Mustafa83

Oct 17, 2017
Azerbaijan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Saskatchewan
NOC Code......
So, I guess not many people are in a similar situation, but think there is a decent number of people who are.

I am qualified lawyer in my home country with more than 10 years expereince. That would fall under NOC 4112 (Lawyers and Quebec notaries), which is a regulated occupation in Canada. Thus, I think there is no chance to be nominated by any province, since I have not seen a province that had NOC 4112 as an in-demand occupation.

However, NOC 4211 (Paralegal and related occupations) is not a regulated occupation and some provinces have it as an in-demand occupation.

After my research on this forum and communication with some of the immigration consultants I came to a conclusion that what matters as far as immigration is concerned is not your job title, but your job duties and as such arouns 60-70% of your duties must match the declared NOC.

Thus, even though foreign lawyers do not have much chance of beeing nominated I guess the following might work for foreign lawyers willing to move to Canada:
  • in your EE profile select NOC 4211
  • in your reference letter name your position as Legal Consultant, Legal Associate or something like that
  • make sure most of your duties are similar to the ones related to paralegals
  • list some of the duties related to lawyers

What do you think?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sure if you want to “fudge” your experience, roles & responsibilities, you can try. Officers may feel you are misrepresenting yourself because you have a law degree but using paralegal NOC especially if you are working in your home country. Assume you are thinking of SINP. What is your score?

Mustafa83

Oct 17, 2017
Azerbaijan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Saskatchewan
NOC Code......
Sure if you want to “fudge” your experience, roles & responsibilities, you can try. Officers may feel you are misrepresenting yourself because you have a law degree but using paralegal NOC especially if you are working in your home country. Assume you are thinking of SINP. What is your score?
Yes, I'm thinking about SINP. My score is 68 and that is the most I can get.
Unfortunately, under SINP only paralegals are eligible to apply, but not lawyers.

As far as I know what they check are job duties not the job title. That is why I'm considering mixing it a bit, with most duties of paralegal and some of a lawyer.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, I'm thinking about SINP. My score is 68 and that is the most I can get.
Unfortunately, under SINP only paralegals are eligible to apply, but not lawyers.

As far as I know what they check are job duties not the job title. That is why I'm considering mixing it a bit, with most duties of paralegal and some of a lawyer.
SINP may look at your law degree and may say your NOC doesn’t match. So be prepared as they know that applicants will change NOCs if the obvious NOC is ineligible. all the best.

Mustafa83

Oct 17, 2017
Azerbaijan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Saskatchewan
NOC Code......
SINP may look at your law degree and may say your NOC doesn’t match. So be prepared as they know that applicants will change NOCs if the obvious NOC is ineligible. all the best.
Ok, thanks a lot.
I will try and hope for the best since I am downgrading my NOC and not the other way around.

Better try and regret, than not try at all :)

Advmak

Feb 21, 2021
I m in similar situation. Could you plz tell me as a lawyer did you applied under NOC 4211. Did your profile accepted. Or did your method of mixing Noc worked?

Hyelhirra

Feb 19, 2021
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I'm in a similar situation. Please tell me, did downgrading your NOC work and was your profile accepted?

Mustafa83

Oct 17, 2017
Azerbaijan
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Saskatchewan
NOC Code......
I'm in a similar situation. Please tell me, did downgrading your NOC work and was your profile accepted?
I have created completely new Express Entry profile with this NOC and submitted an EOI to SINP. Haven't been invited by Saskatchewan yet so cannot say whether it will work or not.

If I get a nomination in the next couple of years (while my IELTS and ECA are valid) I will be able to give you an answer :)

Until now I will just have to wait.

billu sanda

Dec 14, 2021
I have created completely new Express Entry profile with this NOC and submitted an EOI to SINP. Haven't been invited by Saskatchewan yet so cannot say whether it will work or not.

If I get a nomination in the next couple of years (while my IELTS and ECA are valid) I will be able to give you an answer :)

Until now I will just have to wait.
any update on this????