+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NOC 4011 for lecturers

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Yes, I'm on Post-ITA, but the NOC is still important because the documents I submit need to proof my claimed NOC, and at the Post-ITA stage, it's still possible to change NOCs. That's why I started a thread asking if I should switch NOCs.

Basically, if I claim NOC 4011, I have to scrape together some part-time hours (20 hours per week from August 2015 to May 2017) and full-time hours (30 hours per week from June 2017 to May 2018) to barely just get one continuous year of full-time work, and that's still hoping that my previous employer would write a reference letter that considers me employed for an uninterrupted amount of time between part- and full-time. There's also the added worry that IRCC won't consider my part-time hours because I got them during a period of full-time study, even though the job is literally the same as the one for my full-time hours.

However, if I claim NOC 4031 (Secondary School Teachers), I have 35 hours per week from August 2014 to July 2015, in addition to my 45 hours per week now at my current job that I started in September 2018. If I decline my current ITA and wait for the next one, I would have at least two years of experience, including one continuous year, to claim for NOC 4031.

The question I asked in my thread is whether I'll need to submit additional documents in order to claim NOC 4031, such as provincial licenses (or proof of eligibility) or TESL Canada certification. Do y'all happen to know or know people who know?
For your NOC 4011, if I remember correctly, you can have multiple jobs and piece them together to form a 1 year continuous experience.
Also, the only scenario where IRCC won't consider your work experience gained during full-time study in Canada is when you apply under CEC program. That is, If you had worked during your full-time study in Canada, you can still use it provided that you apply under FSW. If that experience took place outside Canada, you don't even need to worry.

Regarding certificate for NOC 4031, I supposed it depends on where you worked. In Canada? And is registration required to teach in secondary school there? If yes to both questions, perhaps you should, since IRCC can reasonably question how you got the job when you did not have a proper registration in the country. On the other hand, there are plenty of countries where being a secondary school teacher does not require any type of certificate/license, and if that is your case you should be fine without one.

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
For your NOC 4011, if I remember correctly, you can have multiple jobs and piece them together to form a 1 year continuous experience.
Also, the only scenario where IRCC won't consider your work experience gained during full-time study in Canada is when you apply under CEC program. That is, If you had worked during your full-time study in Canada, you can still use it provided that you apply under FSW. If that experience took place outside Canada, you don't even need to worry.
Oh! That changes things then because neither my full-time study nor my part-time work during that time was in Canada; they were both in the U.S. That makes sense, though, that that condition only applies to CEC applicants. Thanks! You seem to be helping me more than I'm helping you, lol. I appreciate that. <3

Regarding certificate for NOC 4031, I supposed it depends on where you worked. In Canada? And is registration required to teach in secondary school there? If yes to both questions, perhaps you should, since IRCC can reasonably question how you got the job when you did not have a proper registration in the country. On the other hand, there are plenty of countries where being a secondary school teacher does not require any type of certificate/license, and if that is your case you should be fine without one.
That's a good point. My 4031 experiences are first in Malaysia and now in China, and both countries just require a minimum of a relevant B.A. to teach secondary school. Maybe I'll see what I can get from my previous employer with regards to reference letters first before I decide whether to claim 4011 or 4031. 4021 seems out of the question for both of us at this point, I think.

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
I also just realized: the lead statement for 4011 mentions teaching undergraduates and graduates as well as conducting research. I just taught undergrads, and I didn't conduct any research as part of my job. Does that disqualify me from 4011? @Sobiamirza, what do you think?

Sobiamirza

Star Member
Apr 19, 2019
I also just realized: the lead statement for 4011 mentions teaching undergraduates and graduates as well as conducting research. I just taught undergrads, and I didn't conduct any research as part of my job. Does that disqualify me from 4011? @Sobiamirza, what do you think?
U should either teach undergraduates or post graduates or both,research at ds point is optional

Reactions: DrBDash

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I'm on the same boat. So your NOC 4011 percentage is also about 67% when those may duties are excluded?

Anyway I don't think you need to teach both undergrad and grad courses to be qualified. I mean, some Canadian art departments only offer bachelor's degrees, but they are in universities not colleges.

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
I'm on the same boat. So your NOC 4011 percentage is also about 67% when those may duties are excluded?
Yeah, 67% if the May duties are excluded, but only 44% if the May duties are included. I read somewhere on this forum that the May duties are not included because otherwise, why say May to begin with, right? So much of this forum is interpreting the semantics of IRCC's wordings, I feel like. :p

@Sobiamirza, are you still in contact with the folks from this forum who received their PR through NOC 4011? Is there any way we can get in touch with them?

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah, 67% if the May duties are excluded, but only 44% if the May duties are included. I read somewhere on this forum that the May duties are not included because otherwise, why say May to begin with, right? So much of this forum is interpreting the semantics of IRCC's wordings, I feel like. :p

@Sobiamirza, are you still in contact with the folks from this forum who received their PR through NOC 4011? Is there any way we can get in touch with them?
Gotcha. but do you need that NOC 4011 experience? I mean, if your NOC 4031 gives you enough points, then you might as well remove the NOC 4011 experience?

sphng

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Gotcha. but do you need that NOC 4011 experience? I mean, if your NOC 4031 gives you enough points, then you might as well remove the NOC 4011 experience?
Yeah, I think 4031 is the easier route for me in terms of claiming a primary occupation, but including the 4011 experience gives me more points for foreign work experience (50 for 3+ years vs. only 25 for 1-2 years).

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah, I think 4031 is the easier route for me in terms of claiming a primary occupation, but including the 4011 experience gives me more points for foreign work experience (50 for 3+ years vs. only 25 for 1-2 years).
Well, just make sure that talking NOC 4011 away won't make your score drop below the cut-off!
Btw, do you know if the EE system accepts decimal for weekly working hours (like 26.5 hours/week)?

Sobiamirza

Star Member
Apr 19, 2019

I have shared his number in ur inbox

Reactions: DrBDash and sphng

DrBDash

Jan 30, 2020
New Delhi India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Well i wrked as an assistant professor at a college which was affiliated to a university,my duties wer similar to those of 4011 so i went wd 4011 rather than 4021...i even spoke to few others who received their ppr on ds forum wd similar case like mine and they suggested me to go wd dat,my aor is may n i really hope i get my pr soon!
Thank you. I am so happy to find this answer to what i have been looking through every page of google. I am glad you chose 4011 and very well explained when despite working in a college why you chose 4011 and not 4021. I am so happy to find your answer and feel like hugging you right away. May i have your email id please, only if you dnt mind? I would also love to get the contact details of senior members who got PR with 4011. You know Sobia, i have so many little little questions related to my noc, will really be grateful if you can provide the contact details of them. God bless.

Reactions: Sobiamirza

Sobiamirza

Star Member
Apr 19, 2019
Thank you. I am so happy to find this answer to what i have been looking through every page of google. I am glad you chose 4011 and very well explained when despite working in a college why you chose 4011 and not 4021. I am so happy to find your answer and feel like hugging you right away. May i have your email id please, only if you dnt mind? I would also love to get the contact details of senior members who got PR with 4011. You know Sobia, i have so many little little questions related to my noc, will really be grateful if you can provide the contact details of them. God bless.
I am happy to know my post helped,i will message u my id n yes 4011 was what i chose n i got my ppr within 6 mnths without any issues,just remember to chose noc based on ur job duties

Reactions: DrBDash