NOC Code for EIT (Engineer-In-Training) or Non-PEng Holders

toronto.111

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys,

I am a University Graduate (B.A.Sc Engineering) who is working as "Electrical Technical Professional" in an engineering company. I am also registered in EIT Program with Professional Engineers Ontario. I am confused between two NOC Codes, NOC 2133 and NOC 2241.

I believe my ‘employment requirements’ and ‘job duties’ match more closely with 2133. But the only thing that does not match is the 'Job Title'. All the ‘example titles’ for this NOC code 2133 on HRSDC website include the term “Engineer”. Please note that the term “Engineer” can only be used in the job title if that person hold a Professional Engineering license as a ‘P.Eng’ with a provincial licensing and regulating body for engineering. However, it is not necessary for the person to be licensed to practice engineering while working under the direct supervision of a P.Eng. Even a non-licensed professional (such as EIT) can prepare engineering drawings and reports, but it can be ONLY be signed and stamped by a P.Eng after checking them.

Where as, NOC 2241 code is for someone who graduated with a 2 or 3 year diploma program from college, and working as a technician or a technologist. This clearly does not apply to me.

My question is:

What is a NOC code for a person (such as EIT) who have the exact same ‘employment requirements’ and ‘job duties’ as (NOC 2133), but does not have a ‘P.Eng’ (or “Engineer” in his job title). Can he/she use the same NOC 2133 to identify his occupation ?

Also, Do we have anybody on the forum. Who had experienced a similar dilemma and applied CEC using NOC codes for engineers (213X) without having P.Eng or "Engineer" in the job titles? What was the outcome ? Pls help.

Thank you.

chi_1988

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
31-10-2013
Med's Done....
4-11-2013
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
15-12-2013
Your NOC Code is 2133 unless you dont work under the direct supervision of licensed professional.

toronto.111

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for replying chi_1988, but are you 100% sure, I just don't want to take any risks. Do we have someone here who has been in a exact same situation, with his PR approved ?

hello12345

Oct 28, 2013
toronto.111 said:
Thanks for replying chi_1988, but are you 100% sure, I just don't want to take any risks. Do we have someone here who has been in a exact same situation, with his PR approved ?
I am with chi_1988 on this too . And also "Engineer" can be used for someone with EIT designation. The old old rules wouldnt let you use Engineer if you are not PEng but that rule has been changed !

toronto.111

Star Member
Jul 7, 2013
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure about other provincial associations, But with PEO (Professional Engineers Ontario), EIT cannot even write "Engineer-in-Training" he can either use "EIT" or "Engineering Intern". But anyways, my employer is not going to write any of them. My letter says Job title as "Electrical Technical Professional". Is this title good enough to apply under NOC 2133 ?

chi_1988

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
31-10-2013
Med's Done....
4-11-2013
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
15-12-2013
if your duties match 2133, then you are 2133 regardless of the name. 'Engineer in Training' vs 'Engineer' is more of approval of designs and all. Some companies refer to EITs as graduate engineer. I believe that what was PEO is saying (from my ethic course in Ontario :)), is that someone misrepresenting themselves as having the authority of an Engineer in the 'professional engineering' world.

Moreover, people that apply from outside Canada (who do not PEO/APEGBC designations), still use 2133.

Hope that helps.

Try and relax, and focus more on ensuring that your duties MATCH the duties outlined any NOC code you belong to.

caissaca

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
Hi there,

I applied with the 2133 and I'm still registered as an Engineer In Training.

I didn't wanted to risk applying with a technologist NOC code because my duties were definitely matching the 2133. I have received my Biodata and RPRF yesterday, but then ofcourse that doesnt mean I'm completely done.

As everyone has replied, I also dont think we need to be a P.Eng to be able to apply with this 2133 NOC code. Apparently HRSDC has a service of recommending you which NOC code to apply with through e-mail. Not entirely sure how that works.

Good luck.

Cyber Tree

Aug 13, 2023
does anyone have solved question papers or any other study material for Digital Systems and Computers (Elec-A4) available? I CAN'T find the recommended text books and recent past paper questions. I have one more attempt left and have been trying to find more resources. I found some online courses for around 900$ which is quite expensive.

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
I'm not sure about other provincial associations, But with PEO (Professional Engineers Ontario), EIT cannot even write "Engineer-in-Training" he can either use "EIT" or "Engineering Intern". But anyways, my employer is not going to write any of them. My letter says Job title as "Electrical Technical Professional". Is this title good enough to apply under NOC 2133 ?
Hi, I know it´s been years. But what was the outcome? I am in a similar situation with no registration under the province but working as a Structural Designer (Civil Engineer duties) under the supervision of a Peng

Monica97

Apr 24, 2024
Hi @daninmotion! I know its been very long since the last conversation but i am in the exact same scenario and confused to choose between codes 2133 (civil engineer) and 22300 (civil technologist). Kindly help me out!
So here’s my story:
I completed my masters in civil engineering in canada and have been working as a Transportation designer which pretty much has most of the duties related to a civil engineer. I am also registered as an EIT in Ontario and havent got my P.Eng. License yet. I design, plan and also assist in preparing technical drawings and reports for many municipal projects in my current firm while being supervised by a P.Eng. The problem that i have is some of my duties match with “Civil engineer -2133” and also with “Civil Technologist- 22300”. I would hugely appreciate anybody that could guide me on what you have done in this particular situation. Considering the recent EE general draws, qualifying under Stem category would help me tremendously but I am not sure if I could use the 2133 Noc. Kindly drop in your inputs guys. Thank you in advance :)

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
Hi @daninmotion! I know its been very long since the last conversation but i am in the exact same scenario and confused to choose between codes 2133 (civil engineer) and 22300 (civil technologist). Kindly help me out!
So here’s my story:
I completed my masters in civil engineering in canada and have been working as a Transportation designer which pretty much has most of the duties related to a civil engineer. I am also registered as an EIT in Ontario and havent got my P.Eng. License yet. I design, plan and also assist in preparing technical drawings and reports for many municipal projects in my current firm while being supervised by a P.Eng. The problem that i have is some of my duties match with “Civil engineer -2133” and also with “Civil Technologist- 22300”. I would hugely appreciate anybody that could guide me on what you have done in this particular situation. Considering the recent EE general draws, qualifying under Stem category would help me tremendously but I am not sure if I could use the 2133 Noc. Kindly drop in your inputs guys. Thank you in advance :)
Sorry for the late reply. I still don't have an answer. Im waiting for an update on my application but it's been the same since 03/06/2024.