+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC code and Reference letters related query

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018
Hi all,

I have a question regarding my occupation in Express Entry profile. I have total 6 years of experience for 3 different companies and I am wondering if I should mention all of them or just the one for which I have experience letters/reference letters (to back up).
I have worked in 3 different industries in 3 different roles - latest being the Software Engineer. My timeline :

Current job : Approx. 4 years as a Software Engineer (NOC Code - 2173)- can easily get the Reference letter with all the details from my employer.

Previous Job : Worked as an Associate for 9 months at Analytics company (I think Database Analyst/Developer 2172 matches more). I have only Service letter- they don't give the reference letters detailing job responsibilities - my ex- coworkers / employees might not be able to provide the reference letter as well.

First Job : Worked as a Test Engineer for almost 2 years. I think it comes under 2173 NOC code. Same scenario as the other job where only coworkers might be able to help.

So, with this situation, I am wondering what should I fill in "Date XXX YYY first became qualified to practice in this occupation" ? Should I fill 2015 (when I joined my current job as Software engineer) or should I fill 2012 (when i started doing my job as Test Engineer and probably I won't get the same references to back up) ?

Please suggest me what should I fill as I am very confused. Thanks a lot!

lonefox

Star Member
Sep 19, 2016
Hi All,

I have a query regarding the reference letter from previous employers. I have close to 8 years of experience and unfortunately I have changed 4 companies in the span of 8 years
Company 1: 3 years
Company 2: 4 months
Company 3: 6 months
Company 4: 1.2 years
Current Company: close to 3 years
I think it's impossible for me to get the reference letters from all these companies. But I have all the relevant documents like experience letters, pay slips, form 16 etc.

Also, since anything more than 3 years is treated the same, does mentioning last 3 years of experience suffice?

Please guide me with this situation.

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018
Hi Seniors,

Any response to my query. I am wondering whether I should mentioned the previous job experiences at all in my Express Entry profile or not since I already qualify for minimum 3 years of experience for max points?
Currently, my CRS is 438 and if my score is increased by 0.5 in Writing during revaluation, my new CRS would be 441. Please guide me.

Thanks

Hi all,

I have a question regarding my occupation in Express Entry profile. I have total 6 years of experience for 3 different companies and I am wondering if I should mention all of them or just the one for which I have experience letters/reference letters (to back up).
I have worked in 3 different industries in 3 different roles - latest being the Software Engineer. My timeline :

Current job : Approx. 4 years as a Software Engineer (NOC Code - 2173)- can easily get the Reference letter with all the details from my employer.

Previous Job : Worked as an Associate for 9 months at Analytics company (I think Database Analyst/Developer 2172 matches more). I have only Service letter- they don't give the reference letters detailing job responsibilities - my ex- coworkers / employees might not be able to provide the reference letter as well.

First Job : Worked as a Test Engineer for almost 2 years. I think it comes under 2173 NOC code. Same scenario as the other job where only coworkers might be able to help.

So, with this situation, I am wondering what should I fill in "Date XXX YYY first became qualified to practice in this occupation" ? Should I fill 2015 (when I joined my current job as Software engineer) or should I fill 2012 (when i started doing my job as Test Engineer and probably I won't get the same references to back up) ?

catalyst441

Sep 5, 2018
Hi Seniors,

Any response to my query. I am wondering whether I should mentioned the previous job experiences at all in my Express Entry profile or not since I already qualify for minimum 3 years of experience for max points?
Currently, my CRS is 438 and if my score is increased by 0.5 in Writing during revaluation, my new CRS would be 441. Please guide me.

Thanks

If you mention your previous jobs in the work history then you'll be required to produce reference letters from those employers. I would suggest you mention your current job in the work history and the other jobs in the Personal History only.

Currently, my CRS is 438 and if my score is increased by 0.5 in Writing during revaluation, my new CRS would be 441.

If you're very much confident about what you wrote in IELTS and it deserved 0.5 points more the go ahead with it.

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018

If you mention your previous jobs in the work history then you'll be required to produce reference letters from those employers. I would suggest you mention your current job in the work history and the other jobs in the Personal History only.

Currently, my CRS is 438 and if my score is increased by 0.5 in Writing during revaluation, my new CRS would be 441.

If you're very much confident about what you wrote in IELTS and it deserved 0.5 points more the go ahead with it.

Thanks for your response catalyst441.

Regarding the work history and personal history, I won't mention previous job expereinces in Work History but I would like to know where exactly is the option to fill the personal history?
Also, how would I show the gap between 2012-2015 (for the previous work experience)? Thanks

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018
I am submitting EE profile and I don't see any option for Personal history right now. Where can i see this Option? Please guide me

Thanks

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi all,

Like @catalyst441 mentioned, only include jobs in work history section for which you are claiming points. With the 4 years, you will have already maxed out on CRS points for work xp, and will get 13 out of 15 possible FSW eligibility points. If you include all of them, you will be required to provide a reference letter for each one of them.

Your current job is the only one, for which you are able to get all required documents per IRCC standards, so I really suggest you just stick with this one in your profile.

The other jobs, mention them in persona history, which will appear once you receive ITA.
The date you became qualified, you can enter the date you started the jobs. That's what most people do.

I'd also definitely recommend re-evaluating your IELTS score, as the additional CRS points can make a big difference at that level.

Reactions: gm2611

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi All,

I have a query regarding the reference letter from previous employers. I have close to 8 years of experience and unfortunately I have changed 4 companies in the span of 8 years
Company 1: 3 years
Company 2: 4 months
Company 3: 6 months
Company 4: 1.2 years
Current Company: close to 3 years
I think it's impossible for me to get the reference letters from all these companies. But I have all the relevant documents like experience letters, pay slips, form 16 etc.

Also, since anything more than 3 years is treated the same, does mentioning last 3 years of experience suffice?

Please guide me with this situation.
Note: Anything above 3 years is treated the same in terms of CRS points only, but not in terms of FSW eligibility points. With 3 years, you get 11 FSW points, 13 FSW points for 4-5 years, and 15 FSW points for 6+ years.

Concerning your choice of experiences, can you get required documents per IRCC standards for your current job? If so, that's your battle horse. Your most important employment document will be the reference letter with all required information (duties, salary, hours, etc...).
You don't need to get reference letters for all your jobs if you put the other ones in personal history.

gm2611

Aug 26, 2018
Like @catalyst441 mentioned, only include jobs in work history section for which you are claiming points. With the 4 years, you will have already maxed out on CRS points for work xp, and will get 13 out of 15 possible FSW eligibility points. If you include all of them, you will be required to provide a reference letter for each one of them.

Your current job is the only one, for which you are able to get all required documents per IRCC standards, so I really suggest you just stick with this one in your profile.

The other jobs, mention them in persona history, which will appear once you receive ITA.
The date you became qualified, you can enter the date you started the jobs. That's what most people do.

I'd also definitely recommend re-evaluating your IELTS score, as the additional CRS points can make a big difference at that level.

Thank you for your detailed response. I will fill work history with only current job then, as i have 3 years and 10 months and put other jobs in Personal history after ITA. With regards to FSW points, I am getting 70 points by putting 4-5 years work experience and 68 points by putting 2-3 years. So, I think I'm good there for 67 points cut-off.

Regarding the IRCC standard employment letter, my employer is pretty co-operative. So, I should be good there. Do you have the format by any chance ? Thanks

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you for your detailed response. I will fill work history with only current job then, as i have 3 years and 10 months and put other jobs in Personal history after ITA. With regards to FSW points, I am getting 70 points by putting 4-5 years work experience and 68 points by putting 2-3 years. So, I think I'm good there for 67 points cut-off.

Regarding the IRCC standard employment letter, my employer is pretty co-operative. So, I should be good there. Do you have the format by any chance ? Thanks
It's just a standard letter format.
You can use this:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/format-for-reference-letter-express-entry.568833/

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Thank you so much. One last question : I am currently working as a consultant for a client as a software engineer. Do I need to get the end client letter or just the employer letter on letterhead will suffice?

Thanks
From employer

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi Peacekeeper87,
you had greath results in TEF/IELTS tests. any tips on how to approach them or any suggestion on preparation materials? i will appreciate that :)!
For TEF, I suggest checking the following youtube channel. It's very close to what you get on test day.
Also, check one of my previous posts about it right after I took it.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/tef-test-is-easy-or-difficult.368401/page-21#post-7099240

For IELTS, I suggest checking Jay from Youtube channel E2 Language. Very useful!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCglDIsg_Z9mE2oT9hsrbzFA

For TEF, I don't know your language level, but one should be very careful in the reading section. It's a bit less straightforward than IELTS reading section, and questions are not necessarily laid out as the text goes. For example, the answer the first question may be in the middle of text, while the second question might be from the very beginning. Skimming doesn't always work very well.
Also for writing, practice structure and vocabulary a lot, as examiners give a lot of importance to complexity of words and if they are used correctly. Practice Speaking as well! I personally found it to be very unnatural unlike IELTS. It's kind of a role-play. Check my post linked above.

For IELTS, I found it to be straightforward, as long as you practice different types of sections. E2 Language ought to be enough.

Good luck!