+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC and NAFTA lists

ejp12

Sep 7, 2022
Hello,

I am trying to find employment in Canada as a US citizen, possibly through NAFTA in the hopes of getting a job that does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment. My occupation is not on the NAFTA list. Does anyone know if the National Occupational Classification (NOC) list is the same as the NAFTA list? I have been able to find my occupation on the NOC list but could not tell if the two lists are interchangeable.

Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am trying to find employment in Canada as a US citizen, possibly through NAFTA in the hopes of getting a job that does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment. My occupation is not on the NAFTA list. Does anyone know if the National Occupational Classification (NOC) list is the same as the NAFTA list? I have been able to find my occupation on the NOC list but could not tell if the two lists are interchangeable.

Thank you!
The CUSMA list is a select list of professional NOCs. See 3.8 in the link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/international-free-trade-agreements/cusma.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thank you!
They are not interchangeable. One is a list of all occupations. The other is a list of occupations that qualify for an LMIA exemption under CUSMA (new NAFTA). If your occupation isn't on the list of the CUSMA occupations provided in the post above, you don't qualify for an LMIA exemption.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

Thank you!
1. 2 different lists, the NOC lists all jobs, NAFTA list is eligible list for LMIA free jobs.