+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code choice

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
I've been working for 2 years. For about 16 of those months, I was working under NOC 'A' category. Now, my title is listed under NOC '0' category. I got an extra few responsibilities, but, for the most part, the main duties are still under NOC A.

So, even though I should be ok for the immigration application as both job titles and duties qualify, I do have to list my current job, whose title is at the managerial level, but whose responsibilities are mostly at the "professional" level. So my question is, do I list my current job with the official job title, but a code that is below that title? This way, the title and NOC code won't match. But, i can add an explanation that in this company, that is just how things are done.

My PGWP will expire in November so I will have to apply for an LMO eventually. I want to keep it consistent.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
commentbyiz said:
I've been working for 2 years. For about 16 of those months, I was working under NOC 'A' category. Now, my title is listed under NOC '0' category. I got an extra few responsibilities, but, for the most part, the main duties are still under NOC A.

So, even though I should be ok for the immigration application as both job titles and duties qualify, I do have to list my current job, whose title is at the managerial level, but whose responsibilities are mostly at the "professional" level. So my question is, do I list my current job with the official job title, but a code that is below that title? This way, the title and NOC code won't match. But, i can add an explanation that in this company, that is just how things are done.

My PGWP will expire in November so I will have to apply for an LMO eventually. I want to keep it consistent.
Why on earth would you downplay a promotion on your application? Just to make the paperwork easier? C'mon, a promotion is (a) a good thing, and (b) technically a different job/position, which you are absolutely required to report. (So is your employer, in the Letter of Employment). Since you were on a PGWP, it is entirely legal...

Are you concerned that the new title/NOC does not accurately reflect what you are doing? What are the additional responsibilities ? If they are managerial or supervisory in nature, it is consistent with an O level NOC...

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
I work at a publication. I went from Assistant Editor, to Managing Editor. However, many of my duties are identical; it's just that I now have decision-making power. So I don't have to consult with my Editor-in-Chief on every tiny little thing. The pay, however, does not match the average Managing Editor salaries in the NOC, and many of the duties are missing. So, I'm not too concerned from the immigration side for the CEC application, but am worried that when I have to apply for an LMO, and then eventually for another work permit while my CEC app is being processed, my low salary compared to the occupation average may mean my application is unsuccessful.

In general, yes, while the job is still at least at the A level, many of the duties don't match the title. It just how the publication is structured.

So, my new title is Managing Editor, which is at 0. However, my duties are more consistent with Assistant Editor, which is at A. My day-to-day is actually in between the two. So, I'm stuck in the middle....

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
commentbyiz said:
So, I'm not too concerned from the immigration side for the CEC application, but am worried that when I have to apply for an LMO, and then eventually for another work permit while my CEC app is being processed, my low salary compared to the occupation average may mean my application is unsuccessful.
I agree, it won't matter too much for immigration since both are skilled. As for a future LMO application - it sounds like you will apply for that AFTER your CEC application, so that won't be relevant to CIC either.

RE: LMO - you realize that YOU don't apply for an LMO, right? Your employer does, and it will be his/her application that succeeds or fails. (I know, you're the one who suffers if it does not succeed).

But it will be up to you to explain to your employer that the LMO application is unlikely to be successful if the wage does not meet or exceed the average wage for the occupation. So it will be important for them to either give you a raise :), or choose the NOC / job duties & requirements carefully ...

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
jes_ON said:
I agree, it won't matter too much for immigration since both are skilled. As for a future LMO application - it sounds like you will apply for that AFTER your CEC application, so that won't be relevant to CIC either.

RE: LMO - you realize that YOU don't apply for an LMO, right? Your employer does, and it will be his/her application that succeeds or fails. (I know, you're the one who suffers if it does not succeed).

But it will be up to you to explain to your employer that the LMO application is unlikely to be successful if the wage does not meet or exceed the average wage for the occupation. So it will be important for them to either give you a raise :), or choose the NOC / job duties & requirements carefully ...
i know it'll be the employer that files the LMO. do you have any information about what happens if they don't have the regional wage data for my occupation? The only thing listed is either a specific city, or national. The city is considerably bigger than where I live, so cost of living/wages are higher. there is no wage data either on my city, or the region, or other regions similar to it. just national, and some random cities.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
no, I don't know. I suspect that HRSDC has pretty good data. And it's all too common for employers to take advantage of foreign workers (esp. those on PGWPs) and pay a substandard wage. It's important that your employer be aware that this abuse of foreign workers is what HRSDC is concerned about...