+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Noc 4012, counting work experience

alilebanon

Apr 1, 2018
I'm a master student ( outside of Canada) and the funding I receive require me yo work as a graduate assistant GA at my faculty, noc 4012.
In my contract it is stated that I work a total of 16 hrs/week, but I only get paid for 8 hrs/week, as the other 8 hrs are part of the funding.
So when I finish my degree, I would've worked for 3 consecutive years (including the summer) in the same noc 4012, but the problem is with the total number of hours worked as I need a minimum of 1560 hrs, and as it is stated on the immigration site the work experience will only count if it's continuous and paid. If I count that I worked for the 8hrs (paid) the I will not meet the minimum 1560 hrs. But if I can get a letter from the chairman or anyone at the university saying that indeed I worked for 16 hrs, and 8 of them were part of the funding, then I will meet the minimum 1560 hrs. And will be able to claim points for them.
Any help with that, can this work ???

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I'm a master student ( outside of Canada) and the funding I receive require me yo work as a graduate assistant GA at my faculty, noc 4012.
In my contract it is stated that I work a total of 16 hrs/week, but I only get paid for 8 hrs/week, as the other 8 hrs are part of the funding.
So when I finish my degree, I would've worked for 3 consecutive years (including the summer) in the same noc 4012, but the problem is with the total number of hours worked as I need a minimum of 1560 hrs, and as it is stated on the immigration site the work experience will only count if it's continuous and paid. If I count that I worked for the 8hrs (paid) the I will not meet the minimum 1560 hrs. But if I can get a letter from the chairman or anyone at the university saying that indeed I worked for 16 hrs, and 8 of them were part of the funding, then I will meet the minimum 1560 hrs. And will be able to claim points for them.
Any help with that, can this work ???
If you had to work for 8 hours in order to receive that funding, then you did get paid for doing the work, which should count.

Reactions: smash1984

alilebanon

Apr 1, 2018
If you had to work for 8 hours in order to receive that funding, then you did get paid for doing the work, which should count.
The problem is not that if the 8 hrs will count or no, they will definitely be counted as I have proof of them, but unfortunately working 8 hrs/week for 3 years doesn't get me 1560 hrs.
My main concern is, in the GA contract it's stated that I work a total of 16 hrs/week, be i het paid for only 8 hrs. So I'm asking if I can count that I worked 16 hrs/week despite the fact that 8 of them were not directly paid for me but they were "waived" or part of the funding

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I didn't talk about the salary you earned by working 8 hours, but the funding you received by working another 8 hours. You should read the response carefully.

Reactions: alilebanon