+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4012 change (in the lasted 2016 version)?

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Hi all,

I wonder if some of you who apply as TA/RA notice that the duties of NOC 4012 in the 2016 version of NOC pages are a bit odd?

Main duties
  • Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.
  • Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
Post-secondary teaching assistants
  • Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
  • Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
  • Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
Research assistants
  • Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures

Apart from the duties of TA and RA being mismatched, why do they isolate the first two duties (grading and compiling research results)? Does that mean these two are the "essential" duties now, and need to be fulfilled? Not sure if I can still use NOC 4012 for those TA appointments where I was not asked to grade. Some of my TA experience covers all teaching responsibilities except for grading papers/exams, and I was fine with the 2011 Version until now...

Thanks!