  • Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
  • Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books
  • May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
  • May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
However, I don't really do any teaching and that is what I am worried about.

On the other hand, the lead statement of 2121 is the one which summaries what I do

"Biologists and related scientists conduct basic and applied research to extend knowledge of living organisms, to manage natural resources, and to develop new practices and products related to medicine and agriculture. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, environmental consulting companies, resource and utilities companies, chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies and health and educational institutions".

Please advice, I am really confused here.

many thanks,

May 25, 2017
Hey guys,
Dear,
Are you sure that the post-doctoral research fellow position is still there? Can you share the link? Please refer my link:
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitles.aspx?val=2&val1=4011&ver=11&_ga=2.19804920.1932916177.1495765900-1184962113.1491449447

This should be the latest one. While filling the express entry profile, I could not find the post-doctoral research fellow in their system.

Therefore, I choose different NOC code such as "hydrologist". I think you should go for NOC 2121. But, please take expert's suggestion.

Narayan

I tried to search for Research Fellow position in the search bar and it pops up 4011. I do have responsibilities to supervise and guide students apart from my research duties although my specialization matches computational biology (2121)).

I have currently chosen 4011 as most of the responsibilities matches to mine. They are:
  • Advise students on course and academic matters and career decisions
  • Direct research programs of graduate students and advise on research matters
  • Conduct research in field of specialization and publish findings in scholarly journals or books
  • May serve on faculty committees dealing with such matters as curriculum planning and degree requirements, and perform a variety of administrative duties
  • May represent their universities as speakers and guest lecturers
However, I don't really do any teaching and that is what I am worried about.

On the other hand, the lead statement of 2121 is the one which summaries what I do

"Biologists and related scientists conduct basic and applied research to extend knowledge of living organisms, to manage natural resources, and to develop new practices and products related to medicine and agriculture. They are employed in both laboratory and field settings by governments, environmental consulting companies, resource and utilities companies, chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnical companies and health and educational institutions".

Please advice, I am really confused here.

many thanks,

Reactions: sat8979

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks Narayan. If you search for the title "Postdoctoral Fellow" it shows 4011. I agree it doesn't show the title specifically in the list. Whatsoever, it is the job responsibilities that matter. - at least that is what I did.

I felt that my job responsibilities were almost similar to 4011. My position is not really a pure research but I do have administration, supervision responsibilities as well. When comparing with 2121, all I have in similar is the the lead statement which is quite broad.

I guess, in the worst scenario if NOC doesn't match, I can possibly give the explanation of NOC 2121 since it is as well "A category" skill or do you reckon they will reject the application outright?

many thanks,

damitdada

Star Member
Jul 3, 2017
Hello Narayan,

The National Occupational Classification 2016 has post-doctoral research fellow listed in 4011.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitlesQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011&ver=16&val65=postdoc

However please make sure that your duties match the description for the postdoc code (4011). If not please use a more appropriate code. I held a postdoc position too and have recently applied for my PR (yet to get it). I have used the code 2121 - Biologists and related scientists as it matches my duties better than 4011. I did not teach/lecture/advice students during my postdoc.

There are other threads on this forum regarding the 'Postdoc NOC code'. Several others have used different codes. Some have been rejected when they used 4011 and did not perform most of the listed duties (while some were granted their PR!). Generally, CIC recommends that the duties performed are more important while choosing one's NOC code.

I hope this helps.

Ajay
Hello Dr. Ajay

I am in the similar situation...About to create my EE profile....I have a Ph.D. in chemistry , after which I worked as an Research Associate followed by a three year postdoc...What would u suggest me to use as my NOC...2112 (chemist) or 4012...

Thanks
Dr. Amit

Last edited:

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Hello Dr. Ajay

I am in the similar situation...About to create my EE profile....I have a Ph.D. in chemistry , after which I worked as an Research Associate followed by a three year postdoc...What would u suggest me to use as my NOC...2112 (chemist) or 4012...

Thanks
Dr. Amit
Dear Amit,

Can you try list out your job responsibilities and possibly we can help. My suggestion would be to go for the one which matches closely with your job responsibilities. If it is purely research-based then go for 2112, however, if it has supervision components, administration, teaching, course preparation etc, please go for 4011.

Best wishes,

Tuki

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
Dear All,

I am working in Athabasca University, Alberta as a post-doctoral research fellow since May 2016. I want to create an express entry profile. I have following confusions:

1. Should I create choose Canadian Experience Class while creating Express Entry Profile? I have not come across any of that till now. I am in the process of filling necessary information, as of now.

2. What is the NOC code for post-doctoral research fellow. Previously, it was under 4011. (see: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitlesQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4011&ver=16&val65=postdoctoral+fellow). Now, when I opened the link from my express entry form filling link (see: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ViewAllTitles.aspx?val=2&val1=4011&ver=11&_ga=2.215734367.977179035.1495726455-836976182.1495665211), it is not there any more? Any idea? Did CIC recently delete it from 4011?

Regards,
Narayan Shrestha

Hi

I am currently working as a PDF since last two and half years in Chemical Engineering at University of New Brunswick. Recently I have received my PR using 4011 NOC code. I don't think so it would be a problem if you use this NOC code. Just try to match the responsibilities as much as you can. It Doesn't need to match 100%.

Best of luck.

uma1982suthan

Star Member
Feb 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-11-2017
Hi Folks,

A quick verification from expert is appreciated for my doubt. As per my CRS prediction, I got 429 as shown below. I created and submitted my EE profile and within a day, I received a message from CIC stating that “You do not meet the minimum entry criteria”, and message further indicated that ‘We regret to inform you that you are no longer eligible to be in the pool.’ I have taken IELTS with scores of L 6.5, W 7, S 7.5 and R 8. I have got my ECA as well. I choose my NOC code as 2121, since 4011 was not appropriate as you all mentioned (just completed my 3 years of experience as a Postdoc)

I could not imagine any possible fault in my profile building process. Please help me.

xtjables

Nov 30, 2017
Dear All,

Regards,
Narayan Shrestha

Hi Narayan,

Could you please clarify a bit which NOC did you apply?

Which NOC number did you end up choosing and have you already got your PR?

I believe most of the PDFs matching NOC2121 with the same situation are still confused, and I am one of them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jables