+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012

bhawu

May 11, 2019
Hi All, I am trying to claim work experience under NOC 4012. I worked as a research assistant in a university in US for a period of 4 years, I received regular salaries during the semester but for summers I had a one time scholarship (while still working for the professor) and no regular salaries. Working hours is 20 per week, Is it possible for me to claim work experience in this situation. Thanks for your help and time. Best Regards

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hi All, I am trying to claim work experience under NOC 4012. I worked as a research assistant in a university in US for a period of 4 years, I received regular salaries during the semester but for summers I had a one time scholarship (while still working for the professor) and no regular salaries. Working hours is 20 per week, Is it possible for me to claim work experience in this situation. Thanks for your help and time. Best Regards
Work experience has to be continuous and paid if there is a discontinuity or a period of unpaid work that won’t be counted

bhawu

May 11, 2019
Thank you. There was no discontinuity and work was always paid. The only thing is I was getting scholarship in summers and regular salary during semesters.

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021
Hi,

I am presently a PhD student in the US. I have 1 year 11 months and 23 days of part time (20 hrs/week) as a teaching assistant. I used this as my primary NOC code. Do you think this will work?

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
As long as your official period of employment as an RA is four back-to-back years, and you worked every Fall and Spring semester in those four years, you should be fine. Your appointment letter would probably also say something like your appointment is for every Fall and Spring semester, right? Summers aren't usually considered "in session," so it shouldn't affect your continuity.

I am presently a PhD student in the US. I have 1 year 11 months and 23 days of part time (20 hrs/week) as a teaching assistant. I used this as my primary NOC code. Do you think this will work?
If it totals 1,560 hours, yes, it will work.

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021
As long as your official period of employment as an RA is four back-to-back years, and you worked every Fall and Spring semester in those four years, you should be fine. Your appointment letter would probably also say something like your appointment is for every Fall and Spring semester, right? Summers aren't usually considered "in session," so it shouldn't affect your continuity.

If it totals 1,560 hours, yes, it will work.
Thanks a lot.

Mgholanda

Nov 27, 2017
Hi there,

I see several successful cases with in using this experience from PHD or Master's degree level, but not in my partivular case. In Brazil, we have what we call at the universities here as "iniciação científica", that is basically a program funded by the Brazilian government that pays undergraduate students to work with scientific research at the universities departments. I worked as part time payed university research fellow in a department of my university in Brazil for 2 years, however, I was not at the master's or PHD level, but at the undergraduate level. During this period, my tasks were pretty much similar to those of the students at the graduate level. Does someone knows if the experience in this NOC can be acquired during a undergraduate program? Does anyone know any successful cases similar to mine? What should I do? I need to use this experience to be eligible for FSWP in EE. I've already written the work experience letter from my supervisor and he already signed it. I am also concerned with the fact that despite we are payed for it in Brazil, this is not considered work here, I don't know why.

regards,

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
If I have experience under NOC 4012 that's alternating TA and RA for the past 6 years - does it count as continuous experience?

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
If I have experience under NOC 4012 that's alternating TA and RA for the past 6 years - does it count as continuous experience?
It should because that's a pretty common occurrence in this NOC, right? The NOC itself is for teaching and research assistants. I would think your job letter just needs to say that you were employed by the same university in the same department for however many years continuously, and you just alternated between TA and RA roles (based on departmental need) for the entire duration. Include the duties for each position as well. To cover all your bases, you can also upload an LOE explaining the situation.

Don't just take my word for it, though, because I ended up claiming NOC 4031. XD

Reactions: Linalin

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
It should because that's a pretty common occurrence in this NOC, right? The NOC itself is for teaching and research assistants. I would think your job letter just needs to say that you were employed by the same university in the same department for however many years continuously, and you just alternated between TA and RA roles (based on departmental need) for the entire duration. Include the duties for each position as well. To cover all your bases, you can also upload an LOE explaining the situation.

Don't just take my word for it, though, because I ended up claiming NOC 4031. XD
Thank you very much! :) I think my department and I have come to a reasonable way to express my duties and hours in the letter, so hopefully it works out!

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Hi all, I've another question I could use your advice on! My department says they can provide me with letters in two ways:
1) My PhD advisor (and I TAd for him) could write me a letter stating my duties, and our department administrator would write the letter stating the hours/salaries/other info, or
2) Our department administrator can write one letter stating everything from duties to administrative information.
Which do you think is better? Thanks to you all again for advice!